New Career

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marykate4400

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to Salon Geek as you can tell - but just wanted to say HELLO.:lick:

I am applying to do the level 2 NVQ Nail Technician course and hope to start this September - any opinions on the NVQ route to getting qualified? I don't have any money to pay for those expensive online/home tutored course :sad:

I am a nurse and have become disillusioned with working in healthcare so please wish me luck with my new career path... I hope to go on and work as a nail technician soon....been doing nails for friends and family for ages....so I am very interested in how this course turns out.

Hi

Like you I used to be a registered nurse. I had to leave due to a spinal injury but have always loved beauty so hence my career move.

I did my NVQ course at college many moons ago so did a refresher course before going into my beauty career.

The training never stops though, very much like nursing things are always changing and new products are available.

Good luck with your career change x We love helping newbies so if there is anything you need just ask x

Hi, welcome to salongeek I am sure you will find it very useful and full of very experienced geeks who are willing to help!

Nvq is a good route to start your career in Nails. You can always add extra courses once you have learnt the basics.

The only thing I can say is don't get disheartened with timings or progression once you start your training, everyone learns at different rates, it's better to be a slow starter and work at your own pace, building the best skills you can.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Emily :)

Welcome MaryKate, and I wish you lots of luck too.

I also have just trained to do nails after 26 years as a Biomedical Scientist .
I loved my job but felt unable to accept the changes that have occurred since the start of the recession, with so many of us having been made redundant, and then jobs are re -posted under different terms and conditions for a lot less money , and no flexibility at all for those of us with children.

I did a quick 2 day Babtac accredited course and a 1-2-1 training course in Shellac to get me started. and hope to do an NVQ level 2 soon as well part time .

So far I'm loving it , but haven't felt able to charge yet !!

Oh thanks so much for all the replies, its very welcoming of you all. :hug:

I am leaving nursing because I am disheartened by it, and loved doing UV gel nails and nail art for family and friends so much that I thought a career change was in order - like my mom says, you only have one life so make the best of it!

Thank you all for not being negative about the NVQ course - its somewhere to start I guess, I've read so many people saying that its a useless course....I do plan to do more courses in future anyways....

I am going for my interview on Wednesday 31st, any tips on what to wear, and what to say etc??

I will keep you posted on whether I get in - again, thanks for being so welcoming!:green:

Oh - what ages did you all start out in your careers? Do you think it ok for me being 30 to start out? Do you think it a bit odd or unusual??

I am worried that when I start my NVQ it will be full of 17 yr olds who will look down on me for being a mature student :|

Welcome!

You are never too old to start anything love. I was 17 when I started, but lots of my friends in school were 40!! I'm still friends with them too.

I promise there will be girls who will look down their noses at you. Those are the ones who will either drop out or give up a year into their career. Don't even let them affect you. Keep your head high and be the best you can.

Welcome!

You are never too old to start anything love. I was 17 when I started, but lots of my friends in school were 40!! I'm still friends with them too.

I promise there will be girls who will look down their noses at you. Those are the ones who will either drop out or give up a year into their career. Don't even let them affect you. Keep your head high and be the best you can.

Awww, thanks so very much for your kind words of encouragement!! I shall take them to heart and hold my head up high! Cheers! :green:

Hey hun,
I'm in my mid 40's !!!! .so you are a spring chick compared to me . xx

Hey hun,
I'm in my mid 40's !!!! .so you are a spring chick compared to me . xx

LOL - u only have one life chick, make the most of it, and ur only as old as u feel!!!! I used to be a neuroscientist - what lab tech area were u in?

Sorry MaryKate,

I have only just seen your question.

I have been a Biomedical Scientist in Haematology/Coagulation and Blood Transfusion field mainly but also Biochemistry as well.

How is the course going so far ?
xxx

Last edited:
Oh - what ages did you all start out in your careers? Do you think it ok for me being 30 to start out? Do you think it a bit odd or unusual??

I am worried that when I start my NVQ it will be full of 17 yr olds who will look down on me for being a mature student :|

Hi.. And good luck too!
I'm fairly new to all this too, I started back at college last Year when I was 29 so no it's never too late.. I got married had my children and worked in a pub before deciding to change my life for the better.. And loving it so far :)
Am off to olympia beauty tomorrow and can't wait lol!

Hi.. And good luck too!
I'm fairly new to all this too, I started back at college last Year when I was 29 so no it's never too late.. I got married had my children and worked in a pub before deciding to change my life for the better.. And loving it so far :)
Am off to olympia beauty tomorrow and can't wait lol!

Oooohh....wish I had enough £££££ to go to Olympia - maybe next time! Have fun! And tell me ALL about it please! x

Latest posts

Back