Not doing gels at first - will I loose a lot of business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsR

Reaction score
I am doing the CND L&P Foundation course and I can't help but wonder and worry that because I am not doing the Gels part as well due to lack of finances at the moment will I be risking loosing a lot of potential clients?

I am doing the CND L&P Foundation course and I can't help but wonder and worry that because I am not doing the Gels part as well due to lack of finances at the moment will I be risking loosing a lot of potential clients?

whats the rush hunni? why not try to get some salon experience before going alone? or practice like mad on your training hand until you've got your confidence?

some geeks only do one or the other, not everyone offers both, so you've no need to worry about that xxx:hug:

whats the rush hunni? why not try to get some salon experience before going alone? or practice like mad on your training hand until you've got your confidence?

some geeks only do one or the other, not everyone offers both, so you've no need to worry about that xxx:hug:

I'll be practicing like mad on friends and work collegues at a discounted rate at first when I finish the course but I just wondered about tge gel side - worried people would be asking for gels and I'd be embarressed as I only did the other!

When I first trained, I only did Acrylic. I then opened a small salon and yes, quite a lot of people came and asked for Gels but I managed to talk them round to trying Acrylic. I found that a lot of people had been to techs and had acrylics before, but they had been left really thick at the end and that was why they preffered gel.

I then did enough people to pay for my acrylic training and also my gel training. I am now able to offer both in my salon, but I never felt the financial pressure.

Hope this helps you make your decision.

xx

Thanks, will have to maybe convince them then if they request gels.

Well my experience is slightly different. Clients usually asked for liquid and powder and in fact it is still the most asked for service.

Clients have what you DO. The majority of clients do not come in and ask for a particular service. Some few may but most do not. They will have and be happy with what you offer them.

Thanks, I guess if you advertise acrylics they wont expect gel.

I only do L&P.

Not one person has ever asked if i do Gel...

x

Last edited by a moderator:
I only do L&P.

Not one person has ever asked if i do Gel...

x

I have had loads of people come in a just ask for Gels. They have had Gels at salons further away to their home than where I am, mainly at a Salon called Mint in Meadowhall, Sheffield. They offer Gels and so lots of people from the village I have my salon were going there, however, it is a good 15-20 min drive away. When I opened, I had a lot of their clients asking me for Gel.

I think it is obvious from the posts on here that everyone has different experiences, so see what the demand for gel is like in your area.

I wouldn't worry about just offering one system, I only offer l&p and thats all I have offered since I started working from my home based salon last year, not one of my clients has asked for gel instead, I will be offering it, but until then I don't even mention that there may be a different option.
Sam x

I guess I should just wait and see what happens as there is no real way of knowing is there.

As alot of posts have stated,i would just reiterate that there is no rush,and take your time....As a nail artisan you will come to love what system you promote,or indeed you may become so proficient in one particular system,and then choose to excel in another sytem,be it gel or fibreglass:)

Yes,some clients may ask for acrylic as opposed to gel,but it is down to you as a professional to explain the system you use,and to educate the client.
Others may just want nails,irrelevant of the system.....but ultimately it is waht you love doing that will come across to the client.

I am an avid fan of gel,and always have been....i am instantly drawn to a pot of gel,and want to use it,compared to acrylic.....but that is not to say i have not given up on acrlic....but then that is down to confidence....

Just do not be impatient.....and take each step along the route to what your goals are:hug:

I love Liquid and Powder and I too can't remember many people who ask for a specific system. In fact I can't remember even 1 person. Don't worry about it, concentrate on what you are doing now and put all your energy into finishing your L&P training, then look at training in gel if you still feel the need to.

Good Luck x

I guess it can come down to wording too...

Gel is acrylic based....!!!! :wink2:

To be honest a good saleswoman will always get the client to come round to their way of thinking....:lol:

I had someone say they couldn't wear acrylic only gel...after my little speech enlightening them they went for the L&P....

Thanks for your helpful feedback ladies x

I don't do L&P and only offer UV Gel.

Until YESTERDAY, I had never been asked if I also offered Acrylic..
Mind you..........
Her first question was " how much",
I answered her and told her what was included.
She then asked if I do L&P. I answered no, and that I use REAL gel, unlike the NSS, and there is absolutely no powder or odor.
She said she'd call back:rolleyes:

The problem in my town is this: All the NSS have two sets of pricing. With UV Gel being 10$ more BUT it's NOT gel. It's L&P in a pot marked gel:grr:
So, my guess is she figured I'd offer L&P at less.

In any case, I've been doing UV Gel for ummm 3yrs now? And it's the first time I've been asked about L&P.
I do intend to take my L&P course.
BUT gel will be my mainstay.
The L&P will just be for the odd bird who just doesnt do well with gel, and for the 3d art and other art that just can't be done with gel.
Also, the more I know, the better I'll be. Right?

hth's

Latest posts

Back