Never had a client rebook...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailsByStacy

Reaction score
Hi.
I have been in the industry for only about 7 months and have done numerous types if different clients and situations. I am mobile and offer natural nail manicures and pedicures and have just started warm waxing.
Not one of the people I have provided a service to has ever rebooked (bar my family and friends).
Starting to get really down hearted as it's probably that I'm really just not good at what I do. I am confident that a I do what I think is a excellent job and am quite a quiet person so I don't think it's because I have an bad attitude.
I keep up to date with my clients via monthly emails and texts but nothing ever comes of it. Just feel like packing it all in :(

Hi.
I have been in the industry for only about 7 months and have done numerous types if different clients and situations. I am mobile and offer natural nail manicures and pedicures and have just started warm waxing.
Not one of the people I have provided a service to has ever rebooked (bar my family and friends).
Starting to get really down hearted as it's probably that I'm really just not good at what I do. I am confident that a I do what I think is a excellent job and am quite a quiet person so I don't think it's because I have an bad attitude.
I keep up to date with my clients via monthly emails and texts but nothing ever comes of it. Just feel like packing it all in :(

Hi Stacy, sorry you're feeling so disheartened. I've had a think about your situation and suggest that you send a standard letter to all of your clients along the lines of

Dear Client

Thank you for booking your recent (treatment) with me. As you know, I am a new business and am very keen to have your feedback on my service to you. I would therefore be most grateful if you would take a little time to complete the following satisfaction survey and return it to me in the enclosed stamped addressed envelope.

Your feedback is much valued and greatly appreciated. Many thanks.....

You could devise a little questionnaire about your punctuality, professionalism, service and value for money and anything else you think is relevant. It can be a tick box system where people don't have to bother writing anything.

That way the client can anonymously provide you with some feedback and you may find there is a common issue amongst your clients such as cost and if nothing really comes to light you can feel reassured that it's nothing you're doing and you have gently and politely reminded your clients that you are still there and waiting to hear from them!!

Hope this helps and all the best. :Love:

PB
x

Ask your family and friends for their honest opinion on what you do. Please don't think I'm being mean but you may think you're the bees knees and you may be very good but chances are there is just one or two thing that aren't quite perfect.

When you ask don't say "how was it?" say "what did I do wrong?" as soon as you know you can fix it and as soon as you fix it everyone will rebook!

Hi sweetie,

Firstly, we all have clients who never rebook. It can be tough but some people can be really fickle. I know I do a fab job but I also know that if someone can get what they see as similar results elsewhere for half the price, I don't stand a chance!

Have you thought about posting some pics on the critique section of the nail forum? This way you can get feedback on your technique and perhaps improve on any areas that may need it and if not, you will get a confidence book if you're already producing fab sets!

I think the anon feedback survey is an excellent way to improve on what you do. I always encourage clients to tell me what they want as making them happy keeps them coming back :hug:
xx

Hi NailsByStacy, you've been given some really good advice. The only other thing I can think of is, are you TOO quiet? Sometimes, I think that can be misinterpreted as being unfriendly.

I think you could have a set of standard questions (in your head) for clients, to engage them in conversation.

I wish you all the best! :hug:

Yes was going to say the same thing as above.. Perhaps you are too quiet? It's always good to have a bit of conversation, depending on the treatment type. Engage your client and make them feel like they can confide in you xx

Hi Nails by Stacy. I agree it could be you are too quiet.
You know what, I am a really quiet person, timid really. I have just started and this is probably going to sound crazy, but I shortened my name for my leaflets, and 'become that person-the beauty therapist'. LOL. Crazy I know, but its a persona, an act and it helps me so much. If I acted as 'myself' and I like to be quiet, then I think they would feel they were in a hostile environment. Not sure if my crack pot act helps?:eek:

Thank you for all your replies.
I'm going to create a satisfaction survey on survey monkey and send the link on an email and through text.
I actually haven't got any recent pictures of my work so will have to sort that out. I'm actually doing a mani/pedi on my mum on Monday so will ask her for her honest opinion. I do try and work out my customers personality before engaging them in conversation as obviously I want to be able to 'relate' to them in some way, other times though if they ate quiet themselves I'm not very good at starting a conversation. Can someone give me a few hints at questions I can ask? Many thanks xx

Hi sweetie,
I'm not sure I would trust my mum to give me proper feedback, I'm her baby! lol. I think I'd defo go for the critique section on here and the survey and then your advice is impartial and can be much more constructive as it's from fellow professionals and the clients who are paying you. Sorry I sound like I'm pushing you into it now lol.

