New career...or is it to late?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glome

Reaction score
Hi All,
I currently work as a financial advisor, I'm 29 and have always regretted not going to college and doing a beauty course when I left school. Instead I went down the corporate route. Last year I completed an eyelash extension course and have done well with this, it has now given me the urg to get in to the beauty business. After looking at all the different nail and beauty courses its going to cost a lot of money which i just dont have, however if this is the only way im just going to have to save.
I suppose what I'm asking is does anyone know where I can start, I have a great attention to detail and all my friends say I would be great (I'm always doing their nails/make-up and now eyelashes)
I really want to get in to beauty and get out of financial services, but just need some help where to start.
Your help and advice is welcome.
Thanks
Lisa

It's never too late to start again. I would first choose the area you want to start with first like nails. Then have a look at what all the different companies like CND and nsi have to offer. My one bit of advice is good education costs money, don't go down the route of the cheap courses as you will probably find you want to retrain and will end up costing you twice as much x

I have only been doing Beauty for a couple of years and Im 37 so its never too late to change!!

Glome , you can do what ever you want to within reason of course !:cool:

I am 45 ish (shhhhchhh)...

...And after 25 years as a scientist I have become a qualified nail tech , and although still getting established I love it . I am planning on getting further training too, so don't let age or anything else stop you .
Good luck I am sure you will be great !!

Last edited:
I am 33 and trained last year, the age thing did kind of worry me, I'm not old but starting a whole new career is a bit scary!
There can be negatives, I went for an interview in a salon, done the trade test- leg wax and file and polish. Everything went well, great feedback and got job offer. I was delighted of course, when it came down to sorting hours etc, bearing in mind that I didnt care what hours I got as I just wanted a job, the manager called me back the next day and said that she had spoken to the owner and they feel that they would be better off with someone around 18 or 19, just out of college and maybe living at home??? Those were the exact words used and my jaw hit the floor...
Theres a lot of people out there who take advantage of newly trained therapists, and also of the current economic situation.
All in all I would say most definitely go for it, its a hard slog to get where you want to be but it all falls into place.
Life experience counts for a huge amount when you are in a public facing role.

I have been told that a lot of my repeat business (we know a lot of folk come along first time to see if they like you) is because I'm not young, thin and orange with spidery eyelashes and far too much make up.

You are never too old and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Carpe diem

I have been told that a lot of my repeat business (we know a lot of folk come along first time to see if they like you) is because I'm not young, thin and orange with spidery eyelashes and far too much make up.

You are never too old and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Carpe diem[/QUOTE

LOL hear hear !!

Glome , you can do what ever you want to within reason of course !:cool:

I am 45 ish (shhhhchhh)...

...And after 25 years as a scientist I have become a qualified nail tech , and although still getting established I love it . I am planning on getting further training too, so don't let age or anything else stop you .
Good luck I am sure you will be great !!

I always thought u seemed much younger from your posts :). That's a surprise to me :) x

I always thought u seemed much younger from your posts :). That's a surprise to me :) x

Oh really, must be my poor grammer? :lol:

You are never too old to re-train. I spent the years before I had my children working in Law. Then for a mid-life crisis I re-trained at the age of 46/47 and did ITEC quals in Beauty and Holistic Massage. Am now 52 and running a business from home as a Beauty and Massage Therapist. Absolutely love it..........will never return to an office again. Go for it......you only live once......

Oh really, must be my poor grammer? :lol:

Haha no its not actually. I don't know, I just always thought you were young :).

Hi, 29! You're definitely not too old. I changed my career at 47. Had a well paid job as a HR manager, decided after 25 years I'd had enough so took the plunge, resigned, went back to school for a year and passed my CIDESCO exams in July. I was the oldest student in the school (I was even older than the tutors!) but all the girls were lovely and accepted me despite me being older than most of their mothers. I've now just started up my own business and whilst its really hard work getting going I have no regrets. Go for it - life's too short to be spend it doing something you don't want to. Good Luck!

My darling you have already started with your eyelashes! You are on your way and have obviously been bitten by the bug!

You can either take the college course route or you can do individual courses for the treatments that you want to offer. Lots of us have taken the individual courses and made a great success out of our businesses. The joy of this way is that you can take your time and combine your existing career whilst you train for your new life. You also get to pick and choose between the greatest courses and companies for each individual treatment.

We are all here to help you along with advice and encouragement so there is no problem there.

As for being too old? Are you mad? I was 37 when I started in this industry and have only ever seen it as a positive.

Good luck and keep us up to date with what you are doing! :wink2:

Of course you are not too old! My friend and business partner is 33, and has now got a very good client base. Not everyone wants young girls...a lot of clients will be your age, and feel more comfortable having a therapist who is the same age, or older, with similar life experiences.

I personally would prefer to go to an older therapist (such as in their 40's +) because this speaks to me of experience and maturity. More common sense etc. (I say 'old' as in compared to someone of 18 or 21 fresh out of college etc) I'm 27...and I think older therapists are better. The fact that at 29 you are worried that you are too old...you are still YOUNG!! :) xx

Haha no its not actually. I don't know, I just always thought you were young :).

Thank you Lolly , I am glad I come across younger than I am... You are a friend for life . x:lol:

Thank you Lolly , I am glad I come across younger than I am... You are a friend for life . x:lol:

I think it's because you sound really innocent in your posts lol.

And thanks :D c

Latest posts

Back