Never thought I'd say this

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precious2013

Reaction score
But I don't think I want to be in the beauty industry anymore. :( I love the thought of doing things but when it comes down to it, I dread carrying out the treatment. I've been out of beauty for about a year and a half and I don't know if I've just lost my mojo, but there aren't any beauty jobs about. I wouldn't have a clue what to do if I didn't do beauty though :s it's all a little confusing :( anyone in a similar situation?

But I don't think I want to be in the beauty industry anymore. :( I love the thought of doing things but when it comes down to it, I dread carrying out the treatment. I've been out of beauty for about a year and a half and I don't know if I've just lost my mojo, but there aren't any beauty jobs about. I wouldn't have a clue what to do if I didn't do beauty though :s it's all a little confusing :( anyone in a similar situation?

yeah that happened to me. I am back at college now studying animal management and work as a zoo keeper once ive finished. I like beauty but not as a career. Follow your heart, your qualifications wont disappear so you don't have to do it... :)

there will always be people who choose thier careers from an early age, some fall into careers by accident some just for money some because the alternative work type is worse.
dont feel bad its your choice, its a free country you have your qualifications to fall back on if ever you want to. :)

I havent a clue what I want to do :( theres nothing attracting me at the minute x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've had 3 careers. So far!
I was an RGN for over a decade, then an IT manager for 15 and now a beauty therapist. Oh, and then there's the distribution company too, so make that 4!
Sometimes it's easier to work out what you don't want to do as a starting point.

I'm in the same situation, well I'm recently qualified, I love beauty but there are no jobs and now I'm swaying towards doing veterinary nursing. Maybe just take some time to think about it and what you want to do might jump out at you x

I'm thinking of a career change.

I love the beauty industry but since starting my level 5 management and leadership course at college it has made me want a more corporate career.

But I love running my beauty salon and would be sad to see it go. I could sell the business but I'm not sure I want to let it go ......

I think its natural to move on but everyone is different. Some people are in the same career for their while lives. I think I'll be a hopper :/

Jemima :)

I work in an office full time during the week and do beauty at night although I absolutely love it I'm starting to think maybe I couldn't do it full time as its so demanding with a full time job, so I am applying for more jobs in an office with slightly less hours than the 40 I work so I can do beauty a bit more just not completely full time and see how I feel then! I hope you make the decision that makes you happy as there's nothing worse than feeling unhappy in your work (my day job makes me very unhappy at the moment) x

Sarah xx

i had a salon for 5yrs up until april 2012 when the building went into disrepair an the ceiling collasped in on me literally on my head an i decided alot of the jobs wheren't getting done an he was getting rent easy an i was struggling to keep clients coming in due to the damage of the building so witheld rent an he broke in an changed the locks as he didnt want to pay £££ to get the building up to scratch an i have had a nervous breakdown an a cancer scare and have other health issues. And altho id love a salon again i dont want to rent again an banks are being pain in lending money plus you have to have 30% deposit to get a mortgage for businesses which i think is unfair plus maximum is 10yrs. With health problems i could work for anyone else as my health is so up an down. Ive started making sterling silver jewellery which i can do from home an its very therapeutic to do. so now its like what do i do. And with being out of the industry for over a year feel like ive been out the loop for too long. I hope you make a decision which is right for you.

I'm doubting myself in the beauty industry.

Although I trained 2008, only opened home salon in 2012 Dec.
I'm also in a full time job which I hate waking up to go to.
With market & my area saturated with NSS & beauty salons on every corner, it's very hard to bring in clients.

But at the same time after spending so much money & time in the nail industry I don't want to give it up either. But I want to add more services. Then think invest more but am I going to get people through the door? Everyone does waxing, lashes etc, what unique about me.

Yes I've trained with CND & use all their products but in this financial climate nobody bothered about where you trained or that you use better products. People want cheap, convenient and long lasting, which is what they get from NSS.

Slowly giving up hope now...

