Nfu.oh cuticle oil

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will offer no further comment on this thread as I'm sure that you have an ulterior (and somewhat disturbing) motive in your comments.

Goodnight.

No motive at all, I just wanna know why the use of mineral oil?
In my last post I re-worded what I meant by ignorant (ignorant of ingredients), imagine if you liked a liquid, yet it contained MMA ? MMA is a dramatic comparison, but techs should be aware of what is in all products. In Australa we have to have MSDS on site, I like to know what all those ingredients do and what purpose they serve.

I love the look, love the bottle, love the petals, but can't understand the mineral oil, how is that so personal?

As a nail technician, will you still retail them and have them available in your product line even though you know that the oil inside are mineral oil and they mean nothing to the client's enhancement?

Legal Term

if you don't find more information as you are nail technician
= negligent, guilty of or as of duty :twisted:

if you know what's that inside
= intentionally, guilty :Scared:

I must be guilty then mustn't I, because I know what is inside the products I sell.

I think the 'ignorance' lies elsewhere in this thread and I also think there is a bit of back peddling going on.

To compare cosmetic grade mineral oil to MMA is, at best, ridiculous, and, as stated already, if a company such as CND put it in their products, and their Scientific advisor is Doug Schoon, who has already been mentioned, then I think we can all work out for ourselves that there is some sensationalist attention seeking going on here.

It is cuticle oil! Get a grip! ;)

Yurionfire - be careful of quoting legal terms! I have had a look at your profile and see you are a Post Graduate Law student. Well done on that but because of it you need to be careful just what you are accusing people of.

Mods - I think this thread needs to be closed. It breaches the rules on so many levels!

Last edited:
I must be guilty then mustn't I, because I know what is inside the products I sell.

I think the 'ignorance' lies elsewhere in this thread and I also think there is a bit of back peddling going on.

To compare cosmetic grade mineral oil to MMA is, at best, ridiculous, and, as stated already, if a company such as CND put it in their products, and their Scientific advisor is Doug Schoon, who has already been mentioned, then I think we can all work out for ourselves that there is some sensationalist attention seeking going on here.

It is cuticle oil! Get a grip! ;)

Yes it is cuticle oil we are talking about, not other products, but YOU bring them into it, cuticle oil is the issue at point, mineral oils in cuticle oil, not in other products.

In no way am I back-peddling, I am merely having to explain myself to the over sensitive that try and ambush me at every comment, while feeling comfortable about selling about a product.

This isn't about nfu, it's about Mineral Oil in cuticles oils, no matter how much you try and make it otherwise, the original post was about nfo oils, I merely added why I prefer NOT to use them and choose other brands (which do not contain Mineral Oil).

I prefer the botanical element in cuticle oils than have proven to penetrate the nailplate and serve a purpose, rather than use (and pay for Oils) that merely sit on the surface.

I am still waiting for the reason why (and it's benefits) of Mineral Oil in nfu's cuticle oil, but nobody wishes to educate me, or any others that may be interested in this post when making a choice as to which cuticles oils to purchase and sell to theirs clients whilst knowing the benefits of the said ingredients.

Think 2 things,
  1. Cuticle Oil - Reputable Cuticle Oils
  2. Mineral Oil - What it does for cuticles and nails

More science, less bitching please.

Last edited:
no doubt it is pretty ....... but it is glamourised baby oil.

Baby oil is mineral Oil .... and if this isn't the case why do other manufactures pride themselves on more expensive botanicals which are proven to penetrate the nailplate and skin, while Nfu.oh use mineral/cheap oil, yet wholesale for much more than other respected products ..... toss aside the petals petal, of course.

The worldwide top manufacturers do not use mineral oil for a reason, perhaps you should consult Doug Schoons book as to why mineral oils serve very little purpose in a cuticle oil.

Of course distributors will whinge, that's their job while creating profit margins, whilst other products have science on their side.

Perhaps Nfu.oh can explain/defend why the need for mineral/baby oil in their products and it's purpose, above and beyond the worlds leading scientist in nail chemistry.

Until then, ........ it's profiteering, (no matter what message is sent to me in private) ...... perhaps I should rephrase my past comments...... it's not about ignorant techs, it's about those that are ignorant of ingredients and MSDS, which oddly enough, by law we should provide and ....... respectable techs perhaps understand the purpose of ingredients, as well as ingredients that serve little purpose in certain products.

"the-male-geek", perhaps you can clarify, shed some science on the importance of mineral oil and it's purpose, maybe there is some new science we/I am not aware of, I await enlightenment as to it's purpose, rather than to dilute luxurious botanicals scientifically proven to serve a purpose by the worlds leading manufacturers and scientists in this field.

