Need help and advice! Gelish on a 10 year old

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kew95

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I have had a mother in today wanting her daughter whose 10years old to have gelish on to stop her biting I said to come in with her Saturday and we would decide what could do after looking at her nails.

In my insurance it doesn't say another about ages so I could do it but I don't know if I am comfortable she only wants a pal.

Sorry phone summited that, she only wants a pale colour just looking for come advise what you guys think.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't do it. If she's a biter she will probably bite the Gelish off too, or pick it off. But I wouldn't do Gelish on a child anyway, even a non biter.
I'd say to use the nasty tasting polish which I think can be used at 10 years old.

I would check with your insurance.i too used to be a nail bitter until I discovered shellac :) now the only problem I have is having to file my long nails.

I think most insurance companies say you need a parent to sign a form and to be present throughout the treatment then it's ok

My little girl is a biter and literally can not stop picking/biting her nails.

During her last school holidays she begged and pleaded with me to have Shellac, so I eventually gave in and did it, no PEP (and no ScrubFresh) as I didn't want to go into too much detail doing her nails. I'm SO glad I didn't as guess what she did as soon as we got home?

Yup she sat there and picked it all off! NEVER AGAIN! I'm so glad I didn't do a thorough application as I'm certain she would've torn half of her nail plate away too.

Lesson learned there. Tell her mum that it won't make her stop biting. She'll stop when she's ready.

Xx

Did Shellac service on a 14 year old, last Friday. It was a treat off her Mum who was having hers done as well. I made sure Mum knew about the system, what I would be using etc, and then got her to sign a client card stating that she had been told all details before I started on her daughter. She was more than happy to do this, and was very impressed with her daughters manicure. I also mentioned that young ones tend not to be too careful about their nails, so the Shellac may not last the usual 2 weeks. She said she understood, and was glad that I'd mentioned it. She was my youngest client, my Granddaughters don't pay, and are over 16. (I just can't make them pay, I must be a soft touch, lol)

I don't do any type of enhancement or UV polish on anyone under 16, even if my insurance covered it and the parent was ok I still wouldn't do it. They might pick or bite them off especially if they're already a nail biter which will just ruin their nails! I'd offer VINYLUX, they might not bite the nails if they look nice and it lasts so they could have weekly VINYLUX manicures and use solar oil daily. I used to be a biter but when they were polished I wouldn't do it, broke the habit and haven't done it in years x

All of the manufacturers and their association say that enhancement products, including gel and gel polish should not be used on children. We can quibble over what age is no longer a child, but I would argue that 10 years old is too young. Since you would be doing this against the instructions of the manufacturer, I'd say you were on your own insurance-wise.

I brought this issue to my sister (a pediatrician) and a friend (a dermatologist) and I was surprised to find they were horrified at the idea of doing gel polish on anyone under 14. They strongly advised against it.

There are so many other options that make more sense for a child - water based polishes, stamping and decals, and especially Vinylux.

My 9 year old always has geleration on her nails, aslong as you get the parent to sign the client record card and that the manicure won't last long if she picks and pokes at it, the rest is up to her

when my daughter was biting her nails (she is 9) i started with weekly manicures (plain manicure, mostly pampering and massaging the hands and just regular polish.

it's amazing just plain manicures can help if they are really motivated.

if not there's little to do to make them change

this article does not stipulate you have to be an adult of 18/21 and over,
also it is from a nail mag, not insurance providers/manufacturers/nor is it written in law, every insurance provider will be different every manufacturer will and also every nail tech, the op needs to contact them both and get the facts it is also down to the parents and then the nail techs weather or not she /he wishes to carry out a service what ever that service maybe,

First, I never said you had to be over 18/21. Re-read what I wrote, I said not a child and suggested 14. And your insurance will cover you as long as you've followed the manufacturers' instructions and/or guidance.

Secondly, read the article. It is not a Nails Magazine article. It is a white paper from the PBA, PCA and NMC, which is the Nail Manufacturers Council. Nails Magazine has it on their website.

