Nightmare clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlie109

Reaction score
Had a client call today asking for a quote for a cut and blowdry I gave her a quote of £25 she complained that it was to expensive and asked how much a dry cut was is said £10 to which she replied that I was just ripping people off!! That her husband can get his hair done for £6 so why should she be charged more, she then said 10mins would cut her hair and did I think it would be fair to charge a pound a minute!!!! I was at boiling point! So I explained that she's not paying a quid a min for a cut she's paying for the £1000s of pounds I spent at college and the 1000s of hours I spent training to cut hair, that this £10 cut is equivalent to months as a student on £2 an hour, spending nights with no electric in the house so I had money for the bus to get to collage... The days I spent finishing collage at one and waiting rain hail or snow on the next bus at 5, the scrimping and saving to pay for extra courses and equipment, the voluntary work over the summers to gain experience, the 3 soild years of commitment to reaching my qualification, when so many others dropped out, late nights n early starts, lunch runs cleaning hair of skirting boards and everything else I between! This is why I charge £10 for a dry cut, did u honestly believe I just woke up one morning and knew how to cut hair?? I believe your money would be better spent in another salon! I hate when people ask you to justify prices!! Like I'm not even expensive!! That was probably not the most professional answer I could have gave but some times you just have to open peoples eyes to all the ground work you put into being able to confidently lift a pair if scissors and do a proper cut!! Ahhggggg!! #rantover

It's annoying when people don't respect your worth but you shouldn't have to justify your prices to her, its your business and you can charge what you like! I wonder why she doesn't just go to where she normally goes if she can get it for that price!

I had it with a woman the other day moaning about the price of kids cuts in a salon over the road, to be honest they weren't much more than mine but she didn't get that in the time it took me to do her 2 fidgety kids, I could have done one full price adult cut which would have been much easier and taken the same money! I also charge full price on Saturdays for kids and they don't like that either!

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Clients really don't see the time and money uv have invested in your career, it's so frustrating when I have clients trying to bargain prices, I have to explain that I would be turning away full price paying clients to do their discounted do... I honestly don't even no why she called, is there anyone who would do a dry cut for less really?? In my opinion £10 is very reasonable

I no what u mean a bout kids some of them take twice the time as a regular clients! I refuse to cut crying children I hate mummy's saying il hold his head u cut quick!! Nope I just refuse...

I no what u mean a bout kids some of them take twice the time as a regular clients! I refuse to cut crying children I hate mummy's saying il hold his head u cut quick!! Nope I just refuse...

I won't cut small childrens hair. I have had a mother approach me with a sleeping 9 month old baby and ask me to quickly trim a fringe (!?) I have had 3 year olds screaming into thier parents shoulders and being asked to just trim the back and kids who will not sit still at all. If they are under 6 I won't cut their hair. End of.

As for clients asking you to justify a price, or making you feel you should, that's incredibly rude! I have had clients ask about my profit margins because "the dye stuff is only a couple of quid in the warehouse" <----- her actual words. :eek: I think your response sums it up for a lot of hairdressers. It was rude of her to comment!

Yea I really thought it was rude! I was highly offended! N you can only smile and be nice for so long... Think I mite implement that rule my self about no under sixes had a client come in once with a 4mth old asking me to shave her head cuz it will make her hair thicker when she's older obliviously I said no she wanted a 0 all over i have no kids but I no a 4mth old couldn't handle bare clippers over their head!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I really thought it was rude! I was highly offended! N you can only smile and be nice for so long... Think I mite implement that rule my self about no under sixes had a client come in once with a 4mth old asking me to shave her head cuz it will make her hair thicker when she's older obliviously I said no she wanted a 0 all over i have no kids but I no a 4mth old couldn't handle bare clippers over their head!!!!!

That's shocking. I don't know where people get the idea that shaving hair anywhere makes it come back thicker. I know a girl who cut all her baby's hair off at 5 months old, with scissors, under the impression that it would grow back nicer. It was fine very blonde whispy baby hair, longer in some places than others. Well it grew back exactly the same, the child was simply appeared bald for a little while because her hair was so fair. People really do fascinate me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol I no! Stupid wives tales.... She said she did it with all her kids n it worked, like how does she no if it worked she has nothing to compare it to??!

This is true, her children obviously have the hair she expects naturally. No need for running a clipper over a delicate scalp. That's one to go in the book of strange client requests along with "if I bring my own dye will it be cheaper?" And "can I have just one layer?" Lol

i would just say 'no problem' with a big smile and send her on her merry way!!!!!
goodluck to her finding some were that does a decent cut for less than a tenna.

Brilliant answer good on you for putting your point across x

I really do wonder why people think we don't deserve to earn a living it's sad

I hAve a client who has near black hair and she has to get her roots done every couple of weeks.... She asked me today if there's anything she can do about her roots??? I don't really know what she expects but I said the only thing really is to try and go lighter, she refuses to do this so I said... If you want I can do a touch up where I colour your parting roots and the side panels for a cheaper price...... She replied " is that IT?!" Really annoyed me I was like what do you want me to do cut the price because your hair grows. Annoying

I love dealing with complaining deal hags!....Wow what a deal your husband gets! Why waste time calling all the salons in town. You should go get it cut where he goes it sounds like your best deal! I can't offer you a price match so good luck & when you call me to fix your hack & chop it will cost you more.:evil:

Does she go into a restaurant and complain that the ingredients on her plate only cost £1.50 from asda?

I would love her to go where her husband goes and come out with the same £6.00 cut lol x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

lol I'm glad I'm not the only one with ridiculous requests... I'd swear she just called to deliberately complain cuz she will never get the price she's looking anywhere even a bad hair cut isn't that cheap

We get it all the time!

We reward people for rebooking, so regulars get something back for loyalty.

Honestly, we have a £67 haircut then different levels right down to £32- the most complaints I get about pricing are the £32 ones!

Can you discount that? No I can't!

I worked in Brighton for 3years and my clients paid anything from £50-£65 for a cut and finish with no complaints... I'm passed being annoyed now I actually find it amusing that she thinks we are expensive... Very temped to recommend another salon that would coat her 10 times more &#128514;

Its like clients want us to work for free they wouldn't go to work and not get paid for it! One client was going to be a model for full head foils which is £25 and she came to drop off a deposit and I noticed she wasn't booked in for anything else so I said are you having it blowdried and she said how much is a blow dry as a model and I said its £8 and she said no thanks so I said ok thats fine but we will have to blast it off to see the colour but we dont charge anything for that so she cancelled the appointment!!

She can come to me for our standard £6 cut, I'll do it no problem....it consists of a 2 minute number 1,2,3 or 4 all over.

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back