No regrowth showing - this is why...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcollins

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

When you go and have your nails rebalanced, infilled etc., has any heard of technicians taking off the regrowth at the back of the tips when they start to show?

A friend of mine in England said the technician uses a drill anyway, but these drills have different attatchments you can change. They ran the drill under the nail tip, taking off the regrowth.

Has anyone heard of this, or does anyone do it and is it ok for the natural nail? ummm.. be interested in your comments please.

Thanks

Lynn :cool:

yeah, i've come across it. they do it at the nss near me. not sure if it is healthy or harmful though.

Same here. They do it at all the NSS round here too. It leaves no, or papr thin natural nail underneath the enhancement.

As Angel Fingers, don't know if this is detramental to the health of the natural nail.

Perhaps someone can enlighten us?

Thanks

I think this is done to prevent dealing with the free edge curling/seperating from the enhancement. Which can be avoided by having the client use Solar Oil (or other) regularly, and taking down the length a little at every appointment. I'm curious to hear more about this.

Yep, the salon I work at always do this when a client comes in for a rebalanace and their natural nails has grown quite a bit...they use a drill with a thin bit....I htink it's a carbide bit....don't know if that helps!!!

Went to an LCN training course recently and this came up for discussion. The trainer said it was fine to do as long as you were careful, particularly when dealing with people with high hyponichiums (not sure of the spelling:o ) so that you don't risk injuring them and causing infections. Great for peeps who hate it when their free edge shows underneath and want a new set as a result, as no need to replace set.

I've been experimenting with my own P&W's and ofcourse, my natural nails are showing underneath. I don't understand why the tech would want to bevel the natural nail if it's secured and the client follows proper protocol (OIL, OIL, OIL!!!). I think it should be left up to the client whether or not the natural nail stays intact. However, I did read in a back issue of NailPro that it is perfectly fine to file the free edge off with an efile. Also, if one is making a new smile line, whether handfiling the entire nail or trenching a new line, the bulk of the nail will be taken care of from the top of the nail, not the bottom.

As i personally do mainly Pink and Whites and occasionally coloured tips, i would say you never have to worry about the tip growing as you always cover with the white or coloured tip.

I personally wouldn't file away the tip underneath as i really don't think you would know untill its too late if you are damaging the natural nail and the Hyponechium. Some peoples Hyponechium,( not sure of spelling) grows quite away down so it would be damaged by doing this. IMO you would disguise the growth with your white. Safest bet.

well i cant give a professional answer ... but from a personal view i always have to file down my own free edge as they grow underneath ... i have always been a picker and in the past have ended up losing the whole enhancement as a result of picking at the free edge of my natural nail ... and that is far worse for my nails than filing them down so now if they start to free themselves from the nail tip then off they come and hey presto no more picking from me and i am left with my beautiful enhancements intact:) Just my opinion of course lol

Jo xx

One of the primary causes of onycholysis is this practice of drilling under the free edge.

If proprer maintenance is carried out, there is absolutely no need to do it.

Thanks for the clarification Gigi

Thanks for a professional answer Geeg.

thanks geeg, I've never done it as I would be far too worried about causing probs...now i know not to even consider it :)

geeg said:
One of the primary causes of onycholysis is this practice of drilling under the free edge.

If proprer maintenance is carried out, there is absolutely no need to do it.

Hi All,

Thanks all for your answers, I quess Gigi has clarified for all of us. I will let my friend know what she should look out for, as she insists this is what she wants!! It was not the fact that they were infilled incorrectly or the natural nail was coming away from the tips. I think it was a matter of not wanting her own nails to show underneath.

Thanks to everyone

Lynn

My Nail tech used to do this to me (before i was trained) as i knew very little about nails at the time I let her do it. I always had sore fingers for days after, I had the worse case of nail separation when they were removed, My poor mums were worse than mine. It was not a nss salon either. It took me ages to convince my mum to let me put a set on her when i was training.
She could not believe that it was a pain free experience. So I would say don't do it
Caren :)

When i do a full set i ususally pass my drill at a slow rotation to get rid of those peelies, but i do not file the natural nail, or even get close to the hyponechium (or whatever is speeled right). I sometimes use it to clean under my own nails, but also not filing my natural nail.

Latest posts

Back