Finally, if you want to be a nail professional, you must act like a professional, which includes making professional judgments. Those judgments should be informed by the standards and knowledge of your profession. It will make some people unhappy, but you will have done what is ethical. It is the difference between a nail professional and an NSS, which will do anything to anyone for a price. Although our products are generally safe, there are lots of reasons to be cautious in the use of gel products even in adults. We are careful to limit our own exposure. Those reasons get even greater in children - the fact that their immune systems are not as developed, that these allergies are permanent, that children are at risk of much greater exposure due to ingestion, that we can barely get adults to do proper aftercare let alone children. When I want to know about nails, I go to my nail professional. But when I want to know about the health and safety of children, I rely upon pediatricians, dermatologists and the health professionals who have the education and knowledge to advise me properly.

In our salons, we have a strict policy of not using enhancements of any kind on anyone under 14 and then only with parental consent. Let us remember that pretty, painted nails are not a necessity of life and not worth endangering anyone, especially when there are so many great alternatives.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/189771-gelish-children-advice-please-2.html

NancySyd
i think you have had chats about this before and your views are clear

where do you start then you say 14 another 16 who is more ethical

the argument will go on and on it is down to guide lines /insurance /and parents/and the nail tech that will carry it out

and if products may be endangering the young then why are we using it on anyone .....? weather it be nail polish or gel polish all have could have risk there was a time nail polish contained more harmful substances then any gel polish of today but people went ahead and put it on toddlers
i am not saying to the op to go ahead or not to go ahead that is not my choice, it will be a down to her insurer,manufacturer,parent,and finally her choice

personally i have chose to do very few youngster clients through out my career choosing to do only adults only as a preferred working method for mine and my families businesses am i more ethical not at all ("never work with children or animals"W.C. Fields )

so can we end the debate, it is down to the /insurer /manufacture/and the OP , plus this is boring now
:biggrin:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001211/?ref_=nmbio_bio_nm

You are correct; I have very strong opinions on the safety of children and on business ethics. I make no apology for that. My work with upgrading NSS salons makes me a stickler on those points. If that bores you, you can skip my posts. Given that many people read this forum, I write as much for them as for the immediate respondents.

But you are missing a few important points. The first is that there are plenty of things that are perfectly safe for adults that are unsafe for children. Some of them are due to a child's less developed immune system. Honey is the classic example. But some of it is also due to behavioral issues. Children constantly have their hands in their mouths, so things that go on children's hands get a much higher level of exposure due to ingestion. Again, safe on an adult, not so safe on a child.

I would agree that we can quibble over what constitutes a child - 14, 16, 18? I would also agree that it varies with the individual child.

by LAW you must obtain parental consent for a treatment on an under 16 and an adult must be present under the child protection act. A minor is actually under 18. I personally would not offer a gel or enhancement service to under 14s as their nail plates are not suitable and a question of professionalism and salon image. Let children be children, manicures and nail art are way more fun for the under 14s and princess pamper parties are fab x

"NancySyd I would agree that we can quibble over what constitutes a child - 14, 16, 18? I would also agree that it varies with the individual child."

now there is a good point xx
quibble you may but like ive just said, the law says 18

I think the mothers amongst us may have a very different opinion to the others

quibble you may but like ive just said, the law says 18

I'm in the United States, so our laws are quite different from those in the UK and ours vary even state by state. Obviously, you must follow the laws in your area - I agree, no quibbling at all there.

But absent a law, we still must operate within the instructions of the manufacturers. If a manufacturer says don't use on children but doesn't give a definitive age, then there's room to quibble about what age, but not on the principle. As a parent and a nail professional, my views are quite aligned.

I have 13yr old that has bitten her nails since she was 2 we have tried all the nail a bitten stuff but it works for a while then she gets used to the taste and started biting again to the point they look really sore! I would use it on her as I have seen some really good results with people that have stopped bitten their nails.

Latest posts

Back