Nightmares?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxsarahj25xx

Reaction score
Anyone get waking nightmares? By this i mean waking up and still seeing parts of your dream, being in sort of trance state convinced what you see is real. I dony normally get them more than once a month but ive had 2 tonite :( takes me a while to settle down and rationalise that its not real before i can go back to sleep so yeah, anyone else get these? Or do i need wheeling off to the loony bin now haha xx

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

Oh that's horrible :-(
I can't be of much use to u as I don't get them, however, my friends little boy gets a similar things. He sleep walks all the time (with his eyes open) and she has to guide him back to bed. Sometimes he talks to her when this is happening, on a few occasions he has shouted at her saying "get away, I want my mummy, you're not my mummy, get away from me"! It's horrible for her as she has to try and calm him down and explain it is her and try to guide him back to bed without waking him fully otherwise it takes him ages to settle too!
I know that doesn't help at all, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone and you don't need to be carted off to the loony bin..... Just yet!!!! Lol
Xxx

yes! I get these quite often it's sleep paralysis where you often get terryifying hallucinatios. It's like your minds awake and can see what's going on but you can't wake up your body and are paralysed. it's hard to try and explain it to my husband or mum, they just think I'm mad. My dreams are normally really scary and have something to do with the devil (freaky I know!) he is either pulling me out of bed by my ankles of breathing in my ear. When I get them I normally lay there thinking if I move my hand then I'll wake up, they really seem real at first until I can actually wake myself up. I hate getting them. I haven't yet worked out why I get them, cant pinpoint it on a certain reason like if I'm stressed or what I've eaten before I went to bed etc. I watched a programme on it once was nice to know I wasn't the only one having it!

XxxX

-

Yes I've researched this in the past (I often get it and it's terrifying) and it's called night terrors.
I have full on hallucinations of giant spiders in the room with me, running across the floor or across the ceiling and walls trying to get into bed with me.
Sometimes my husband has woke up in the night to find me say up right in bed just staring at the wall, mumbling to myself and whimpering! I have no recollection of these times at all. Apparently these things happen after your body has left REM and goes into another state, state 4 I think which is meant to be your deep sleep time. And your body isn't paralysed like it should be in REM.

yes! I get these quite often it's sleep paralysis where you often get terryifying hallucinatios. It's like your minds awake and can see what's going on but you can't wake up your body and are paralysed. it's hard to try and explain it to my husband or mum, they just think I'm mad. My dreams are normally really scary and have something to do with the devil (freaky I know!) he is either pulling me out of bed by my ankles of breathing in my ear. When I get them I normally lay there thinking if I move my hand then I'll wake up, they really seem real at first until I can actually wake myself up. I hate getting them. I haven't yet worked out why I get them, cant pinpoint it on a certain reason like if I'm stressed or what I've eaten before I went to bed etc. I watched a programme on it once was nice to know I wasn't the only one having it!

XxxX

-
I've heard of this too where you are paralysed. This will be even more terrifying. My friend said her dad got it where he'd wake in the night, unable to move, and see a witchy hidious old lady slowly walk across the room, climb on his chest and start to strangle him.
For this reason I've never slept on my back since in case this happens to me!

I've heard of this too where you are paralysed. This will be even more terrifying. My friend said her dad got it where he'd wake in the night, unable to move, and see a witchy hidious old lady slowly walk across the room, climb on his chest and start to strangle him.
For this reason I've never slept on my back since in case this happens to me!

That's what I saw on the tv programme, a lady used to have the same dream a witchy old hag would walk across the room to her! Scary! I sleep on my front though and still get them, I get so scared sometimes that I have to sleep with the light on. Xx

Mine is mainly spiders aswell! Ive full on punched my OH in the gut before now because there was a massive spider on the bed that id 'trapped' in the duvet on top of him haha i cant really pinpoint it either, ive always been a sleep talker, sleep walked abit in my early teens but these hallucinations only really started on a regular basis when left home 4 years ago! I suppose i could put it down to stress but ive nothing to stress compared to times in the past where ive had the world on my shoulders and not a bad dream in sight! Never have been normal me haha xx

Mine is mainly spiders aswell! Ive full on punched my OH in the gut before now because there was a massive spider on the bed that id 'trapped' in the duvet on top of him haha i cant really pinpoint it either, ive always been a sleep talker, sleep walked abit in my early teens but these hallucinations only really started on a regular basis when left home 4 years ago! I suppose i could put it down to stress but ive nothing to stress compared to times in the past where ive had the world on my shoulders and not a bad dream in sight! Never have been normal me haha xx

I was reading about it and apparently the most common hallucinations are spiders and people for some reason, even of those people not scared of spiders! My Brother in Laws both have night terrors where they see people in the room with them, one of them gets it really bad and woke up one night screaming and running around the house shouting 'The terrorists are coming! The terrorists are coming!' and once did his paper round when he was younger at 0200 and woke up outside someones house! Lol.

I've not seen people yet, just spiders and once I saw a giant centipede crawling over my sheets, this was when I was in the Navy and jumped out my bunk screaming and throwing my duvet in the floor! It was pretty embarrassing! Lol.

