Newly qualified and complaint I need to reply

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi I am newly qualified and I have just had my first complaint cancelation, client wasn't happy with her roots possible I hadn't got close enough although it was two weeks ago I did her hair and she hasn't told me until now. I want to reply with out sounding unprofessional , I need to acknowledge she's cancelled too can anyone help ? Sam xx

Should I offer money back etc ? X

Hi Hun

I would say that because it's been 2 weeks, she will already have noticeable regrowth, and if she had an issue you would have liked the opportunity to correct this at the time you did the colour.

Don't worry about it - she's probably got close to Xmas and realised she's skint, but is chancing her luck to get her roots done gain for free.

Xxx

I wouldn't offer her any money back as she has waited until 2 weeks later to say she isn't happy. I'd be asking why she didn't say at the time that she wasnt happy, then maybe you could have corrected the problem at the time. Sorry can't offer any more advice other than that, but I wouldn't give any money back, hopefully someone else will give a bit more advice :)

I'm not a hair geek and I'm sure someone will be along to help soon but 2 weeks is a long time to start complaining after in my opinion. Also you need to call her don't text back. For all she knows you could be with a client so you do have a bit of time before you need to call her to wait for a bit of advice. x

She wasn't horrible in the text and she knows I newly qualified I have done her a few times now and she's been happy. It's just a blow really but would still like to leave a good impression of how I dealt with her complaint x

Give her a call back and explain that because it's been 2 weeks you haven't had sufficient time after the service to rectify any problems she may have, explain that you need to know at latest 48 hours after doing anything to rectify and that in 2 weeks regrowth will be noticeable and due to this you can not offer a free service.

Maybe as goodwill you could offer it at 20% off but make sure u stress to her that it is goodwill or she will always do it x

It's was almost 3 weeks ago actually just checked my diary x

Just give her a call and say that unfortunately as she didn't mention at the time that she was unhappy you can't do anything about it now as 2 weeks is a long time to leave it before complaining and now there will be some visable regrowth anyway. You are very sorry that she is not happy with the treatment and felt she needed to cancel the next one and that you will take what she has said on board.

Is that any more help?

Id go and have a look myself, see what it is she is unhappy about and try to come to a resolution, but after 2 weeks I would be very reluctant to offer a refund xx

Sent from my E15i using SalonGeek

Give her a call back and explain that because it's been 2 weeks you haven't had sufficient time after the service to rectify any problems she may have, explain that you need to know at latest 48 hours after doing anything to rectify and that in 2 weeks regrowth will be noticeable and due to this you can not offer a free service.

Maybe as goodwill you could offer it at 20% off but make sure u stress to her that it is goodwill or she will always do it x

beat me too it x

She has cancelled her next appointment with me in the new year and said she's going to get it sorted quickly and thanked me for my help. Maybe I should just acknowledge her cancelation and leave it, hopefully wherever she goes won't completely put down my work :( x

Sounds to me like she were trying to get something for nothing and playing on you being "new" to your job. She is going to have some hair growth after 2 weeks and you cant control the speed in which her hair grows.
A true complaint would have been made before 2 weeks, root regrowth can be seen after 2 weeks on most people, do not offer any money back, you did your job.
And 3 weeks! oh yea she wants a freebie, when i were training it were colour and cut approx every 4 weeks for short hair

She has cancelled her next appointment with me in the new year and said she's going to get it sorted quickly and thanked me for my help. Maybe I should just acknowledge her cancelation and leave it, hopefully wherever she goes won't completely put down my work :( x

She sounds like a nice client. She hasn't asked you for a refund, just advised you that she's cancelling her next appointment as she has found the roots come through too quickly after having the service with you vs. her previous service provider.

I personally think it's amazing that the first thing you did was reflect on what you could have done to make the service better and what possible improvements you could have made to your techniques.

When you say you are newly qualified, is that level 2 or 3? And was that studied in a salon or at full time college?

