Newbie needing advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pink-kissess

Reaction score
Hi, im new here but could do with a bit of advise.

I had my hair roots recoloured blonde on saturday, but the hairdresser also dyed the underneath black at the back. All was fine until i went home and a few hours later when the black part started to itch... after another hour or so when i looked int he mirror the back of my neck, behind my ears was red, inflammed, itchy, and very hot and sore, then the back of my head just above my neck started to swell and become painful, its still like that today, ive been to the drs and he said its an allergic reaction to the black dye, the glands at the back of my neck are swollen and its very uncomfortable to move my head. he has given me cream for it..

At no point did the hairdresser do a skin test for the black, she has done the blonde several time with no problems. when i contacted her this morning she said 'oh well it happens sometimes'

What can i do? I dont think i'll be going back!

why dont u speak to the manager?

unfortunately there is little to be done once uv suffered a reaction, and u can become allergic after many a colour, the darker the colour the more paradyes are in it and thats what causes the reaction.

but her attitude is unacceptable, u may not get any where but its ur best shot.

now uv got treatment things should start to improve but if it gets worse and ur breathing is comprimised go straight to a & e.

my advice would be to have off the scalp colours now, like foils, then u wont ever risk a reaction, hth!

its standard practice to do a skin test before every colour that is directly touching the scalp, this is NOT acceptable, she and the salon could get into serious trouble for not doing one on you, you should defiantly speak to the manager

hey! sorry to hear about your reaction....im a training hairdresser and even i know when clients want a certain colour eg,quasi,permanent you ALWAYS must do a skin test if the client hasnt had one in the last 2-3 months but if using new products that you havent before they should of done a skin test again.....all training professions and all salons MUST carry out a skin test to prevent anything happening such as which you have expierenced

the reason you had the reaction to the black is that it contains the most paradyes ,which is why we always test with black. I can understand why the hairdresser made the mistake ,because you have had dye in contact with no probs b4 ,but that doesnt exclude it . id ask to speak to the manager and get your money back and see if they can implement some scheme - like putting a small polite notice on the desk -that no full head colours will be done without a skin test- to protect others safety .

its standard practice to do a skin test before every colour that is directly touching the scalp, this is NOT acceptable, she and the salon could get into serious trouble for not doing one on you, you should defiantly speak to the manager

I agree, the salon could get into alot of trouble, their insurance will have pointers about what they are covered for and if i presume they dont carry out a skin test, then surely this will affect their insurance, i dont understand why salons dont as standard practise do skin tests, and with black.....black is what you use for a skin test as like another geek says it contains the most paradyes.
speak to the manager, armed with information you have been given. it may make them rethink their standards in offering a skin test.....

Latest posts

Back