Not getting in the car with strangers!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molly B

Reaction score
Evening all!

I'm just back from visiting a friend. She lives in the next town so I had to wait on a bus. It's raining a lot here so was standing in the dark and rain. I don't mind because I've never drove so I'm used to walking and bussing it everywhere!

Two men stopped in a car and asked where I was going. I was reluctant to answer but they were shouting so I said where. They told me to get in but I said no I didn't mind waiting on the bus so they shouted at me that I was stupid and drove off!!

A similar situation I was running to the train station 2 weeks ago when a man stopped and asked if I wanted a lift, I said no thanks politely that I was getting exercise.

The phrase my mam told me when I was a child still sticks with me not to get in cars with strangers!!
I'm sure these people are just being helpful and take it as an insult that I think they are dangerous when I don't accept lifts!

My friend from work missed her bus one week and a man offered her a lift and she took it and he genuinely was doing a good deed but its hard to know don't you think?!xxx

I completely agree with you !
Id never get in a car with someone I didn't know male or female I know we shouldn't assume that everyone is a bad person but you never know these days !
I take a long time to trust people so I'd never trust someone I don't know let Alone get in a car with them Xxx

We tell kids all of the time not to go with strangers, so it shouldn't be any different for us adults too as you never know.

If someone offered me a lift I'd probably feel bad for saying no but I'd definitely be too scared to accept. If they called me stupid, then I wouldn't feel bad at all lol x

Ive done it several times in my younger rebel days, Ive even asked strangers for a lift :( stupid!!!

Only once was I on my own a guy looking for directions in day light, me being 16 & waiting for a bus in that direction said id show him if I could have a lift! My mum would have gone ape s***!

Another couple of times being drunk & not wanting to wait for a taxi or a bus.

Thankfully (& luckily) all the random men have been genuine guys, ok they've maybe asked for mine or a friends number but thats all & dropped us where we asked.

Obviously looking back I dread to think what danger we could have put ourselves in.

Xx

It's the same as going home with a guy at the end of the night when you're half cut..or hammered.... and I'm sure half of us at some point in our lives have done this. Probably made easier by the alcohol and lack of thought process!

I'm not that keen on taxi's even, especially in the middle of the night and not quite with it! who knows if half of them are genuine these days.

I was coming home Very late from work, -30 in January, and older lady was hopping from one foot to the next at the bus stop. I was 2 blocks away from home I pulled over and offered a. A ride home or b. For her to sit in my car while we wait for the bus. She was very relieved, I never had a chance to ask why she was at the stop so late because a few minutes later I had seen her bus driving into the stop behind me. She thanked me for saving her from frostbite and got out, got on the bus.
No , I wouldn't get in with a stranger, I don't know why I stopped, but it Was so cold!!

Cleen Cheeks Spa

Bit of a coincidence, this thread. I passed a woman walking up a long steep hill yesterday, and on my way back she was about 2 miles further on. The nearest houses were about 2 miles further on, and she was looking pretty tired, not dressed in exercise gear.

I really wanted to stop but I didn't, and I regret it. 20 years ago I wouldn't have thought twice, and also accepted lifts myself.

Years ago my old car was giving off lots of fumes so I drove into a lay by on the road. Two young guys stopped and offered to help. They pushed the car right out of the way and gave me a lift to my sister's house. I said without thinking that I really should not get into their car but they said don't worry. They got me there safe and sound I I felt really bad for thinking that way. Later my sister's husband said the car had carbon monoxide fumes and that I was wise to get out. Sometimes in all our worry and conditioning we forget that most people are good and just want to help.

It is a difficult one. I suppose most men would be afraid to stop to help a female in case they were accused of something. That's the world we live in now. If it were late at night and I heard a car slowing down, I would probably take a heart attack and they could call an ambulance!

I have taken a lift home from nights out before but I wouldn't take a lift from a stranger now byes, they are probably genuine but who knows? Same goes for taxis. Not keen on using them alone.