I tend to ask them if they are having their nails done for a special occasion and take it from there. I also ask the cringeworthy one of 'so you going anywhere on holiday this year?' lol. It's a corker cos everyone uses it :biggrin:

You could also ask them if they have ever had that particular nail service before and if they go to another salon usually ... things like that?

I totally agree with the prev post (sorry I've been typing this so long I've forgotten the name of the poster!) who said they shortened their name? I did that too. Not sure why but it seems much easier to take criticism if you get it and it's not the real you lol so really not crazy at all :wink2:
xx

Thank you for all your replies.
I'm going to create a satisfaction survey on survey monkey and send the link on an email and through text.
I actually haven't got any recent pictures of my work so will have to sort that out. I'm actually doing a mani/pedi on my mum on Monday so will ask her for her honest opinion. I do try and work out my customers personality before engaging them in conversation as obviously I want to be able to 'relate' to them in some way, other times though if they ate quiet themselves I'm not very good at starting a conversation. Can someone give me a few hints at questions I can ask? Many thanks xx

Try some of these hun;
Are you doing anything nice this weekend?
Is this treatment for a special occasion?
How often do you have 'x' treatment?
What's your occupation?
Got any holidays planned this year?

Try and ask open ended questions, or questions that make them talk so you can ask more questions (does that make sense?)
Next time you go to the hairdressers take note on what he/she asks you.

I hope that's of some help hun, you do always get the odd one that wants to not talk though. Just be friendly and interested in their lives.

Another suggestion, perhaps get some loyalty cards made up as this is always a good incentive to rebook, and when you have finished your treatments get them booked back in. Say something along the lines of 'your next wax will be due on 'x' day shall I book that in for you?'
Rhiannon x

When you have done a treatment on someone have you asked them whalst your with them if they want to book their next appointment?
Sometimes people need prompting! Just a thought xx

When you have done a treatment on someone have you asked them whalst your with them if they want to book their next appointment?
Sometimes people need prompting! Just a thought xx

I did try asking in the beginning but the ones I did were for events rather than a treat or maintenance, or I would get them saying 'I'll give you a ring in the next few days' and nowt!
I must say though that I don't think my prices are the problem (although probably too cheap?). They vary from £7 for a file and polish to £25 for a deluxe.
I have had tips from most people, so didn't think I was that bad, cos I know I wouldn't tip if I wasn't happy!
Lots of food for thought I think! Xxx

I did try asking in the beginning but the ones I did were for events rather than a treat or maintenance, or I would get them saying 'I'll give you a ring in the next few days' and nowt!
I must say though that I don't think my prices are the problem (although probably too cheap?). They vary from £7 for a file and polish to £25 for a deluxe.
I have had tips from most people, so didn't think I was that bad, cos I know I wouldn't tip if I wasn't happy!
Lots of food for thought I think! Xxx

Maybe if they had them done for events they arnt looking for regular treatments? I have a few clients that come once maybe twice a year for their holidays etc
Don't get too disheartened as I used to get fed up thinking why haven't they come back did I do something wrong?
And then ages after out of the blue they call me!
I'm busier than ever now so if you enjoy your job please don't give it up ... it will get better xx

You can always ask if they have kids/grandkids. Ask about travel plans, what interesting places have they been. How they met their partner. Then, note this in a book somewhere so when you see this client again (yes, it will happen), you can follow up with the conversation.

I have to admit, I have tipped for cr*ppy service. It's when I've felt sorry for the tech, usually a student. But the tip is WAY smaller than my usual OVER-tipping tip.

Choose a client that you serviced within the past few weeks. Call (not text) that client and say something like, "Hi, just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed providing your service. I'd like to offer you blank (a free nail artwork, massage, or whatever you feel comfortable with) if you'd like to schedule an appointment.

Also, what services do you offer? Do you do Shellac? My business (and RETURN clients) is booming since I started offering Shellac. Just a thought...

Please don't give up. Keep us posted on how it goes. :)

I think you have been given some fantastic advice already.

