Not sure if I got good hot stone training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekgirl

Reaction score
So I took a full esthetics course and I have been reading on here about hot stones and it sounds like you should have a massage background to do it. I only know the relaxation massages for mani, pedi, facials and back and I have just been incorporating the stones in place of my hands. Is this correct?

Also does anyone have any good videos or something on doing hot stone?

I personally would have thought that you would not be covered by your insurance if you have not completed an accredited stone massage course. In my opinion you should hold a full massage qualification as this is usually supported with full anatomy and physiology, so that you can fully understand the effect of massage on all the bodies systems. When you then introduce heat the effects can be amplified so IMO although it doesn't hurt to 'Play' with the stones i would n't recommend practising on clients unless you have completed the relevant training.
For research only purposes a quite liked helen mcguiness dvd hot stone 2 but this will by no means be a substitute for proper training. hth

looks like you are here in BC. If you are at a Spa they cover you insurance wise I believe. Ask them, especially if you are doing something you are unsure of. As we in Canada do relaxation massage, not medical massage ,in esthetics, often you will find Spas that provide hot rock treatments. I do long hour and a half ones. We have different regulation here. Spa therapists , not registered massage therapists do them all the time and so do we.
I was not taught in school but by a fellow Estie where I work. I do a lot of regular relaxation massage then use the rocks in place of my hands in some areas. There is a great youtube site called massage nerd you can use. If you are intuitive and good at massage then you should be good at hot rock massage.
Be careful with your hands and with the clients skin. I have a cool towel handy to place the rock in ( with tongs) to make sure it is not too hot. I also test in on my inner arm before I place it on the client. Just ask a lot of questions until you feel confident, make sure you are covered and maybe have a trial run with a friend or co-worker. Good luck!

Thanks gals, no I am not doing any medical massage and don't intend to and I people who are offering it and only have the same background as me. Sounds like you are doing what I am planning to do with the stones. No they don't teach very well here I have heard that about alot of place but my head teachers were from Dubi and London so I guess they don't teach any better over there. I am working from home so I was wondering in your spa if there are doing medical massage or similar to what i want to do. I have a spa that is offering it close to me and they charge $120 for a hot stone facial but I don't think they are doing a medical massage.

No your probably right about the other spa. Not unless they have an RMT but then they are usually in clinics.
Try the massage nerd, he is great or go for one yourself so you can see what they do. I always find having a treatment myself and knowing what feels good helps me. There are lots of DVDS too or you can go to youtube and type in hot stone and see what comes up.
What school did you go to? Im on the island right now but I went to school on the mainland.

I went to school in Calgary at Zeneba, if you look it up they don't have hot stone on there as they change the program everytime they get a new teacher. But that is really helpful what you said about in canada we only do relaxation, how do you know that? It also made me happy to know that you use a cooling bath for your stone too. So if you are doing a 90 min massage you must be doing a whole body. I don't know if I'm going to do that as I feel like people would want something better then what I can offer, so you are doing this at a high end place and you don't have any certificate? Is that right? If so I feel way better!

relaxation massage was part of my esthetics training but where I went to school we also learned a little permanent make-up ( more if you were into it) and piercing, same deal.
We never learned Brazilians/Hollywood ( had to learn on my own with fellow Esties) and the help of some lovely girls that danced at the local strip clubs,lol.
We always stress that our massages are relaxation/non therapeutic and have at all the Spas Ive worked at. Check out the Cosmetology Association site, they may say something about it.
Yes, I work at a high end Spa right now. An Aveda Concept actually. Lots of fun. I know they have an "Aveda" type massage class as well as Chakra related massage but we never have calls for that.
I have become pretty good at it myself and make great tips, have a lot of repeat clients in for my massage so its a great thing to add to your services if you enjoy it. I would do waxing all day if I could instead because I make more in commission due to the time of service vs massage, and tips but if the massage work is there its good too.
Give it a go on a few friends that will give you true feedback. You will know if its not for you or if you have the touch.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back