Your attitude is amazing, and I'd hire you if you were in the North West. I have a team of 13 people in secure well paid jobs, and we're expanding all of the time. The one thing I find it difficult to do is drum into people the difference between constructive criticism and a moaning client. You've just had the former, and I have a feeling that you know (and understand) that fact.

Sounds to me like she were trying to get something for nothing and playing on you being "new" to your job. She is going to have some hair growth after 2 weeks and you cant control the speed in which her hair grows.
A true complaint would have been made before 2 weeks, root regrowth can be seen after 2 weeks on most people, do not offer any money back, you did your job.
And 3 weeks! oh yea she wants a freebie, when i were training it were colour and cut approx every 4 weeks for short hair

Maybe she's just a client who's alarmed at how much root regrowth has come through after less than 21 days? Maybe her previous foiler was better at getting closer to the root? Maybe she has loads of friends and loads of money, and lots and lots of influence?

We had a (NEW) client this week tell us that name badges would be nice as she didn't know everyone's names. The name badges are currently on their way and being engraved as we speak.

In a recession you can't afford to ignore your clients' needs. If you do, people like me will come and snatch them from you.

;)

Hi I'm qualified to level 2 It been left good I'm hopping only nice texts etc . I didn't really didn't have time to phone or go see her but did leave a professional acknowledgment. I have worked in customer service for years now so I always like to leave even unhappy customers with the sense I've done as much a possible a remained professional. However this has knocked my confidence a tad but I'm going to look into some more cutting and colouring courses in the new year and keep going :)

i wouldnt want to loose a client for the sake of a few foils, she has her pick of salons to go to and the way things are just now we need clients. I think i would ask to see her hair and if you think u would keep her as a client i would put some more thru but make her aware this is out of kindness and if she has a problem in the future i would ask her to let u know within 72 hrs. Enough time for her to wash and dry it herself..

3 weeks is along time tho x

She sounds like a nice client. She hasn't asked you for a refund, just advised you that she's cancelling her next appointment as she has found the roots come through too quickly after having the service with you vs. her previous service provider.

I personally think it's amazing that the first thing you did was reflect on what you could have done to make the service better and what possible improvements you could have made to your techniques.

When you say you are newly qualified, is that level 2 or 3? And was that studied in a salon or at full time college?

Your attitude is amazing, and I'd hire you if you were in the North West. I have a team of 13 people in secure well paid jobs, and we're expanding all of the time. The one thing I find it difficult to do is drum into people the difference between constructive criticism and a moaning client. You've just had the former, and I have a feeling that you know (and understand) that fact.

Maybe she's just a client who's alarmed at how much root regrowth has come through after less than 21 days? Maybe her previous foiler was better at getting closer to the root? Maybe she has loads of friends and loads of money, and lots and lots of influence?

We had a (NEW) client this week tell us that name badges would be nice as she didn't know everyone's names. The name badges are currently on their way and being engraved as we speak.

In a recession you can't afford to ignore your clients' needs. If you do, people like me will come and snatch them from you.

;)

I agree, it's not like she's trying her luck looking refunded, sounds like she's just noticed they aren't as close to her roots as with other stylists :biggrin:
Just makle sure you take really fine sections :wink2:

I would ask her to come back in ASAP, check through her hair you can then see exactly what she is not happy with, it's worth trying to keep clients, if she is not happy with the way it was done find out why explain you can only get so close with foil! Maybe colour needed to be lighter, or put in on a different angle. Good luck .

;)

I agree. You've had a long standing relationship with this woman so I would offer her free that way you won't lose her custom or your self esteem. The Customer is always right even when they are an obvious pain in the butt.
Regards

I would ask her to come back in ASAP, check through her hair you can then see exactly what she is not happy with, it's worth trying to keep clients, if she is not happy with the way it was done find out why explain you can only get so close with foil! Maybe colour needed to be lighter, or put in on a different angle. Good luck .

I was thinking the angle bit also, maybe its the hairline which isnt close enough, in which case, you could put her highlights in diagonally...a normally do mine this way anyway, but its all in the consultation...i always ask if the client wears her hair up, if so then id go ahead with diagonal :)

Latest posts

Back