Nice try - a scam story

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chickafish

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon, I picked up a call (yes... picked up. They rang me. I didn't ring them) from a "broadband technician" who was going to help me with my recent connectivity issue. She had a very heavy Asian accent. She said her name was Karen Roberts. She spoke very fast, making it almost impossible to understand what she was saying, so I had to make her repeat herself quite a bit. But the gist of her rambling was she was to help me with my "slow computer speed" due to my "poor internet connectivity".

One thing was missing. She never told me who she was working for. So I asked. She said Virigin Media. :rolleyes: "But I'm not with Virgin media. I haven't been for like a year now?" She rambled on some more but I didn't really catch what she was saying. But she wanted me to turn on my computer and connect to the internet. By then, I'd lost patience because a) I just couldn't understand what she was saying due to the fast talking and her heavy accent, and b) I'm not an idiot, and I smelled something funny. So I said, "Yea listen. I can't understand a word you're saying. I'm gonna hang up now."

End of the story? No. Later in the evening (close to 9pm), she called again! She was trying to hide her accent more, and this time she said her name was Judy Smith and that she's calling from Taptalk Virgin BT Sky broadband. :lol: (Wow! More random words than a Japanese game show!) She gave the same line about there being a report that my computer has slowed down due to my poor internet connection, and she's calling to help me speed up my computer. I ended up saying something like "wow... you sound hot. So what are you wearing? Got a personal number so I can call you after work?" She hung up.

So my point is this- had I been someone who was not as computer/internet savvy, this person would've been able to access my personal PC remotely- and I would've been the idiot who gave her access. Who knows what damage one can do with that sort of access. The thing was, I HAD made a report with my internet provider about my connection, but it was already resolved months ago- and by another provider, not Virgin Media. Also, it wouldn't have been my entire computer that was slow- just my internet browser (obviously because of the broadband connection). Just thought I'd share my story in case this is a new thing happening, and they should happen to call you guys and gals. Stay safe, geeks!

Thanks for the heads up. This has happened to a client of mine too. How do these con artists sleep at night? I'm completely baffled. :(

This has also happened to one of my ladies. She was savvy enough to tell them no
Vicki x

This happened to a friends mum. She hung up on them but when we got in she was all worried saying but they said there was something wrong with the computer...feel like you have to be wary of everyone these days.

I had this a few months back in the middle of the night? Told then to f*** off!

I get these calls regularly. Mine are usually "hello I'm calling from widows, we've had reports sent remotely from your computer that its slow, can you please access your computer and go ahead and turn it on"
Me: your from Microsoft?
Them: no, windows, not Microsoft.
Me: but isn't windows from Microsoft?
Them: no it's not. Are you at your computer?
Me: yes...
Them: go ahead and turn it on, press start then search now type in (gobbledygook) and go ahead and press enter
Me: what do I type?.... Again?.... What's after e?.... What's the first letter again?.... Ok that's done.
Them: what's on the screen?
Me: I've no idea I'm not at my pc.
Them: you waste my time, swearing, why waste me time?

Or when they ask me to go to start,
Me: where's start?
Them: in the extreme left hand bottom corner
Me: where? I can't find it *they repeat*
And on it goes like that 3/4 times
Me: oh I know why I can't find it
Them: why?
Me: I use mac, and Windows's full title is Microsoft windows 7, I am an it technician you know (lies but who cares)

They hang up instantly.

I actually enjoy these calls, and winding them up.
"Yes I am over 60 and no I don't have life insurance" says a 24 year old...

The best I've heard is someone was called repeatedly about having a conservatory and would they like someone to go around, measure and quote? After a load of calls they decided to give in and gave their real address.... It was an upstairs apartment. X

It can get quite entertaining if you are in the right mood. I had one call me and asked me to verify who I was, so I asked them to verify who they were. This went on back and forth a few times until I said, look, it's not really happening is it? We agreed to terminate the call.

My other half gets really shirty as we are meant to be on the telephone preference service. He gave a right earful to the last one that cold called and I actually cringed, just a little bit.