Good luck, I'm sure things will pick up for you soon!

It's hard for me to recommend conversation starters because I am a total chatterbox although I do know when I need to keep quiet. Lol!

I suppose my main questions are about there plans for that evening or the weekend and then the conversation flows from there...

Please done give up xx

You can always ask if they have kids/grandkids. Ask about travel plans, what interesting places have they been. How they met their partner. Then, note this in a book somewhere so when you see this client again (yes, it will happen), you can follow up with the conversation.

I have to admit, I have tipped for cr*ppy service. It's when I've felt sorry for the tech, usually a student. But the tip is WAY smaller than my usual OVER-tipping tip.

Choose a client that you serviced within the past few weeks. Call (not text) that client and say something like, "Hi, just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed providing your service. I'd like to offer you blank (a free nail artwork, massage, or whatever you feel comfortable with) if you'd like to schedule an appointment.

Also, what services do you offer? Do you do Shellac? My business (and RETURN clients) is booming since I started offering Shellac. Just a thought...

Please don't give up. Keep us posted on how it goes. :)

Really want to start doing Shellac especially for Rockstar Toes! Would also like to offer Minx. My problem is I haven't got much financial support behind me so having to save up gradually. I have just taken on a lunch time assistant job as it's a regular wage but as it's only 5 hours a week it's not likely to interfere with the beauty side.

I think you have identified a possible reason, the prices.
It's so tempting to do amazing offers when you're starting up just to get bookings. Sometimes, then, you get clients who are not really into treatments, but will try it 'cos it's cheap. They're not the type to establish a regular routine, though.
How about setting your charges for single treatments at a fair but not cheap price but offering discount on ongoing treatments to encourage regular bookings?
Your lunch-time job should be mined for potential work, eg staff, parents, PTA events etc
Good luck!

Hi Stacy, sorry you're feeling so disheartened. I've had a think about your situation and suggest that you send a standard letter to all of your clients along the lines of

Dear Client

Thank you for booking your recent (treatment) with me. As you know, I am a new business and am very keen to have your feedback on my service to you. I would therefore be most grateful if you would take a little time to complete the following satisfaction survey and return it to me in the enclosed stamped addressed envelope.

Your feedback is much valued and greatly appreciated. Many thanks.....

You could devise a little questionnaire about your punctuality, professionalism, service and value for money and anything else you think is relevant. It can be a tick box system where people don't have to bother writing anything.

That way the client can anonymously provide you with some feedback and you may find there is a common issue amongst your clients such as cost and if nothing really comes to light you can feel reassured that it's nothing you're doing and you have gently and politely reminded your clients that you are still there and waiting to hear from them!!

Hope this helps and all the best. :Love:

PB
x

Consider doing this by email. Not sure about survey sites, because some people are wary of them but also a direct response gives you the opportunity to address any concerns that are raised.

Also worth following up on clients after about 6-8 weeks saying you hope all was well after the last treatment and basically prompting them into rebooking. You might even add something along the lines of "Sometimes things aren't exactly as we expect and if this was the case, I'd be very grateful to discuss it with you."

Send out seasonal offers (and there's something almost every month!) and if your consultation form includes their date of birth, send out birthday messages with a token discount (10-35%).

A great alternative to a discount is an added value. The big cosmetic companies are doing this all the time. When was the last time you saw, for example, Clinique selling anything at half price? Exactly! They do, however, give a free gift from time to time if you order two products. So offer a free upgrade (or a taster treatment) INSTEAD. This feels like far more to the client, costs you far less AND has the benefit of cross selling.

I hope this helps. :)

It may be that they only get the treatments done on special occasions so they may still call you. Maybe ask them if they would like to book their next appointment before you leave, or give them a business card before you leave and ask them to call when they want their next treatment. You could also get their mobile and email addresses and send them a text or email a couple of weeks later, offer a special offer or just say they are now due a treatment and to give you a call to book, then send them another message a couple of weeks later again. It may be theyve lost your number and have found someone else randomly.Another idea is special offers on block bookings, so offer a slight discount if they book two sessions and pay on first treatment (I do spray tans for £15 or book two for £25 saving of £5), guaranteed re book then or if they mess you around at least you have the money at the first booking. Hth

Latest posts

Back