Nightmare client who wants refund

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twenty8twelve

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking to get some thoughts, hope you can help!

I have a client that had come to me for a few years. She booked a course of CACI/facials and has continuously cancelled her appointments (7 in total) she has not given me 24hour notice on any of them, some cancellations have been by text late at night and 1 day turned up and cancelled on arrival!

Where do I stand as she is now demanding her money back? She had 3 facials out of the 10 and bought the course with a discount.

I'm now getting abusive and personal texts as I said I don't give refunds (I've said I'm happy for her to have the remaining facials)

Many thanks

I personally don't think you should give her a refund as the appoint ment she cancelled as they were less that 24 hours notice she should still be charged for them cx

I personally don't think you should give her a refund as the appoint ment she cancelled as they were less that 24 hours notice she should still be charged for them cx

Thankyou, that's what I think but I'm just a bit concerned what she's going to do especially as she's getting abusive

I understand what you mean as she is being abusive but you can just explain to her that you have a 24 hour cancellation and if the client has not cancelled then they will still be charged as you can't have clients cancelling last minute.
If she tries to create a bad reputation then you could write a post on your facebook page (if you have one) saying that besides of previous clients you need to give a 24 hour cancellation and you could explain what happened

Do you have a written cancellation policy that clients are made aware of before booking?
If so, just stick to the terms.
If not, you need to negotiate with her and try to come to a compromise.

Depends on the original contract course she bought did she or you sign anything ?

What exactly is she demanding all 7 remaining treatments at the 10 x bundles discount rate? Which is only valid if client has all 10, if she cancels the course due to whatever reason you refund the remaining : AT FULL cost of the original facial : so she will only get that discounted price IF she took all 10 facials otherwise she pays full price.

Just explain that to her. In a text or via phone call.

Second: appointments not given 24hr notice or especially on arrival will still be charged for. I think this is basic salon rules for all over the world.

Thirdly : legally I don't think she has a leg to stand on if she paid for 10 and cancelled then no, if she tried to re book and you couldn't see her that is different. If you set those app times aside for her and she didn't come so you lost potential income . So those are charged for. I used to not charge but now I do because those clients who are friends or take advantage don't respect you therefore you don't want them as clients.

Generally if in an argument people get really rude and nasty I usually think it reflects poorly on them. If she approached your with genuine concern for finance or was decent then sure I think you can on your own KINDNESS refund her but not if she is being rude .
You not a bloody door mat!!

Do you have a written cancellation policy that clients are made aware of before booking?
If so, just stick to the terms.
If not, you need to negotiate with her and try to come to a compromise.

No I don't but I've certainly have learnt from this. Thankyou for your reply

Depends on the original contract course she bought did she or you sign anything ?

What exactly is she demanding all 7 remaining treatments at the 10 x bundles discount rate? Which is only valid if client has all 10, if she cancels the course due to whatever reason you refund the remaining : AT FULL cost of the original facial : so she will only get that discounted price IF she took all 10 facials otherwise she pays full price.

Just explain that to her. In a text or via phone call.

Second: appointments not given 24hr notice or especially on arrival will still be charged for. I think this is basic salon rules for all over the world.

Thirdly : legally I don't think she has a leg to stand on if she paid for 10 and cancelled then no, if she tried to re book and you couldn't see her that is different. If you set those app times aside for her and she didn't come so you lost potential income . So those are charged for. I used to not charge but now I do because those clients who are friends or take advantage don't respect you therefore you don't want them as clients.

Generally if in an argument people get really rude and nasty I usually think it reflects poorly on them. If she approached your with genuine concern for finance or was decent then sure I think you can on your own KINDNESS refund her but not if she is being rude .
You not a bloody door mat!!

Hi, Thankyou so much for your reply. I think she is demanding the 7 treatments back. You're absolutely right, the majority of salons require a 24 hour cancellation but I think as she has got to know me she has taken advantage. I've sent a text but have not heard anything back so far.

Will keep you posted!

Thankyou

I understand what you mean as she is being abusive but you can just explain to her that you have a 24 hour cancellation and if the client has not cancelled then they will still be charged as you can't have clients cancelling last minute.
If she tries to create a bad reputation then you could write a post on your facebook page (if you have one) saying that besides of previous clients you need to give a 24 hour cancellation and you could explain what happened

Thankyou. Yes I do have a Facebook page so if I need to use it then I will. Will keep you posted if I hear anymore but she has gone quiet at the moment!

I would refund her, but charge her the original price for each of the 3 facials she has had, plus the one she turned up and cancelled on the day and refund her the difference.

The others 3 you will have to put down to experience, unless you have a legally binding sign contract with her.

This way it's a 'win win' for both of you.

By doing this you are showing you are willing to meet her half way, and she will be less inclined to bad mouth you and she may come back and book again with you.

For all you know she could be experiencing sudden financial hardship, jobless, domestic violence and really needs the money, not a facial!

She sounds very desperate to me, just be understanding and part refund her.

As business owners we have to be understanding and flexible. Having a 'non refunds' policy does not work in this day and age and consumers do have rights. I feel what I have suggested is fare for both parties and positive way to move forward.

Next time a client block books facials it may be worth having a contract drawn up so this does not happen again.

I would refund her also. When clients buy a service or goods you have to give them your written terms and conditions. If not it is assumed that you do not have any and thus a client can challenge the sale. Please contact your Citizens Advice Bureau - they will tell you that all businesses have to give clients their terms of business.

I would be fuming if someone had messed me around like that, people can be a nightmare and they really don't care that you are trying to make a living. Charge her full price for the three she's had, charge her for the no show or less than 24 hours notice and then refund her the difference. Then get your terms and conditions on your price list, website and have them on reception, people will still mess you around but at least you can refer to them.

Latest posts

Back