I am at a similar stage right now but perhaps for different reasons.

In the last few months I have done a lot of soul searching in the sense that after two unpleasant employed roles in the beauty industry I went for self employment which I went into as a bit of a stop gap. As I say, after a lot of soul searching I have been able to distinguish between what I do and don't like about the industry and I would consider this to be the way forward in making an effective decision. That is to say that I have a genuine interest in the treatments and learning more and I love giving a client an experience that can range from anything to pleasant, mind boosting and even confidence boosting. So I do have a passion for the industry in a sense.

However on the other hand I have a lot of frustrations regarding employment because so far I have found management to be at best immature and at worst just downright bitchy and intimidating and even if I had the personality type to be able to deal with this better, I am finding it hard to supress how insulted I feel that companies expect you to be happy to work every single weekend for minimum wage because there are so many people in so many other professions who wouldn't dream of putting up with that and fairly enough me thinks. In relation to these frustrations, a lot of people say that self employed is the way to go but again, I really don't believe that effort required is proportionate to pay received and consequently my heart just isn't in it.

Based on the above, unless I can secure employment where I am treated well enough to compensate for the rubbish hours and rubbish pay (which to be fair I did have time and patience for before I realised how toxic a working environment can be in this industry), I would be surprised if I was in this industry by my 30s to be honest because I just feel that I want more in return for my efforts.

I love beauty and nails and holistics and coming onto salongeek to talk about it and I love getting my hands on a textbook or a scratch magazine and I love doing treatments for family and friends and I would like to keep all of that up because I don't think it would be fair to myself to reject my interest in beauty entirely but I do think in terms of earning an income, I need that bit more incentive to maintain my loyalty in all honesty.

Luckily, I have always known that I want to teach and I have a range of subjects (beauty or otherwise) that I could pursue so I'm currently remaining in beauty for now with the view to moving onto further study when time/money/course entry requirements allow.

I was going to write all of this as a blog to be fair but seeing as someone else is going through something similar I thought I'd share it here.

Going forward, I would urge anyone in this same boat to think about what they do and don't like about the industry and from there, have a think about the ways in which the perks can be pursued and the bad stuff avoided. It's easier said than done and it can be very stressful, headache inducing and disillusioning but that's what I would advise based on my very situation at the moment.

If it's any consolation I don't think that this is unusual. There are lots of therapists with up to five years experience (give or take) but it's very rare to meet people who have been doing this for longer than a decade and with respect to the industry and the advantages of it, I do think that there is fair enough reason for that.

When you're loving it this can be an awesome and rewarding opportunity of an industry to be in at the best of times and places but I do think such opportunities are few and far between and compared to the hours and pay in this industry, there *is* a lot of tosh out there. I say this based on experience; the number of places that don't follow employment law, min wage, bad hours which change at short notice, having to phone acas, stressing family and friends out and choosing to phone the nice lady on th phone at the Samaritans when at my wits end! (might be a me thing but there you go lol!)

Seriously, when it's good it's really good but when it's bad it's horrid and whatever you do, proper respect. Hope I've not rambled too much!!

After a big ramble about some of my own biases, I also want to add that after taking the time and money to train in beauty and often having to defend your decision against people who can be condescending about the beauty industry, I just want to say that it takes courage to be able to say that actually, after all that, you're thinking of leaving the industry. When somebody told me to look at it this way, I started to feel less bad about it and more empowered.

The best way to see if something is for you or not is to do it and then do it again and then have the facts behind you to make an informed decision. On this basis, I would urge anyone looking for employment in this industry to apply to some spas (they often recruit to high staff turnover).

I am at a similar stage right now but perhaps for different reasons.

In the last few months I have done a lot of soul searching in the sense that after two unpleasant employed roles in the beauty industry I went for self employment which I went into as a bit of a stop gap. As I say, after a lot of soul searching I have been able to distinguish between what I do and don't like about the industry and I would consider this to be the way forward in making an effective decision. That is to say that I have a genuine interest in the treatments and learning more and I love giving a client an experience that can range from anything to pleasant, mind boosting and even confidence boosting. So I do have a passion for the industry in a sense.

