need advice about new shop

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niksaki

Reaction score
ok i need some advice....
so we all know i use to work in a nail salon right,then a hairdressers,only they both didnt work out for various reasons (nothing to do with my ability to do nails :lol: )
anyway i got a fantastic oppt yesterday..my friend who does nails wants to open a nail shop, she has been looking for a while for a shop in a good area but reasonable price and found one! she has asked me to go in with her, (so halves i could say?)
only problem is at the moment i only have four clients..do you think i should say no, or just get in there and give this thing a real BIG go!?
the rent i would be paying is only $65 (au) per week.....i really want to go for it, but its a big step you know? so a little hesitant..:rolleyes: :lol:
thanks people
Nic

p.s. if anyone can direct me to a thread about names for salons that would be great.

I'd say go for it, you only live once, grab the opportunity by both hand and get stuck in!! It sounds like a bargain at only $65 AUD!! Can sort of convert it through my brother!!

Good luck whatever the outcome!! xx:hug:

The question you have to ask yourself here is 'What do I have to loose?'

I took a big leap 5 months ago with opening my own salon, I took a chance, and 5 months on, its still open and ticking along nicely :)

You only come this way once, will you be left wondering 'what if?' if you choose to pass this up?

If the rent really is as cheap as that, and thats all you would have to pay out (take into account all your stock and bills etc) then I'd jump in head first! This could be your way to build up your client base and become a roaring success! :D :D Sometimes you just have to take a risk.

Who would be responsible for fitting out the salon etc? retail? have you worked that side of things out yet?

Friends and business sometimes dont work....I've seen many a friendship wrecked by business. Just helps to have everything sorted out and on paper, so you both know where the other is coming from.

Hope this helps x :hug:

thanks ladies,
well we will be going halves in all the bills, however we will be paying them weekly just so we can keep on top of them, and retail, well we have our own reatil items for sale, she uses all bio, i use all creative, we have our own desks and chairs etc that will come along nicely together, and all the furniture? i have been buying bits and pieces for about a year to fit out a salon so we shoud be fine with all of that i think.
as for the business, we will be having one business name,advertising etc however really we will be running our own..ie: own clients,books,cash etc
hope this all makes sense?
i think it is an excellent oppt, the more i think it through the more i like the idea, and yeah it really isnt that much to lose considering i am doing next to nothing at the moment right?
also i will be doing my waxing course and eyelash/brow tiniting course this winter (june/july) so i will have add ons, and my friend already does both of those.
thanks nic

I think it is a wonderful idea... it's exctly how I started out five years ago, except that I had to take on a long lease... worked out fine!

There's one other thing to consider though...

You both use different products, and will be operating as seperate businesses.. so are you both sure you could handle it if one of you is really busy and the other isn't? Will this effect your friendship? will you be able to support each other when you both want the same client who comes through the door?

Sorry to be negative..... look at the above carefully and be honest with yourself.

Good luck, and I hope you find it a wonderfully successful business venture!

Sue x

Sorry to be negative, but my first thought is why is the rent so cheap. $130p/w is very cheap, so I'd be thinking what's wrong with the place. Make sure you do your homework.

Latest posts

Back