Not sure how to deal with this !!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lissa

Reaction score
Hi girls,

Im a bit upset and not sure what to think, i have been doing a ladies nails for 8 months she always loves them never had a problem , till now,

Last time i did her nails i noticed her cuticles looked a little sore and the skin was split on a few of them, (she is a hairdresser so could be that). Anyway she went to the docs and when she was there showed her the offending cuticles.
The doc said she's had a reaction to the acrylic and that now it has grown away from the skin it will get better advised her to take the nails off and not to have them !!!

My feeling is that she may be sensitive to a new primer i got as the l&p never touches the skin,
i have advised her to let the skin heal then take the nails off and mabe try gel in case it is the acrylic what do you think did i give the right advice ?xx

Does she have any other symptoms than just sore and split cuticles? How long after you applied the nails, those symptoms appeared?
From what I read, I think it's yet to be determined whether that is an allergy, or just dry skin, picking cuticles, etc. Also, her being a hairdresser, there is a possibility that she is reacting (and not necessarily allergic) to something she uses while working, and not your products. So there is a huge array of possibilities...

Maybe other techs will disagree, or/and put some more light and wisdom to this, but as I experienced it both on my clients and myself, allergy always resulted with itchyness, redness and/or bumps, swellings, etc. and yelling "Take this thing of off me, NOW, or I'll go crazy".

Also, if the skin heals with the nails on, I'm thinking, then it's not the nails she's reacting to?

OK, I have given more questions than answers, I know :eek: so this may not be as helpfull... so let's hear what others will say.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I don't see how the doctor could narrow it down to the acrylic, especially with the job she does. You say that you think it might be the primer as the L&P doesn't touch the skin, but neither should the primer so it shouldn't be that.

The fact is that it could be anything and the best way would be by process of elimination. Take her nails off and see how she goes. If the cuticles heal well then you can say it was the L&P if not then she can have her nails back again. :green:

I agree that I don't think this is necessarily an l&p sensitivity for the same reasons, that she is a hairdresser and working with other chemicals in her job. I also agree that skin splitting around the base of her nails sounds more to me like dry skin lacking in moisture. Hairdressers have their hands in water and chemicals often. My experience of skin sensitivity to nail gel and l&p is itching, burning, blistering and then flaking and peeling skin.

Is she moisturizing enough daily and using treatment oil. She may say she is, but I wonder.

May I add that whilst I don't immediately think this is a nail product senitivity, gel and l&p product do not necessarily have to directly touch the skin for there to be a sensitive reaction. Close proximity of the product to the skin can be enough to set off a reaction. Also remember that this is more likely with l&p, simply because it takes far longer to cure.

Thanks ladie im alsways really carful not to let any product get on the skin i have never had a problem before , was just a little worried as i have have done her nails for a while now x

I wouldn't worry my darling, even if it is the L&P we can all just suddenly develop an allergy to things we have been fine with. Just let her have a rest for a few weeks and see if this clears up. She will probably realise that she is either using something different at work or doing something differently. :green:

Hi girls,

Im a bit upset and not sure what to think, i have been doing a ladies nails for 8 months she always loves them never had a problem , till now,

Last time i did her nails i noticed her cuticles looked a little sore and the skin was split on a few of them, (she is a hairdresser so could be that). Anyway she went to the docs and when she was there showed her the offending cuticles.
The doc said she's had a reaction to the acrylic and that now it has grown away from the skin it will get better advised her to take the nails off and not to have them !!!

My feeling is that she may be sensitive to a new primer i got as the l&p never touches the skin,
i have advised her to let the skin heal then take the nails off and mabe try gel in case it is the acrylic what do you think did i give the right advice ?xx

We had a lady..she used to spend a fortune on her nails,only the best..loads of nail art+diamantes..then all of a sudden her skin on her fingers flared up..she'd been having the same nails on for years!
She went to the doctors,he blamed her nails,she didn't believe him neither did we,but eventually we all decided maybes it would be best if we took them off+see if they got any better...they did! We were all gutted!!!
so now she can't wear nails anymore+even nail varnish sets it off now... it can suddenly happen for no apparent reason.
My advice would be to take them off+see if her cuticles get better

Last edited by a moderator:
omg she'll be gutted if this is the case she hates not hasving nails on even for the time im preping for a new set !!! lets hope it's not the nails xx

omg she'll be gutted if this is the case she hates not hasving nails on even for the time im preping for a new set !!! lets hope it's not the nails xx

Our customer was the same.. She was gutted+so were we!!!! So now,we just sell her extra expensive products for her hair!!! Lol

Do you work with your acrylic beads quite wet?
Sometimes product doesn't touch the skin but monomer can run under the cuticle and irritate the skin?
My cousin had this after her sister did her nails, it took around 9 months to develop and if she wears acrylic now it comes back, also other chemicals irritate them!
Let's hope it's not but maybe try a gel polish or something just to rule it out...hope this helps and it's not the nails xx

Latest posts

Back