New Barry M polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair point mizzy xxxx I bow down lol :)

This is just my opinion. I agree Barry M is low end and i agree using low end products is not the best idea for maintaining professionislm in your business, personally i would never advocate the use of high street products for a full manicure/polishing service, after all that is what pridominatly our services are based on - using professional products that are not merchandised towards the general public.

however,

that said BM do a good range of solid matt and cream and neon colours which is ideal for my needs and low demand for nail art etc - i also have a few knocking about for fashion shades that may go out of "vogue quickly" or be useful for "princess parties etc" I am starting to get a few African women that love the funkier colours for tips and nail art - if its financially viable then yes i will upgrade to a Pro product of a similar colour. I have to ultimately go with what my market demands.

so, in my case i have to think to myself is it worth spending X ammount on a top range product for something im going to get possibly minimum use from? but, like i said with the ammount of nail art etc i do - i find these colours affordable and they serve perfectly well in the meantime for that purpose.

I think its worth mentioning that when your first start out in business, not everyone has the means to afford the whole range of popular OPI or CND colours and these are great for playing about with.

Lets not forget that we are all in business one way or another and whichever way you look at it we are all trying to get the best margin possible.

If a customer said she liked a particular shade that she had seen in my bag, and it happened to be a Barry M brand - i am certainly not going to refuse her.

I also remember reading a thread on here about OPI and it being available on shopping channels and therefore was it compromising it as a professional Product as being more and more easily available to the public and not just the trade, just food for thought.

V x

Last edited:
I agree that from a retail point, pro brand loyalty etc is good practice BUT I don't beleive that is always possible.

Katie - I understand your points about being a non-pro brand etc but what would you do if one of your clients said " oh, my friend is wearing this amazing colour, do you have it?" an d it hapens to be a BarryM colour or similar? Aside from explaining that you only use a professional range etc, if your client is insistent on having a particular colour that your brand may not carry, how can you combat that?

I am not being padnatic in my asking hun please don't think I am, just I know that you are very professional in your approach to your clients and it is so helpful for a newbie like myself to learn about how to deal with client situations :D

I agree that from a retail point, pro brand loyalty etc is good practice BUT I don't beleive that is always possible.

Katie - I understand your points about being a non-pro brand etc but what would you do if one of your clients said " oh, my friend is wearing this amazing colour, do you have it?" an d it hapens to be a BarryM colour or similar? Aside from explaining that you only use a professional range etc, if your client is insistent on having a particular colour that your brand may not carry, how can you combat that?

I am not being padnatic in my asking hun please don't think I am, just I know that you are very professional in your approach to your clients and it is so helpful for a newbie like myself to learn about how to deal with client situations :D

I would custom blend / layer or find source one from somewhere that is. It's not that just because it's sold on the highstreet I wouldn't use it Iys just I find them 1 over priced and 2 usually the brushes are awful to work with and 3 the consistancy can sometimes be awful.

I very rarely now get asked for enamel since shellac and I also very rarely do glitters nail art etc as majority of my clients are very uniform with there nails they either have natural or p&w or shellac and usually French shellac or the reds which sometimes it would be nice change to go a little mad with colour lol abd enable me to be a little more creative.

HTh :) xxx

ive been giving it a trial and love the look. i hope they bring it out in extra colours, a white a silver and a gold would be fabulous.

i tried to see if it works over gelish and shellac too. it didnt at first and then i tried by putting firs a clear coat of polish over my finished gelish and applying the effect. works great.

looks like a minx all over pattern when you have topcoated but a much faster way to get the look.

ive been giving it a trial and love the look. i hope they bring it out in extra colours, a white a silver and a gold would be fabulous.

i tried to see if it works over gelish and shellac too. it didnt at first and then i tried by putting firs a clear coat of polish over my finished gelish and applying the effect. works great.

looks like a minx all over pattern when you have topcoated but a much faster way to get the look.

You can't get much faster than Minx can you .. and zero dry time with no polish or Shellac first? Please!! :green:

You can't get much faster than Minx can you .. and zero dry time with no polish or Shellac first? Please!! :green:

but you dont have to trim it to get it to fit perfectly and over shellac it lasts way longer than minx on fingernails.
but sadly it only does one pattern lol.

Last edited:
That is why i love my nail trainer - I can go glitter, sparkly, embedded crazy to my little heart's content :) I ocouldn't manage without being able to throw some individual creativity into a set of nails but also realise how critical it is to get the bood knowedge and skill on the pink/whites and natural, French etc - after all they are the backbone of the majority of techs business :D

I would custom blend / layer or find source
one from somewhere that is. It's not that just because it's sold on the highstreet I wouldn't use it Iys just I find them 1 over priced and 2 usually the brushes are awful to work with and 3 the consistancy can sometimes be awful.

I very rarely now get asked for enamel since shellac and I also very rarely do glitters nail art etc as majority of my clients are very uniform with there nails they either have natural or p&w or shellac and usually French shellac or the reds which sometimes it would be nice change to go a little mad with colour lol abd enable me to be a little more creative.

HTh :) xxx

I LOVE THIS PAINT EFFECT!

Until the "pro" companies "latch on" im using Barry M! My customers LOVE IT!!

Barry M is one of the best cheap high street brands ive used and only recently tried. They dry fast and the application is easy. I have 2 colours and the effects, that my china glaze doesnt do so im happy to have them in my drawer :)

The only problem i see with this is that they could go and buy it themelves and not need me to do it, but let face it, they cant paint as good as us can they ;)

Hmmmm,

I dunno bout this 1,
I tried barry m in the summer(only for myself) i liked the shades they had,i found they take years to dry, chip very easily, takes lots of coats to cover nicely,I would never use them for my clients, i would be very embarassed if my clients asked what it was and i had to say said barry m!!

yes, maybe they cant paint aswell as i, but im sure some of them can?
and i just wouldnt want to be seen to be using a product from superdrug, might aswell bin all my brisa, and pruchase a rio gel set from argos?

Saying that,i might just pop into superdrug today,and purchase this new colour effect thing, just to have a nosey! : )

Kate x

p.s, for what its worth, i dont do princess parties, but if i did, i think i would definately use the cheaper retail brands : )

Ive got this on my nails now, on top of silver china glaze, it looks amazing and has lasted super long, 2 weeks and because of the shatter effect, any slight rubbing off at the tips is less noticable, try it on acrylics and youll fall in love.

Well done OPI for catching on ;)

Hurry up China Glaze!

Well Miss Sylk, it's been a while, but it looks like China Glaze is bringing their version out in a week or two. I'm loving the minty colour! :)

YouTube - Introducing Crackle Glaze

Latest posts

Back