No soak pedicures-opinions/ideas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susandoeshair

Reaction score
Good morning
I'm thinking about getting rid of the pedicure Shari at the salon and going with steamed towels for my pedicures. The dang chair is such a hassle, the whirlpool jets break down, the cleaning and worry about not getting it clean enough is just starting to get tiresome.
So, I'm thinking if I use a hot towel cabinet, some nice scrubs and maybe a masque, people might not miss the chair.

What do you all think?

I think it's a brilliant idea! Some people will not sit right with the idea as old habits die hard. But if I was having a pedicure I think I would be much more lovely to have warm flannels wiping my feet than to be stuck in bowl that god knows who's feet have been in.
I may nick this idea if it's ok with you? Xx

Oh, please do! I'm not think of changing the world, but one less thing to worry about at the salon would be nice. Our owner hates the upkeep on the chair, and it seems that im the only one who really cares about just how clean it is. I figure I'll break about even buying the nice towels and hot cabinet, compared to all the cleaning supplies I buy.

I'm looking at renting a room soon, so I wouldn't have the option to have a pedi chair as well so your idea is PERFECT for me! I absolutely love it! Thank you, you've saved me a lot of stressing!

I've been considering a towel steamer for mobile work. It would mean I didn't have to fill a large tub of water in someone else's kitchen that's normally getting cold by the time it gets used. It would also mean that I could do pedicures on my couch so I wouldn't be crouched on the floor!

Would you do a dry foot file to remove hard skin and then use the hot towels?

Many thanks for starting this thread :)

I have to confess I do like a good soak during a pedicure. I think there would be a few miffed clients out there. However, I would be interested in having a treatment without it to compare :)

Do you think towels would wipe off all of scrub/mask?

Hi there, I use hot towels for pedi's they work fantastically! They will clean off all scrubs/masks etc and my clients love it! They can be wrapped round the feet perfectly and clients old and new say how lovely it feels. Only downside, a lot of washing at the end of the day lol. Much cheaper than pedicure chairs obviously and no technical maintenance needed. Try it, be confident that your clients will enjoy it and I'm sure you'll have no problems. Good luck x

Mmmm may have to look into that. Thanks for the idea.

I remember looking at waterless pedis when I first started and the hot towel idea seems like a good one.

I did also see this product that turned the water into jelly :surprised: then when you wanted to wash it away, you poured some salts or something into the bowl and it turned into water again! It absolutely AMAZED me (simple things please simple minds and all that) ;)

I'm tempted again, I reckon I'd get clients just because they wanted to try it out! They do different 'flavours' too, ooooooh!

xxx

Attachments

• calming milk.jpg
    calming milk.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 232
  • herb mint.jpg
    herb mint.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 168
  • lavender.jpg
    lavender.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 260
  • lemongrass.jpg
    lemongrass.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 129
  • strawberry.jpg
    strawberry.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
I still soak during a pedicure but use the footsie (have to say I'm not all that enamoured by it due to a problem with the first set of liners all leaking - giving it a second chance now!).

I used to remove scrubs and masks with hot towels but the amount of washing was crazy. I've just started cutting disposable towels into 8 so they're about flannel size and use these in my towel heater instead. Much less washing and the disposable towels are thinner so not producing masses of waste.

How do you prepare these hot towels then if your mobile? Do you need a towel Heater? R the towels dry or damp? I havent a clue sorry lol also would it soften skin and nails to make easier the refine/clip?

I do a hot towel pedi (but also have a Belava tub for those who aren't open to it) they are lovely.
I start with a medium stainless steel bowl with soapy water and give the feet a quick little wash by scooping some in my hand and rubbing onto the foot, scooping some more and up the leg.
Wrap the feet in a hot towel with toes poking out so I can do cuticles and filing work.
Pedi paddle - the skin is softened from being wrapped in the towel and reduces the dust from the feet.
Exfoliate and remove with hot towel. Trick to get them to melt in your hands is to wrap the towel around their feet and apply slight pressure and pause repeating working your way up or down (so from leg working down to foot or foot working way up leg). This not only softens the exfoliant or mask you are about to remove but gives the client that moment to take a breath and enjoy the toasty feeling of the hot towel - lost count of how many say "that feels so good" at this point, but if you don't pause and apply pressure you don't seem to get that reaction.
Mask and remove with hot towel as above.
Massage etc etc

I actually use cloth nappies for my hot towel manis and pedis (they were bought brand new for the purpose - never used as an actual nappy) as they are larger than hand towels and wrap around nicely, they are cheap, can handle a good bleaching, and are easy to tell apart from my facial and body treatment towels.

How do you prepare these hot towels then if your mobile? Do you need a towel Heater? R the towels dry or damp? I havent a clue sorry lol also would it soften skin and nails to make easier the refine/clip?

Over here many girls use rice cookers, they are small and easy to cart around with you. You wet the towels with hot water when you set up and pop them in the rice cooker to keep them warm and toasty.

Do you think towels would wipe off all of scrub/mask?
They certainly do, wipe off using only one side of the towel first and then flip over and get anything that has been missed. If you wrap the hot towel on first and apply pressure you will soften the scrub/mask and make removal easier. I actually use the hot towels to remove scrubs and masks for both soaking pedis and hot towel pedis. Clients just love them.

I'm not trained in pedi but giving my opinion as a client the towels compared to soak sound absolutely lovely!!! X

Thanks everyone for your comments. It give me info to use when I talk to the salon owner. I'm betting she'd LOVE for me to find a reason for her to get rid of that chair 🙋

Well, I pitched the idea to my owner today, even had prices and pictures. She wasn't too keen on the idea at all. She the type that its great if its her idea, not so much if its someone else's.
thank to all for the input, though!

Latest posts

Back