Nightmare Shellac client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarasparkles201

Reaction score
Hi geeks just had a client who came for shellac, she picked hot chillis and zillionaire.

Waited until i had finished then decided to tell me in her opinion i had not used enough product on her nails, as she could still see her nail underneath,i explained to her that she had 2 coats as recommended and if she wasnt happy i would remove it for her.

She told me she didnt have time to have it re done , but would come back monday to have a re-shellac and pay me then.

I have always thought hot chillis was sheer should i apply 3 coats instead of two?:irked:

Hi geeks just had a client who came for shellac, she picked hot chillis and zillionaire.

Waited until i had finished then decided to tell me in her opinion i had not used enough product on her nails, as she could still see her nail underneath,i explained to her that she had 2 coats as recommended and if she wasnt happy i would remove it for her.

She told me she didnt have time to have it re done , but would come back monday to have a re-shellac and pay me then.

I have always thought hot chillis was sheer should i apply 3 coats instead of two?:irked:

could read this situation both ways really, it sounds a little unfair to call her a nightmare! It seems like a breakdown in communication which ultimately is down to the tech. She obviously did not want a sheer, but picked Hot Chills without realising (it does tell you on the bottle it is sheer). You should have informed her that was a sheer, but that it could either be layered over an opaque colour or 3 coats used for full coverage. The fact you didn't realise she didn't want a sheer means something was missing in the client consult.

I don't think it's unreasonable that she didn't tell you until you had finished as unless as i'm assuming you didn't give her an opportunity to inspect/critique her her nails before you topcoated?

Having said that, you could be wary that she is doing a fast one with her withholding money and you won't hear from or see her again- i'm a little suspicious when people seem to want 'free' nails done for the weekend! You have performed the service and not liking the colour/finish isn't enough reason to withhold payment. She should still pay you.

But putting yourself in the clients shoes she's unlikely to use your services again unless you go above and beyond to 'fix' the problem. It could just be the way you have written it on the forum but it does sound like you were a little confrontational. (offering to remove should be a last resort!).

Last edited:
Please say you didn't let her walk away without paying?

Did you think it needed a third coat? Some gelicure colours do, I play it by ear. Or eye!

Hot Chillies is a semi sheer colour and is meant to be that way ... 2 coats gives you the colour it should be. For complete opacity you could layer Hot Chillies over one of the opaque reds that tones with it.

You can always make any semi-sheer colour, opaque by using the layering technique. Usually just one coat of each so you don't get that 'thick' look you can sometimes get with three colour coats.

I offered to remove and re-shellac tonight but she said she did not have time for that, and it was her suggestion that she returned on monday when she had the time.

I did explain that it was sheer, which is when she decided to overlay it, not once during the the time she was here did she say she wasnt happy, she said she had shellac before but a much darker colour.

I personally didnt think it needed a second coat, but i guess each to their own, would have much easier for her to say could i put another coat on.

I wasnt in any way confrontational with her as nor she was with me, i guess it was the way i wrote the post.

I did explain that it was sheer, which is when she decided to overlay it,

So she did say she didn't want a sheer and wanted it layered (as geeg described above?) What was the second colour you used?

You may or may not have offered this option, but I believe it is possible to add another colour + top coat on a finished application which would be quicker than removing and starting again.

Hope Geeg doesn't mind if I quote a post form her from way back explaining how to do this...!
Adding another coat of Shellac AFTER topcoat?
the answer to your question is that yes you can give the surface a light buff (no need to remove all of the top coat away ) and then add another coat of colour and top coat.

from this thread:
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/136090-adding-another-coat-shellac-after-topcoat.html

Last edited:
She choose zillonaire as the second colour, which i said was a clear coat with glitter she said that was what she wanted, so i did as she asked me to do.

I think she thought it would be darker then it was, and that is what the problem was, but she never that, i think she should of stuck to her first choice which was Hollywood, and given her the colour she wanted.

She choose zillonaire as the second colour, which i said was a clear coat with glitter she said that was what she wanted, so i did as she asked me to do.

I think she thought it would be darker then it was, and that is what the problem was, but she never that, i think she should of stuck to her first choice which was Hollywood, and given her the colour she wanted.

Did you do two coats of Hot Chilis and one coat of Zillionaire or one coat of each?

I used Hot Chillis today with Zillionaire, you really need the 2 coats of HC in my opinion.... it's too sheer otherwise and the sparkle looks better over a more intense colour rather than sheer.

She picked it off my colour wheel where in fact it didn't look anything like as sheer as it does on the nail for some reason.

Just bear it in mind for next time, try to keep the lady happy and a repeat customer and you'll be doing well. I hope she comes back and you can work it out x

I used to coats of HC and one of Zillionaire, i thni she wanted darker colour to begin with as she had choosen Hollywood then changed her mind at the last min.

See what happens monday she's one that is just having it done for the party season

Aww I feel for you...I would have done the same in your situation.

I think it's unfair for her to withhold payment because she decided she didn't really like the colour she picked herself.

Hope it goes well Monday. :)

So let me get this straight.

1. You told her up front that Hot Chilis was sheer
  2. She decided to go ahead with that color any way
  3. She let you finish the service
  4. Then when you're done, she decides it's too sheer and she's not going to pay until she "comes back on Monday."
Uh....No!

Sounds to me that you informed her of the sheerness of the polish prior to application and she still opted for it. She should pay for the service. There's no way in hell I would have let her walk out without payment.

Or....she didn't like them? It only takes 10 minutes to remove Shellac. I would've removed the Shellac before I let her walk out of the salon with a free service...that's for sure. No way she's going to have a lovely set of nails for Christmas parties this weekend on my dime.

Just sayin'

yes u could apply 3 coats. with shellac you should apply 2 thin layers instead of 2 thick layers. is better to apply 3 thin layers than 2 thick layers with shellac. hope that helps

Latest posts

Back