About 10 years ago (I feel old saying that! Lol) me and my friend were stopped by a man in a car asking for directions. He seemed like a really nice man and we stupidly said we will show him, we got in the car with him (so stupid!) he drove us to his home and then started stroking my legs (I was in the front seat) immediately me and my friend got out the car and got away. When I think about it now I think how stupid that was! You just dont realise what could happen! X

I've always been very wary of people and have always been aware of keeping myself safe but when I think about it, I've been in jobs before as a temp or only worked there for a short time and I've given lifts to people who really I don't know.. Sometimes you feel safer when it's your car, offering someone else but let's face it, what's stopping them from attacking us or worse!?

Would you feel the same way getting in to a womans car?.

About 6 years ago I was visiting the cemetary after swimming. I was with a male friend and all of a sudden the heavens opened, it was bucketing down and within minutes we were soaked through.
We were walking down to the gate of the cemetary with a large towel over our heads trying to shelter us a little.
A lady pulled up beside us and asked if we lived local she'd give us a lift home.
I was absolutely sh**ing myself but we got in the back and she dropped us to our door. It was only a 5 min drive but my heart was in my mouth the whole time. When I got back my mum & nan gave me a right bol***king :o

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm becoming more and more distrusting and cynical with every yew tree arrest.
Rolf Harris now..I can barely believe it!i read it but I can't take it in.Sickens and saddens me deeply.

I wont even get on a bus on my own anymore. After a man attempted to touch me up on a 50minute bus journey, it was packed and nobody noticed him stroking my thighs and squashing up to me ever closer. He followed me to my flat once i got off too. Luckily my fella was there n threatened to plant him. Im glad i drive, with the doors locked after another man tried to get in my car in broad daylight while I was waiting at a junction! u will never see me offering or accepting lifts from strangers or getting on public transport alone. Sad really but Im just too frightened. I was stalked by a wierdo last year for 9 months too. I swear I attract them :( some people are crazy and Im so wary now I dont know how I leave the house these days!

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

I would never get in a car with anyone I don't know.
No matter what the circumstances.
I was stalked when I was 17, it went on for months. It was terrifying. He used to call my work and speak in a funny voice, he had a thing for travel agents. He also used to come in to the shop but we never knew who he was. We only knew because he would repeat conversations we had. He followed me on my days off as well, even repeated a convo I had with my boyfriend whilst out Xmas shopping. I had police following me on the metro before and after work etc. they still haven't caught him. He left me alone after a while but still to this day I get freaked at hang up calls etc.
I've been extra vigilant ever since then.
As they say better safe than sorry.
The self defence, weight training etc I started back then lead me in to being a qualified bouncer and bodyguard :) x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Me neither, I wouldn't get in anyones car I didn't know. Nor would I offer a lift. :sad:Sad but thats the way it is these days.

Not worth the risk. Shame really as 95% of the time all is well...

I have always thought if stopping and offering lifts to people who look in need. But I'm always worried about picking up strangers!

I usually have my kids in the car and worry about if I was putting them in harms way, and what message and I giving my children when doing it.

It's a shame when we live in a world when we can't help and accept help. But it is completely understandable really.

Jemima :)

I wont even get on a bus on my own anymore. After a man attempted to touch me up on a 50minute bus journey, it was packed and nobody noticed him stroking my thighs and squashing up to me ever closer. He followed me to my flat once i got off too. Luckily my fella was there n threatened to plant him. Im glad i drive, with the doors locked after another man tried to get in my car in broad daylight while I was waiting at a junction! u will never see me offering or accepting lifts from strangers or getting on public transport alone. Sad really but Im just too frightened. I was stalked by a wierdo last year for 9 months too. I swear I attract them :( some people are crazy and Im so wary now I dont know how I leave the house these days!

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

I drive with the doors locked aswell as we had a man jump in over me on the passenger seat (my husband was in the drivers seat) and tried to start driving the car. He was kicking me in the face. A bouncer came over, dragged him out and pinned him up against the wall by his neck, he was a drunken idiot! X

I always drive with my doors locked aswel, and I remember my mum telling me that when she was younger...she had her handbag on the passenger seat and whilst she was stopped at traffic lights some bloke opened the door, grabbed the bag and ran. So now I always put my bag in the footwell.

Latest posts

Back