However on the other hand I have a lot of frustrations regarding employment because so far I have found management to be at best immature and at worst just downright bitchy and intimidating and even if I had the personality type to be able to deal with this better, I am finding it hard to supress how insulted I feel that companies expect you to be happy to work every single weekend for minimum wage because there are so many people in so many other professions who wouldn't dream of putting up with that and fairly enough me thinks. In relation to these frustrations, a lot of people say that self employed is the way to go but again, I really don't believe that effort required is proportionate to pay received and consequently my heart just isn't in it.

Based on the above, unless I can secure employment where I am treated well enough to compensate for the rubbish hours and rubbish pay (which to be fair I did have time and patience for before I realised how toxic a working environment can be in this industry), I would be surprised if I was in this industry by my 30s to be honest because I just feel that I want more in return for my efforts.

I love beauty and nails and holistics and coming onto salongeek to talk about it and I love getting my hands on a textbook or a scratch magazine and I love doing treatments for family and friends and I would like to keep all of that up because I don't think it would be fair to myself to reject my interest in beauty entirely but I do think in terms of earning an income, I need that bit more incentive to maintain my loyalty in all honesty.

Luckily, I have always known that I want to teach and I have a range of subjects (beauty or otherwise) that I could pursue so I'm currently remaining in beauty for now with the view to moving onto further study when time/money/course entry requirements allow.

I was going to write all of this as a blog to be fair but seeing as someone else is going through something similar I thought I'd share it here.

Going forward, I would urge anyone in this same boat to think about what they do and don't like about the industry and from there, have a think about the ways in which the perks can be pursued and the bad stuff avoided. It's easier said than done and it can be very stressful, headache inducing and disillusioning but that's what I would advise based on my very situation at the moment.

If it's any consolation I don't think that this is unusual. There are lots of therapists with up to five years experience (give or take) but it's very rare to meet people who have been doing this for longer than a decade and with respect to the industry and the advantages of it, I do think that there is fair enough reason for that.

When you're loving it this can be an awesome and rewarding opportunity of an industry to be in at the best of times and places but I do think such opportunities are few and far between and compared to the hours and pay in this industry, there *is* a lot of tosh out there. I say this based on experience; the number of places that don't follow employment law, min wage, bad hours which change at short notice, having to phone acas, stressing family and friends out and choosing to phone the nice lady on th phone at the Samaritans when at my wits end! (might be a me thing but there you go lol!)

Seriously, when it's good it's really good but when it's bad it's horrid and whatever you do, proper respect. Hope I've not rambled too much!!

I agree if it's good it's great, when it's bad it's horrible!

I get lots of people saying you will never make a decent living out of beauty, I'm beginning to believe that now.
The amount of work you have to put in compared to what you earn is not worth it. It takes ages to build up from scratch,
and it doesn't pay.

I'm at that stage where I wana quit my full time job, but that's my steady income which I get regardless.
With my home nail salon, I do evenings & weekends, eventually wanting to leave my full time job, but I'm not sure if I can earn even close to what I earn in my full time job. That's when I think I finish at 5pm, work is 5 mins from home. I switch off after 5pm. With the nail salon id be putting in every hour if and when I get clients, always on the go promoting, training etc, not earning as much as I'd like to.

With my area saturated with NSS and loads of Beauty salons doing same thing I don't see my business working out. As much as it's my passion and I love it, realistically I don't feel I can pursue it. I wanted to add services, like waxing, lashes, HD brows etc, but I feel like I'll be spending so much money on this, how do I know I'll even get clients in when everyone around me is doing the same thing. I'm at that stage where I either change my career to something else which has potential to earn more money. Where as with the nails I'm assuming after more training I'll get more clients. By then it might be difficult for a career change as I'm 42 right now.
My business will take a few years if it ever builds up.

