New financial year approaching - Time to kick ourselves up the bum a bit

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skymark

Lisamarie
Reaction score
I'm sure that I am not the only one. This financial year I have made oopsies and doing my books only goes to put in sparkly lights, all the things I have not been good at, too lazy to do or find out about.

This is a bit of a fiscal cleaning time for me and I therefore am going to pledge to do certain things differently next year as I can see from this years books that it WILL make a difference.

My new fiscal year resolutions:

- I will finally start keeping a real track of my total car mileage so that I can include a % of my car upkeep and maintenance next year. I have never done this before, only for petrol, but really it is lazy as it could save me quite a bit in the future.

- I will get this years tax return done in the month of April, giving me a fresh start and not have to spend night after night searching receipts next January.

- I will keep track of ALL business mileage, no more ''gifts'' to the taxman in the form of business journeys I don't bother to write down.

- I will buy AA cover with my next insurance policy to make business driving a little less perilous :green:

- Equipment will be replaced. Yes a lot of things are still in decent condition but when you work with things everyday you dont notice things not looking sparkly anymore but clients probably do, especially the materialistic clients.

- I will do at least 2 courses this financial year leaning into holistics as this is a nice bridge between my two businesses.

- I will stop buying things like kitchen roll and zip loc bags with the grocery shop and forgetting to include them as business expense. I pick up a lot of things at Tesco that never get included because I forget.

- If I am in the black each month I will buy myself a little something from my amazon wishlist, however small.

- I will retail more

argh, books... I leave all of mine to bank holidays (my boyf is a bar manager so I've lots more free time in the flat to get on with it without him distracting me)

For the new tax year I'm defo going to keep my car milage book in my car and write down trips as I do them. I'm also going to get the glass of the car (back window) sign written with the salons number and info so Ive got 24/7 advertising and won't need to feel I have to do expensive random advertising in different places...that I know wont work but I keep paying out for it anyways!

Good thread!

I let things slide like washing towels, I always mean to buy washing powder with my business account and add electricity for the washer and tumble drier but don't. I sometimes think it would be worthy paying £10 a week for a launderette to pick it up and do it for me at least then I'd have a billable receipt.

I always set myself a goal of getting my books to the accountant by end of June.

every month I put my receipts in an envelope for that month and transfer the information to a book. My friend told me to do this as her accountant had a nervous breakdown whilst he had her books and all her receipts. Inland revenue told her it was HER responsibility to put in the tax return and should keep a written copy of her receipts so at least she had a second record.

I do about 4 courses a year, buy books/dvds etc from amazon to further my working knowledge so therefore put all of this through my books.

I only have a car for work so most of the upkeep I put through also.

I work from a home salon and my resolution for the coming year is to lock up my cash box to stop family members from dipping in :irked: I know it all comes out equal in the end as my turnover records are kept immaculately so on paper I can see how much profit is made but it would be nice for a change to see ALL the money banked first before wages are drawn :lol:

Latest posts

Back