I've had this to, I told them that's strange about my computer running slow because I don't and never have had a computer,lol. Promptly get hung up on. Shame when people get taken in, my dad would be a prime candidate for them although he is pretty deaf they'd soon get fed up of having to repeat themselves, lol. X

So I had a call from Yell.com helping me with my listing and trying to sell to me. It was a british accent asking me to go to a link in order to see what she was doing on her screen... was this legit? Or a scam too?

That sounds a bit dodgy to me! I wouldn't go to any link to see what someone was doing on their screen. :Scared:

It's scary how easily they can get someone who isn't as aware. They're very pushy and rude too when you play dumb with them. :lol:

Haha I had one of these once, similar thing along the lines of heavy asian accent with a British name, let them say their spiel & told them I had a mac & I wasn't interested, cue very long silence and then they hung up!

Last edited:
So I had a call from Yell.com helping me with my listing and trying to sell to me. It was a british accent asking me to go to a link in order to see what she was doing on her screen... was this legit? Or a scam too?

I had this too but it's not a scam. They do it so they are able to show you everything that yell.com can offer you etc... like area and prices xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

This scam has been going on for years, you might be interested in this:

'Microsoft support centre' scam continues, and takes turn for worse | Technology | guardian.co.uk

There was a broadcast on Radio 4 some time ago where a journalist played along with one of these scammers - very entertaining. Personally it sickens me that people are doing this on such a scale - obviously highly organised.

I know about the Microsoft scam. It seems now they're pretending to be broadband providers to try to gain access to people. I guess because they realize their chances are cut in half due to Mac users :lol:

I know about the Microsoft scam. It seems now they're pretending to be broadband providers to try to gain access to people. I guess because they realize their chances are cut in half due to Mac users :lol:

Yes, probably the same criminal gang involved - ba****ds! I've had several calls myself recently - gave them a piece of my mind on a couple of occasions!

I get these calls regularly. Mine are usually "hello I'm calling from widows, we've had reports sent remotely from your computer that its slow, can you please access your computer and go ahead and turn it on"
Me: your from Microsoft?
Them: no, windows, not Microsoft.
Me: but isn't windows from Microsoft?
Them: no it's not. Are you at your computer?
Me: yes...
Them: go ahead and turn it on, press start then search now type in (gobbledygook) and go ahead and press enter
Me: what do I type?.... Again?.... What's after e?.... What's the first letter again?.... Ok that's done.
Them: what's on the screen?
Me: I've no idea I'm not at my pc.
Them: you waste my time, swearing, why waste me time?

Or when they ask me to go to start,
Me: where's start?
Them: in the extreme left hand bottom corner
Me: where? I can't find it *they repeat*
And on it goes like that 3/4 times
Me: oh I know why I can't find it
Them: why?
Me: I use mac, and Windows's full title is Microsoft windows 7, I am an it technician you know (lies but who cares)

They hang up instantly.

I actually enjoy these calls, and winding them up.
"Yes I am over 60 and no I don't have life insurance" says a 24 year old...

The best I've heard is someone was called repeatedly about having a conservatory and would they like someone to go around, measure and quote? After a load of calls they decided to give in and gave their real address.... It was an upstairs apartment. X

Lol similar happened with my sister, they kept calling and pestering that she needs her guttering changed etc

she told them no loads of times and in the end got fed up and told them to come round and fit it, she lives in a huge block of apartments and they had no clue lol served them right for pestering people!

They then kept calling with abuse and threats of wasting their time?!😏

These calls drive me crazy! I feel bad for elderly people that have to deal with these and get conned.

I have held the phone to the toilet and flushed a few times when I've gotten one of these calls; I have also said 'could you please hold' and just gone about business vacuuming etc. lol

Yell.com are just as bad even though they are a "trusted" name, they harass, get rude and push sales.
I know the accent of the man as soon as he starts talking I say "I won't buy anything from you, your bloody rude" and hang up. Next time ill no doubt ill sware a little.

The tassimo advert is it? Where she makes her coffee and let's them waste their time and tells them to call same time tomorrow lol love it ! Soon put them out if business if we waste their time and money in phone bills :)

Latest posts

Back