It's definitely hard out there right now. I finish my Level 2 Nail Services in March and I'm feeling scared already. Not many salons want to give you a job straight out of college. Even when you ask if you can work for free they still say no. I have all the equipment and products but building a client base from scratch in this economy is more difficult than I initially thought. Renting a room is not an option because the rents are extortionate in London. Freelance is the only option for me alongside a part time job. Sometimes I feel like this is an expensive hobby for me.

There are somethings you have to remember - it sounds to me like you are getting some burn out... and at times a change of job doesn't fix that.

I can't quit my "other" job, because, well seriously, i could not EVER make in beauty what I make as a clinical regulatory and compliance pharmacist.. it's just insane what I get paid (Ok at times I can't believe that someone actually pays me all this money but when I look at what others make and what I do, I earn it. I work hard). The fact is, sometimes beauty is fun. sometimes pharmacy is fascinating. Sometimes they both suck the dear life out of me. it's ups it's downs... some has to do with customers (in pharmacy the practitioners and nurses and patients are all my customers). sometimes they are rude and nasty no matter where you are and what you do.

I found after a nice week off where I DID NOTHING WORK related. NOTHING. For the first time in EIGHT YEARS, I didn't even ANSWER work email.

It was... amazing... it was refreshing, and I felt a twinge of guilt, and I would do it all over again.

I realized that's the issue.

Is it that you've been at this a year and a half and not taken a break? not had fun? What about taking a fun class at a craft shop - heck even the 'one stroke' painting at an art store and then later you can use for the nails, but seriously you can make some lovely art too!

Take time to stop, to breathe, to figure it out.

you may find it is just that your mojo is lost because you haven't done anything for you. I didn't even realize it until I did this. I took the week off for my middle daughter's bat mitzvah (that's her in my Avatar).. and i was so thrilled to have the time off, be with her, and watch her do an amazing job... and less stress than a wedding (plus the fact she's 13!)

SO, I may not have a fix. I may not be able to help. I'm just trying to tell you what did it for me.

I have another friend who was in nails and she left and went to be an admin assistant. She said she hated it and was burnt out after 3y as a nail tech, but now... now she can do it for fun because it isn't her job.

Once I finished college I found it extremely difficult to find a job in a salon.
So I ended up with a different job but in the meantime wrote to all the salons in my area explaining my situation, my qualifications and why I wanted a job within a salon environment.

I offered to work voluntary to build my experience up and also asked if they had any tips and advice for me, which I got good feed-back from..

It took a long time but 5 months later and I now work full time in a salon..

and I'm looking forward to what the future has in store!!

All the best, I hope it works out for you!

To the original poster if you have been out of beauty for a while could you look for a different role to ease yourself back in such as front of house or sales etc? Sometimes there are very rewarding and different roles available in salons that aren't hands on but where beauty experience is valuable.

Also I think everyone looks for change from time to time and firstly sometimes the grass isn't greener and secondly it doesn't need to be a whole change of career just something like learning a new treatment or changing brands can act as a motivator.

I have been doing beauty for 14 years. Just about to open our 5th salon yet I still carry out treatments every week at least a few days a week. I would HATE not to be doing it and can't think of anything else I would do. I love salons and I love improving salons, I love taking on a new therapist and watching them progress, I love improving the client experience. However I do need change, I need to see progression and development otherwise it becomes boring.

I don't think beauty is ever a career someone should get into for the money. It is something that is very rewarding in other ways. Yes if you work hard you will make a decent enough living but it's hard work for what you get out of it. I let a job in finance to take a massive paycut and open a salon. I knew from day 1, I would not for a very long time make as much money but I also enjoy every day in the salon and that's worth more to me, at least for now.

I think to last in beauty you need a massive amount of passion for the industry. It is one of the most dynamic and progressive industries in this country. It has held firmer than most other sectors during a recession. If you view beauty as a vocation you will be a success as your passion will shine through.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back