Newbie: What would you want to be told?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam.hop

Reaction score
Hi Geeks.

So I have a friend, who has a had a really tough couple of years and has had to previously 'give up' college because of certain difficult aspects in her life. Well she has finally got there and is a fully accredited beauty therapist and nail technician.

I am so incredibly proud of her so wanted to get her a special gift. I am making a book and writing down all the best titbits of information I can give her for her new career. I was wondering if you lovely geeks would be able to help. Just thinking back to when you first started what you wish somebody would have told you?

I have a good couple of pages but would love to hear other peoples perspective on important advice.

TIA :) xx

The one thing ive always told myself from the moment that i started , was - fake it till you make it. And by saying that i mean confidence. To this day, this is exactly what i tell my students. Even friends of mine tell me, that they keep repeating these words to them selves when starting out - just like ive told them to :) hth.

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Smile and treat all your clients like friends - but remember they are customers when it comes to paying!!

Never Ever bad mouth another salons,therapists, techs work. Never mind how bad you think it is.

Don't let people try and take advantage of you because they most defiantly will :)

Don't sell yourself short

What a lovely friend you are xxx

Read salon geek for good tips:)
Invest money in products wisely and keep track of income and outgoings from the start xxx

As my favourite piece of advice has been suggested (fake it til you make it) I will suggest the following:

No 'mates rates' - If she really wants to do something then no more than 10%

Don't let people pay you 'next week'

Have great customer service!!!!!!!

Be great at everything she does ... No cutting corners.

No freebies, maybe a small discount for very close family or friends but nothing for free
No credit as you'll most likely not be paid
Always be professional and on time
Definitely no discussing clients

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Buy cheap buy twice!
Start with the good stuff. :)

(I am making a new years resolution early...'No more cheap glitters off ebay' LOL!)

Aww how lovely!

Agree with all that's been said so something different - of say focus less on an extensive colour range for nails and all the 'fun' bits and more on the basics: a good website, leaflets, business cards and booking system. It will help her stay professional and knowing us beauty therapists, buying colours with profit will come naturally!

I'd also say ensure your basics are there. I've seen pics of nails adorned with swarovskis, bows, caviar etc which make them look nice but once you look past the adornments, side walls and eponychium are flooded for example

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

i have recently started my own home based nail salon. an im portant point, is that you do not have to squeeze every penny out of people for every little service. clients dont like to feel that youre a money-grabber. sometimes, doing a small cheap service for free brings clients back again because they feel you care about them and not the money.

a few practical tips (learned from my own experience):
-dont buy cheap versions, you will just end up buying the genuine product anyway. this includes nail lamps as well as polish.
-its ok to get it wrong, just keep researching and asking people online for help.

Practice practice practice! ESP polishing. I see so many nails on sale sites where they look ok but zoom in and the cucicle line is tatty, side walls are a mess. I particularly find this with people starting out in l&p as they don't shape side walls and the cuticle sweep isn't mastered x

Thank you geeks these are lovely suggestions, and I haven't thought of a lot of them, so fantastic!! Keep them coming.. Xx

Don't buy into fads - they go as quickly as they came and will leave you out of pocket.

When it comes to choosing brands/products - research, research and research again before parting with your money.

When you do invest, make sure you will make your money back, work out how long/how many treatments until your investment turns into a profit.

Marketing/advertising/promoting yourself never ends. You have to keep on doing it, year in year out.

Don't just chase new business and give offers to new clients, you must look after the clients you already have to keep them coming back.

Your education never ends. Aim to attend at least one training course a year to either update your skills or learn new ones.

Don't rush it! Become proficient at one skill before launching yourself into another new one.

A salon geek tip (more so if she is going to start her own business)

Work smarter not harder...

Don't be a busy poor person ;)

Charge your worth, whats the point in doing two clients shellac for £10 each when you can charge one person £20 less product, less time.

Its so hard starting your own business, you want to attract clients so think 'cheap' is the way to go... It is much harder to raise your prices than it is to do an offer!

Xx

Don't let any criticisms get you down, use them as a tool to help you learn and improve!

This one always comes back to me because yes, some people criticise out of jealousy but they usually try to insult your weak spot so make sure you keep learning and improving until you have little to no weak spots xx

Make retail part of your business. It can really help you through the quiet times.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Before opening officially for business, it is a MUST to have your salon policies available for all clients, it's a good idea to hand a copy of policy to client at end of first visit along with after care info.
By doing this it will avoid heart ache for tech and clients because having policies allows both sides to clearly understand what is expected of them.

Always use/have client consult card/file for every client and on this consult card/file there can be a section that is signed by client to say she/he has read salon policies and understands them, so if any issues do arise, you have no denial from client that they did not understand.

Latest posts

Back