Natural nails rejecting enamel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marilyn

I have a client that cannot keep enamel on her natural nails even over night without it starting to peel off, sometimes in one piece, sometimes in small bits, after they look like the enamel has blistered. Assuming that this is due to a very oily nail plate, I have tried dehydrating her nail plate with cuticle remover as you do when doing enhancements and then wiping with scrubfresh and it makes no difference. I have tried different makes of enamels, I have tried with base coat and without base coat and still no luck. I have suggested we just buff up her nails with a chamois buffer to give them shine but she wants to be able to wear coloured enamels. Any ideas what else I can do???????????:confused:

wanna know what i use ? i wipe em down with alcohol first, then acetone, i have some clients that the enamel used to sort of "ripple", then when i started doing the above, then base coat, 2 coats polish (any brand) & a top coat (no probs), acetone does give the cuticle a kinda "dry" look, but i compensate for this by using OPI drip dry........ amazing results

Glorsclaws...I have looked at the other thread but all the things suggested I have tried already.

Nailzoo...what alchohol do you use? That is the only thing I havent done, but I have tried acetone, this was the first thing I tried!

I have not had this problem with any other client so that is why I assume with this one it is an oily nail plate.:(

Most nail companies will supply manicurist alcohol (around 70 % isoproplyl alchohol) , or you can even go to medical suppliers and get alcohol wipes (the same ones they use before the stick a needle in you at the doctors), some techs may flinch at these wipes..... but clients think it's amazing to see you use something so sterile their own doctors use it, OPI also have an alcohol wipe liquid, i tend to go for ingredients rather than brand, doctors wipes are very reasonably priced (i use one for each hand)

nailzoo said:
Most nail companies will supply manicurist alcohol (around 70 % isoproplyl alchohol) , or you can even go to medical suppliers and get alcohol wipes (the same ones they use before the stick a needle in you at the doctors), some techs may flinch at these wipes..... but clients think it's amazing to see you use something so sterile their own doctors use it, OPI also have an alcohol wipe liquid, i tend to go for ingredients rather than brand, doctors wipes are very reasonably priced (i use one for each hand)

Great idea I will get some alchohol wipes.....I had visions of getting out the gin bottle but she would probably drink that!!! LOL:D

would it help to very lightly remove the shine from the nail plate with a gentle buffer and then dehydrate with acetone. then a base coat like the orly rubbery one or stickey by creative.
dont buff too often though or you'll thin the nail.

angel fingers said:
would it help to very lightly remove the shine from the nail plate with a gentle buffer and then dehydrate with acetone. then a base coat like the orly rubbery one or stickey by creative.
dont buff too often though or you'll thin the nail.

I already do a full PREP to remove everything on her nails plate and that includes 2 downwards wipes with a fine buffer....makes no difference. I have tried both of the base coats you mentioned but still the enamel AND the base coat comes off!!

I am going to try the alchohol wipes and see if that helps.

blimey:eek: let us know if the alcohol helps.

If it does why not try mxing a colour in l&P and applying an overlay one chip proof manciure

scattyfox said:
If it does why not try mxing a colour in l&P and applying an overlay one chip proof manciure

Did suggest this but she doesnt want any overlays and I just wonnder if the enamel wont stay on, would overlays??

Marilyn said:
Did suggest this but she doesnt want any overlays and I just wonnder if the enamel wont stay on, would overlays??
being a Cuticles franchisee I imagine you use Retention+, if so then it's designed to bond with the natural nail, you shouldn't have problems with it.
the enamel will stay on an enhancement longer than a natural nail, might be worth applying a thin overlay.

My daughter has this problem too..it just peels off in one piece.

I de-hydrate the plate with acetone and then use a primer pen (The Edge one) and that seems to do the trick.

Failing that...a nail varnish with plenty of glitter in it stays on her nails for ages.

Latest posts

Back