I've had this before too, where i can feel someone sitting on my chest but I'm too scared too open my eyes and terrible nightmares where I'm paralysed and have to force myself to move my fingers so I can wake up.. Last nite I had horrible dreams and couldn't get out of them, everytime I closed my eyes I was back in it again. I ended up putting the tv on til it was time to get up xx

I really feel for those that have these problems. I can't know what that feels like but I can say that I know what it's like to be frightened of sleeping. I suffer with terrible anxiety and often wake up having a panic attack, where it feels like I'm dying :sad:

I also have racing thoughts when I'm trying to fall sleep: people talking/whispering/shouting, a slideshow in my head of these horriffic images, hot and cold sweats... It's all I can do not to cry. I thought I was going mental but it is all part of my depression/anxiety. Sleeping pills make it worse... And I hate the dark.

Best of luck everyone, I hope it doesn't upset you too much. :hug: xxx

This sounds totally terrifying! I'd hate to have sleep like any of this!!

The worst I get is the falling feeling just as I start to drift off, my fiance gets it really bad whenever I've fallen asleep resting my head on his chest, the last time it happened he punched me in the face but didn't realise he did it, I startled awake as you would if you got punched in the face and hit him back, he woke up all grumpy asking why I'd hit him and I said it was payback but he had no clue he had punched me and started crying cause he hit me, bless him!

I get weird de ja vous dreams where I can actually see things that are gunna happen in the future, nothing too futury, usually just clips of standing somewhere or talking to someone, I did once see the winning lottery numbers for a £50 million jackpot but thought nothing of it which totally SUCKS!!! Figured out they were the lottery numbers when I was watching the tv and almost started crying! Lol ah well!

I know this isn't something like witchy people climbing on my chest and I really hope the people in white coats don't cart me off for saying this!

Leanne
X

I've had this since I've been a kid.

I even woke up in the night before Xmas & took a bite out my husbands arm :eek:

Scary!! because id never ever do that whilst I was awake!

I sleep with the window open now as fresh air seems to help! & I don't eat or drink before bed as my doctor advised. Still happens occasionally though! but I'm not entirely sure how to cure it. x

I've had this before too, where i can feel someone sitting on my chest but I'm too scared too open my eyes and terrible nightmares where I'm paralysed and have to force myself to move my fingers so I can wake up.. Last nite I had horrible dreams and couldn't get out of them, everytime I closed my eyes I was back in it again. I ended up putting the tv on til it was time to get up xx

ohhh pink fairy I've had the sitting on my chest. So glad I'm not alone. Thought it was me going bonkers xxx

Oh dear- I think we're all insane!
Seriously though it is definitely linked to anxiety disorders, I also get that horror movie slideshow infront of my eyes when in trying to sleep- used to always be Chucky from Childsplay and the clown from It. I have to concentrate really hard on something pleasant, usually my kids faces to make it pass.
Just off to tighten my straight jacket now! ;) xx

The spiders is something that happens with me too. lost count of how many times I've darted out of bed because I've an unwelcome tarantula in with me lol x

Oh dear- I think we're all insane!
Seriously though it is definitely linked to anxiety disorders, I also get that horror movie slideshow infront of my eyes when in trying to sleep- used to always be Chucky from Childsplay and the clown from It. I have to concentrate really hard on something pleasant, usually my kids faces to make it pass.
Just off to tighten my straight jacket now! ;) xx
I used to get that ALL the time, not for the past 5 years, now I just get random spider attacks! Lol.

Ah i'm so glad i'm not the only one....not that i wish bad sleep on anyone!

Last summer my b.f woke up to find me taking swipes at the air....i'm a big sleep talker so he asked me what was wrong. I told him a giant grasshopper was on a string from the ceiling. Not sure what freaks me out more...the fact I dream about this stuff or the fact he can actually get a conversation out of me in my sleep!

The other month I woke up and had been up and dragged my old childhood teddy out of the wardrobe and had it in bed with me. I often wake up covered in bruises so from this I'm guessing I still sleepwalk! I did years ago and sometimes woke up in strange places but hadn't for years.

The sleep talking is regular. My b.f says he's going to record me. Apparently i'm funnier asleep than awake! 😉

I just get the hypnogogic hallucinations, but always spiders. I see them, realise it's not real and try and open my eyes wide and then watch them fade away before my eyes. I still jump and feel it's real at first though! They seem to happen when I am stressed.

Id definatley link sleep walking to stress, it only started for me during my parents divorce, the weird places i used to wake up in make me laugh now! Staring at myself in the bathroom mirror, staring in the hamsters cage, even woke up under my bed once, which was even more bizzare as id had a load of boxes stored under there that id pulled out in my sleep :s the spiders are horrible though, i have to shine my phone around the room to convince myself there not there! Even had a staffordshire bull terrier sat staring at me 1st time i woke last nite, after approaching it and staring it in the face it turned out to be a coat that fell off a hanger! Will have to dig that straight jacket out the back of the wardrobe tomorrow....

I tend to get it the worst around my MIL's house.
The worst was when I was staying around on my own with my baby boy in the travel cot next to me. I had the spider hallucination but, as always, I think it's real and was screaming at the top of my lungs. My poor baby boy woke up crying, terrified. I felt so guilty.

Stupid dreams, I wish I didn't react so bad as I KNOW they are hallucinations but they seem so real and I am TERRIFIED of spiders.

I once had a real one, a massive black one in my kitchen, and it took me half and hour, and two shots of Jagermeister, to pluck up the courage to get close enough to kill it!

My husband was away (he's in the Navy) so I had to deal with it on my own! *cry*

Latest posts

Back