Never doing family members again!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faylizzie

Reaction score
I did a spray tan on my cousin last night ready for her to be a bridesmaid at our other cousins wedding tomorrow, she had eppilated her armpits the night before and it had sort of cut her armpits a bit, they were swollen and puffy and quite dry, I applied a some moisturiser to them before the tan it wouldn't stick where they were so dry, anyway the tan came out really nicely and she was pleased with it until I got a text at 1am this morning to say her armpits had gone really dark and scabby an she looked awful what was I going to do about it, I told her to wait an see what it looked like today after she had had a shower an washed the colour guide off but she said she had already wiped her armpits with a wet flannel. She's just text me now to say her arms have gone really patchy an she has White patches all over them and it looks awful and there's no way she can ever leave the house looking this hideous and she wants me to remove it now. Now my aunty has got involved and thinks I've purposely ruined her tan because I'm annoyed I'm not a bridesmaid and she is.....as if! She didn't pay me last night as she said she didn't have time to go to the cash point so could she drop it to me today which I said was fine she's now refusing to pay me and demanding I go over there now to fix this mess!

I've never had a complaint about my spray tans before an I did my sister last night to and hers came out perfectly to, I really don't know what I can do to sort this? I know when we went to Australia at the beginning of the year her natural tan let white patches on her arms as some areas just wouldn't tan properly, could this be why the spray tan has done something similar!? I'm confused and disheartened :( me and her have never really got on (were the same age and live opposite each other and have major personality clash) and I'm at boiling point now with her as she's put on my Facebook page "worst.tan.ever" I think if I even go an see her I may end up saying something that will be very much frowned upon by the rest of my family :s

Sorry for my rant but really don't want to go to the wedding tomorrow with the Chinese wispers going round that I ruined her tan on purpose cus I'm jealous!

Is there anything I can do to either strip the tan completely or make it more even? I haven't seen it yet so not entirely sure what it looks like but thought id try to get some advise before I hit her, sorry I mean see her ;)

Thanks in advance xxxx

Give your lovely cousin a microfibre cloth and get her to rub it off x

Totally agree microfibre cloth! I would go and help her taking some lemon juice to rub in too

Hth

Thanks geeks! I haven't been spraying for that long so it's totally thrown me! :( sorry if this is a stupid question bit when you say lemon juice do you mean like the jiff stuff you put on pancakes or am I waaayyy off track :s lol xxxx

Yep that's the stuff or a real lemon if that's what you have. Might smart a bit if she has still got cuts but will get the tan off. Or try oil. I got tan on my hands yesterday after cleaning my tent and put them in diluted bleach wouldn't recommend that though!!!

Lol thank you so much :D I will give it ago later! I think I won't mind the fact that the lemon juice might hurt a bit ;) xxx

don't worry about it, working on friends and family is never a good idea. I'll tell you a story and hopefully it will make you feel better....

i had just done my course on acrylic nails and really wasn't confident in them, my friend kept on about doing her a set for a wedding she was going to in a months time, so i said i'd wait and see how i felt about them, when it came round to it i said 'i'll do them as a birthday present because i'm still not 100% on them and wouldnt want to charge you', we never get eachother birthday presents but i thought this was a good way of doing it free and not having her wanting them done free again. anyway, i drove to her house which is a 40minute drive, did her nails whilst her child ran around like a wild thing, grabbing my stuff, wanting to play with it, i gave her her aftercare advice and off i went, i was really pleased with myself, did everything how i should.
the next morning comes and i have 3 text messages on my phone and an answer phone message, the answer phone message is her out of her face drunk shouting down the phone that one of her nails had just 'fallen off' and i needed to go back round and fix it the next morning because the wedding was in the afternoon, the text messages stated the same kind of thing, i phoned her in the morning and she didnt reply, i couldnt go round as i had a full day of clients, she then phones my mum on our house phone and complains to her that her nail had just fallen off and i had to go back round and fix it asap.

In the end i didnt speak to her before the wedding but spoke to her the day after, in which she informed me that she had to go to boots and buy false nails to stick on this one finger which cost her £5 (she was really annoyed that she had to spend £5 and hinted i should refund her this money).

Anyway 3 weeks passed and i get a message on my facebook wall saying 'i had to take my nails off because they were looking scabby and had all lifted, when i normally get my nails done they last alot longer' ...wtf?!!!! i was soooooo annoyed. also i found out her nail which 'fell off' actually broke off when she fell over... grrr. funnily enough we dont talk anymore

my friends always ask for treatments and i will only do it on a few of them that i know will treat me like a beautician and not a slave.

Because they get it cheap/free they dnt respect it!!

I remeber i did a family friends nail a full set of sculpted enhancement took me 2 hours with nail art and charged her £15 yeh prob my own fault but u feel mean charging more!
And the i got a text about 3 days later saying 1 had fallen of!! (FALLEN OFF??? Are youu joking me we all know that a big pile of bullsh*t is going to follow that!!) And could i fix it, she wasnt the demanding about it but i was full so the next day i said i could do it next week and she said oh it doesnt matter as shes only got 2 left cus theyve all fallen off!! (So really shes a ruff arse or just sat and picked!) So i was just like oh ok! Did wana say anything its not my fault!!!

About a week later my sister said oh did she speak to you about her nails i said yeh she broke 1 or somthing, my sister then said oh no said she they all just fell off she wasnt happy! I was just like oh really? So shed gone and told me sister and god knows who a nice little tale as she picked them and broke them!!

