Negotiating fees

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SILVERSEQUIN

Reaction score
I was asked a few weeks ago to do 5 hours in a beauty salon to cover for my friend who is holidays. All the other therapists in the salon are off too.
However the salon owner has not contacted me and I have asked my friend to get him to call me so we can discuss terms and payment etc etc.

So i like to earn ideally approx £30 per hour but she advises me I have no chance (she get £7 for managing it!).

Not sure how exactly to approach this. I really want the hours but have to consider my childcare fees etc. I know the salon owner has been extremely inconsiderate to my friend who was recently hospitalised due to a bad back and has since cut her hours (because she said she wasnt well) so I havnt got a very good impression of him so far.

Any advice would be appreciated as ever

Thanks

if she gets £7 an hour, you will not get anywhere near the price you are asking, so that is why you haven't heard from them.
If they are used to paying £7 and under for their staff, why would they think you are a good deal?

If you want to earn £30 an hour then go self employed.

Well said Ann!

Sorry dont want to appear to be something that im not.

I am self employed! I am fully qualified, including treatments that their therapists do without qualification.

Was just trying to gauge how other salon owners negotiate with self employed individuals.

Self employed - normally get a % of treatment and retail profit, they directly have effect on.

Hope this helps x :)

Sorry dont want to appear to be something that im not.

I am self employed! I am fully qualified, including treatments that their therapists do without qualification.

Was just trying to gauge how other salon owners negotiate with self employed individuals.
No, you weren't doing that, I was just trying to ask you to see if from their point of view. I too wouldn't work for anything less but I wouldn't expect a salon that employs people at minimum wage to agree to pay me that. Hence being self employed.

Latest posts

Back