What difference is there in using Cosmetic Grade Mineral Oil in a Cuticle Oil or a Masque? In fact it wasn't me who brought up the 'other' products it was Kitkat last night, and rightly so.

No one is picking on you my darling, just defending ourselves from the accusations of being 'ignorant' by you and 'guilty' by Yurionfire.

I am sorry this thread has not turned out the way you hoped, you have accused leading manufacturers of profiteering and intentionally taking advantage of us 'ignorant' techs!

I will continue to keep myself educated and independant of any particular product or camp. I will also continue to use whichever product I see fit snd not dictate to others what they should use. I try to help new people on here as best I can, and, sometimes, I do not see eye to eye with others. However, I do try to be fair and do try to engage my brain before opening my big gob! :D

Ok, well i'm still very much a new girl so dont shoot me for getting involved!! :D But i'm sure there are plenty of others out these reading this and wondering, so i've been googling mineral oil and found a few bits about it:

Mineral oil is an occlusive moisturizer. This means mineral oil prevents skins water loss by creating a barrier over the skin. Mineral oil is slowly absorbed by the skin, aiding in moisturizing and healing wounded skin.

Mineral oil is considered one of the safest skin-care ingredients because it virtually never causes allergic reactions.

Mineral oil is a frequently used occlusive ingredient. Occlusives, which dissolve fats and coat the stratum corneum to inhibit transepidermal water loss, yield an emollient effect that is well suited to treating dry skin. Petrolatum, lanolin, mineral oil, and silicones are the most effective occlusive ingredients (Skin Therapy Lett. 2005; 10:1-8).
It is important to note that the use of occlusive products does not achieve long-lasting results--transepidermal water loss re turns to its previous level after the agent is cleaned from the skin. Occlusive agents are generally used in combination with humectants (water-soluble, hygroscopic substances), because reducing transepidermal water loss by more than 40% risks maceration with elevated bacteria levels (Cutis 1987;39:512-5).
Almost 20 years ago, a mineral oil emulsion was found to be more effective than various linoleic acid emulsions in reducing skin vapor loss in volunteers who received topical applications of sodium lauryl sulfate solution (Contact Dermatitis 1989;20:93-7). Recently, in a randomized, double-blind controlled trial comparing mineral oil with extra-virgin coconut oil as a moisturizer to treat mild to moderate xerosis in 34 patients, both groups showed significant improvement in skin hydration and surface lipid levels. Both products were deemed to be efficacious and safe ([COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]Dermatitis[/COLOR][/COLOR] 2004;15:109-16). Mineral oil also is effective as an adjuvant therapy for wound healing (Cosmetics & Toiletries 1998; 113:33-40).

It might be me being ignorant but i dont get what the fuss is about?! Surely its a case of horses for courses, and as a company or a tech, you use what you find most suitable and what you prefer.

Personally, i like it, it makes the skin around my own fingers (which i used to nibble a bit being a horrible nail muncher) softer and has helped to heal and get rid of the nasty little dry bits that i used to want to chew off!!

Each to their own i think, lets go have a nice vodka and be happy :D:D

(hides as everyone charges at the ignorant tech to beat her with sticks)

Excuse me if some words sound accusing someone, I didn't mean to hurt anyone just comparing by the price on the market at the same quantity.

I'm Asian and I went to Korea before so that I know some of Korean products. In Asia market, we know all that China is the main supplier and I did not say that Chinese products are bad as long as they have QC.

Just want to raise he point that if they are not that special product, why you price them so high?

This is consumer rights and we need to be informed by the manufacturer or distributor. So please consider the point that when you see the manufacture try to sell some colourful candy to your wee kids, what's on your mind? Try to fool those kids by using colourful products.

The same ways when clients buy your retail products, just they thought that the buy them from professional nail technician so please, it's professional career both legal and nail technician.

This is a storm in a tea cup that was made that way via really poor communication. I also think that the insinuation that the team didn't jump to delete this thread because a distributor didn't like what was being said is sort of insulting. Especially with the slight regarding "The Event".

While I think Carl's posts are (not unusually) overly aggressive - it could have been nipped quite quickly and responsibly.

Mineral Oil is a great "sealant" for skin and nails, but isn't designed to penetrate (that is its purpose). Not sure what the reference to CND's use of mineral oil has to do with this either (which CND doesn't use in products designed to penetrate nails like SolarOil).

Regardless, next time skip the strop (on both sides), discuss the facts and if you disagree after that - be adults - shake hands and walk away instead of chucking mud around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back