Newbie - doing my own nails is taking me for ever!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redser

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have recently qualified my training and have just finished my 1st set of infills on myself - it took about 4 hrs.:irked:. They look great but i'm wrecked, going to make sure they last 4 weeks!

I know i'm fussy but is this common for it to take so long when doing your own or is it just me?

Its taking me approx 1.50 - 2hrs to do a set of gels. I'm normally so good with doing my own nails, enamel but got a bit frustrated this eve when it took so long. If it takes so long the next time might be more cost and time effective to get someone else to do them for me.

Anyone else have this problem?:rolleyes:

Lol me !!! Don't worry it will come with time...................................so I'm told !!!!

The end result looks good, but unfortunately the house looks bad today!

Tks for the support.:Grope:

Just thought it was important for my nails to look the part. I'm sure it will get faster.

Two Little words of wisdom ............. Use PopIts!!

30 minutes you're done and all perfect and no filing .. and they certainly look the part.

I do my own, and I experiment with different things on each nail, at the mo I have one nail with dried flowers and a white tip, one with dried flowers on sculpted clear, 3 with glitter fades and the rest with glitter french, all different colours! I think I'm better to experiment on myself rather than someone else, also I can show people what they can have!

If you're like me, you'll find that your "wrong" hand ends up looking better, 'cos you concentrate more! I can't say how long it takes me, 'cos every time I do something different, but it's definitely much longer than doing a client's nails!! Just keep practising hun, it does get easier!

Haven't heard of popits, going to do some research, fitted in 30mins.mmmmmm

don't know if I cld pull off the diff nails designs on each, its sounds like a great pr exercise - i'm sure your clients luv it.

tks

Four hours?????? .....yep sounds about right haha, I have an excellent tip when doing your own nails....open a bottle of wine ;)

Seriously though, your times will def come down I was the very same, unfortunately though it still takes me about 2 and half hours to do my own...Am I hearing gasps? :lol: The beauty about doing your own is you can take as long as you like and as often too!

I'd def try get the application you were tained in times down first before trying any other faster methods....good luck hun...x

Haven't heard of popits, going to do some research, fitted in 30mins.mmmmmm

don't know if I cld pull off the diff nails designs on each, its sounds like a great pr exercise - i'm sure your clients luv it.

tks

Do a search on PopIts here on the site. There is more written about them than almost any other service (Minx may be catching up though).

At least i feel a little more normal, not just thick!

Will look into the popits, tks for the tip.

Um mmmm the bottle of wine is more of a temptation, but might never get the set finished!!!

tks for support:green:

I think when you start out it is a novelty to do your own, you enjoy doing them too no doubt, experimenting and learning. I still enjoy making mine perfect - they are your advert as well.

Hth Julie

I take hours and quite often get bored and end up with one hand for a day until i can muster up the energy for round two :lol:

After 15 years it takes me about 2.5 hours to put a set on myself and approx 1 hr to fill - depending on what is on my nails. I get bored after 3-4 weeks, so am constantly taking off and putting on a new set. My non-dominant hand often looks better than my dominant as I take a lot more time with that one. I love it! I am the only one who has touched my nails in 15 years. I am looking forward to advanced training next month so I can let someone else do mine for a change!

Popits are brilliant and I have used them on myself a time or two when in a great hurry. I don't usually use them on myself though because I prefer a lower arch and a pinch - but my clients love them! Talk about quick $$$ and they are shiny, strong and stunning.

Latest posts

Back