Need help with gel over nail varnish!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classyclaws

Reaction score
Hi guys, could you please give me some guidance on how to overlay varnish using gel. I have had a couple of attempts lately and the gel has "shrunk" away from the nail, but I have never experiened this just using the gel alone. Also I know I may sounds bit thick, but do I have to take off the shine before the clear gloss coat, its just I find that this can cause problems because the CND enamels I use take a while to harden and I've had smudged varnish when trying to remove the shine. I am just trying to dabble using colours and gel as I have only really used l & p and would like to start using different effects such as embedding which I think would be best done using a top coat of uv gel. I am currently dabbling with Nobility and have had some success, but also some disasters too!!
HELP!!:cry::o

Just wanted to add also that I am being careful to cap the end, but was wondering if it causes a problem if enamel is not fully dry as last week I had a guinea pig who's one hand was fine, but the other hand started to wrinkle up straight away. Both hands had received the same treatment Creative Enamel with metalic finish, what am I doing wrong??

Its not actually the norm to apply gel over enamel...gel needs either a sticky layer (thats left from cured gel) or a non shiny 180/240 finished surface.

Enamel lasts ages over gel...but gel over enamel can chip off as its doesn't adhere well.

Your better off using a colour gel.

Just wanted to add also that I am being careful to cap the end, but was wondering if it causes a problem if enamel is not fully dry as last week I had a guinea pig who's one hand was fine, but the other hand started to wrinkle up straight away. Both hands had received the same treatment Creative Enamel with metalic finish, what am I doing wrong??

NSI to a top coat for over enamels that acts like a gel. Not used it as I have glaze n go (this won't work over enamel either... it keeps the enamel soft and causes cracking). Think the one for over enamel is called thermoshield.

I agree with Angie.

Polish over gel lasts for ages, as a matter of fact, polish over any type of enhancements seems to last ages. But if you try it the other way round with gel over polish, many problems seem to arise.

There are geeks on here who have tried it and have been successful, but I personally have had no sucess. The polish usually doesnt dry underneath and stay soft. One tiny swipe of the surface and the gel together with the polish comes off!!

I think you have to allow the polish to dry completely before adding the gel to work. But by the time you have waited for the polish to dry completely, you could've done a whole set using colour gel.

Thermoshield is brilliant i use it all the time ! but im sure is only for using over enhanced nails which have been polished

kx

NSI to a top coat for over enamels that acts like a gel. Not used it as I have glaze n go (this won't work over enamel either... it keeps the enamel soft and causes cracking). Think the one for over enamel is called thermoshield.

Hi,
I've found (after many 'botched' attempts) that the enamel has to be almost dry before the gel is applied.
I normally leave for about 20 - 30 mins and either the client has to sit & wait - while I do another client - OR I suggest that they get a pedicure / waxing / lash tint etc etc to kill the time (IYKWIM) :wink2:
I'd rather not stock a wide range of coloured gels as I like the range of enamels that I already have. Only down sides are that it has to be buffed off, and it lasts too damn long between appointments :(
Be sure to cap the free edge and apply a thick coat of gel. I've tried many and always come back to Young Nails, Finish. It doesn't crack or shrink on me !!!!

If you want to use your existing polishes you can add them to clear gel( I usually do a half/half mix).You have to be fairly quick, once you have mixed the gel and polish together apply to either a buffed nail or one which still has the stick layer apply two at a time and flash cure till you have done all ten and fully cured you apply second layer and cure then seal with a finishing gloss. Your colour will be slightly lighter than the polish and if your not quick then the polish will start to set so you need to mix alittle more. If had no prob with service breakdown using this method and it seems to work better with a strong colour but light ones do work. hth

Thanks guys, I have taken on board all the comments, now will try polish over gel next, though I had a bad reaction with Super shiney over gel recently, is that because Super Shiney is different to a polish / enamel??

if ever, yes, your polish must be quite dry... unless the gel is more likely to move... it'll be cured but the polish won't.

Latest posts

Back