As family/friends get it cheap they dont treat it with respect and then bad mouth you!! X

Sent from my HTC Vision using SalonGeek

With the amount of bitching shes done I'd tell her where 2 go!!!
It was the colour guide she saw, nothing wrong, then she took it upon herself to wipe it off, before asking you advice. So she created the patchyness herself. Then, she slags u off, refuses to pay, and writes that on your fb! What a BI*CH!!!
You have the patients of a saint. Just make sure she knows it was her own fault and nopt yours :confused:
I'd go see what it's like, u may be better adding tan to white bits as opposed to trying to remove the rest though. Good luck!

As family/friends get it cheap they dont treat it with respect and then bad mouth you!! X

Sent from my HTC Vision using SalonGeek

very true! i did a spray tan for a friend and i used 8%, all you tanning geeks will know 8% is one of the lightest and shes not even that fair skinned, she made a joke how she was quite dark when i was there, which she wasnt at all but i explained that she needed to leave it on and the excess would wash off the next day, that night i went on facebook and her status is 'i look like an umpa lumpa! my tan is awful!!!!' i was horrified because alot of people knew i was spraying her. she didnt even get it cheap because i learnt my lesson from last time! i dont think 'friends' realise what comments like that can do to your company x

Aww thanks for all your stories an support guys much appreciated an I feel much better :)! I've learnt my lesson before about discount/mates rates so charged her full price as it was but she's still refusing to pay so as childish as I am an I no I'm probably wrong but she left her jewellery at mine after her tan so I've said she can have it back when she pays me!

Anyway... I went round and she had water dribble marks down her arm and finger/hand prints on her upper arms! I told her it looked like a water mark and she said she" hadn't been near water" I was like oright so when you said you used a wet flannel to wipe your armpits that was wet with what!? Grrr she makes me angry! I gave her the lemon juice an microfiber cloth and she said she wasn't happy to remove it that way as she didn't want to smell like lemon! So I left it with her and said there's nothing else I can do, if you'd followed the aftercare advise you wouldn't of had this problem and left it as that! Just a shame as I'm dreading the wedding tomorrow now! God the stress of family ay! But I'm definitely not doing family members again apart from my mum an my sister of course!

It is sad how you try to do friends/family favours an they treat you like that it's such a confidence knock when it comes from close family/friends (not that I'm close with her I can't bloody stand the girl lol) but suppose it show who your true friends are!!

And you have all been dolls with your stories, tips and advise - THANK YOU :D xxx

I'm sorry but family can be really cruel.

My worst client is my Sister. She is always late, usually by 30 minutes and never apologises.

So I do her some Gel Lacquer nails and a few weeks later I get 'those gels wrecked my nails'. Horrified I ask 'why what happened'? She says: 'Well after I picked them off my nails were weak'!!!!! Duhhh yeah I said they need to be professionally removed.

Then after a spray tan while we were having our photo's done for our Mothers 60th Birthday she says to the photographer 'I'm not normally this god awful colour'. She had already told me that it was great, lovely colour and all her friends loved it so much that they have booked in for a tan so why would she say that?

I charge her full price for everything but I am on the verge of sacking her!

Family eh, can't pick them!

My sister is also my worst client.

She is the only one out of everyone I Shellac that "it just peels off!!"

Had to laugh the other evening tho, sitting there with her husband and he commented on how she's always biting her polish off!!

She has lots of treatments, waxing, facials, tinting, mani and ped, eyelashes and never says she loves what I have done to me but raves about me to her friends so I know she loves me really!!

H xx

I think friends/family find it impossible to take a relative or whatever seriously, because they think they know you so well they can do what they like
time to step back a bit i think and let them see a different side to you, they'll soon change the way they behave towards you
we teach people how to treat us without even realising it or thinking about it

Im about ready to stop offering services to friends. Only a small handful come to me regularly and most always complain of shellac peeling itself (yes, itself!!!) and nails lifting/just falling off !

It takes its toll and im fed up of having to have the awkward convo of what havethey done as they mostly deny all wrong doing!

Deff agree with all said on here, and the patches will be off her using the wet flannel.

Ive had the same , now i charge half price still not enough but i was doing it free, and yeah ive gt that friend that nails fall off with in the hour ..........in reality she sits and picks them off

As soon as I had passed my course and was qualified as a nail tech my cousin had added a comment on to a pic on my Facebook of some nail work I had done on my sister asking how much I would charge her? Told her the same as everyone else, as she is the type of person that only bothers with you if she wants something. Her reply was "your going to charge me that, when I'm family" to which I said yes I would charge her the same as everyone else. Lucky enough a friend added a comment "how will she make money if you want it for free" since then she has not been in touch. Thank god :) x

When I was training as a nail tech, I did a full set of L&P Extensions on a "friend" for £10. I remember them being lovely and she was very happy. I gave her aftercare and left, then I find out through another "friend" that they just "peeled off" throughout her night out and she was telling everyone how rubbish I was and not to go to me for nails.

Aside from the fact I was still training and she should have been supportive, I then found out she had taken a 2 hour bath immediately after the application. I was devastated and wondered how many people thought I did awful nails when I had many other friends and family that had been very happy with their nails.

I no longer speak to her, and I don't do many treatments for friends anymore.

Latest posts

Back