NSS Again!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
I know there are so many posts on here about NSS and I feel a bit loathed to post this, but it is such a huge problem in the nail industry.

I went out to dinner this week and met up with some old aquaintences. We were all discussing beauty and nails and I mentioned that NSS were a particular problem for the nail industry as a whole. The one dinner guest mentioned that she has her nails done by an asian guy and she thinks he is fab. I asked her if he used a sander on his e -file for reshaping and she said ,"No, it's metal"!:eek: She said he also wears a mask but she needs the enhancements because her nails are weak. She had breast cancer and chemo several years ago.

So I asked her about the condition of her natural nails and she said that she didn't know because the tech only ever infills and never removes the enhancements:rolleyes: . I politely added that I would never file without a sander and that I would be concerned about the condition of her natural nails especially if he uses a metal drill bit.

At this point I sensed she was a little annoyed at my comments so left the subject alone. It is so hard sometimes to share ones knowledge and concerns without offending somebody else.

How forthright are you about this when you find out somebody is going to an NSS? Do others take on board what you say about these salons?

I tell it straight, and urge them to look it up themselves on the internet, searching the terms "NSS" & "MMA" so I don't look like I'm just sour-grapes cause I'm only starting out and not as busy as the NSS in our town.

I've been also thinking on creating a 'chart' that shows WHY a professional and PROPER service takes longer.
Kind of like those charts where you're doing comparison shopping and there's checkmarks in the colums... know what I mean?
And when people see all the blanks for the NSS.....of what they're NOT doing that they should be....
I have found that one of the biggest problems I face is the timing.... people don't want to sit for 1.5hrs PLUS more if they want some art...2hrs tops.

It's hard... if they don't want to learn... well, later on down the road, something will happen and they'll think back to our (your) convo and bang their head against a wall for not listening.

We can only tell them what we know. If they choose not to learn from us, more their loss than our own.

:hug:

From a customer's perspective:

Personally if I'd been to an NSS without knowing anything about nails or nail enhancements, I'd hug you for rescuing my nails.

I think many people feel offended, because they feel foolish for having gone in the first place. They then interpret your criticism as criticising THEM, not just the NSS. I think if you soften things a bit, underline that it's not their fault for going, they didn't know, understandable mistake, (although I do think it is stupid if you don't do ANY research before trying something you know absolutely nothing about), they'll be more receptive.

I find that when I comment alot of people take offence as if I'm saying I don't like their nails, they seem to be very loyal to the NSS salons even though I explain they could be doing their nails some serious damage.

I get the impression that they think I am saying that I am better than them and its a bit of jealousy on my part.

Its a hard one, but when they have a infection or damaged nail beds you can give them that I told you so look.

Shame though as thislady is a friend of yours:hug:

Teri x

Id arm them with the information to make an decision for themselves, i dont see how someone can choose non sanitised weak painful nails over a luxury pampering experience of having your nails done by someone who cares about u not just your wallet.

on another note tho, i wouldnt remove enhancements if there is nothing wrong with them, i just infill/rebalance, how often do u remove and put on a fresh set?

People can be very shortsighted when it come to nss. People honestly do think that its a good thing if there is absolutly no lifting and seem to like the fact not even a bomb would get the damn things off regardless of what damage they are doing to their nails. I always try and say to this: "If you trap your finger would you rather the enhnancement came off your nail or took the nail with it? Its alot easier to ask me to replace a nail for you than wait a year for your natural one to grow back!"
People don't want to be told either, think about taking your car to a garage for repair and being really happy at the work they did and then another mechanic starts saying they wouldn't do things like the first garage did it. The customer / client seems to take this personally like your trying to have a go at them or slating someone elses work on purpose.

Try making some NSS / MMA info sheets to hand out if anyone asks, that way your not getting into an arguement about it and they can take it away to read in their own time. Hopefully they might tell someone else then word will be out about the dangers of these salons.

Maybe next time she returns to the NSS she will notice things she didn't notice before from points you picked up in your conversation- e.g HYGIENE and PAIN so your conversation wasn't wasted. I wouldn't approach the subject again unless she asks you questions but no doubt at some point she will come to you with a related problem and you will be able to sort her out.

Whenever I mention the NSS salons to people who complain about their nails after 'treatment' I point out that I used to use them myself so they can't be blamed for not knowing any better. I explain what I have learnt about the CORRECT methods from my training and therefore where these salons are lacking from my own personal experience. They don't seem to look at me like I'm just bitching for new custom then and do seem to listen to my advice.

I know a girl that used an Nss salon about 45 minutes from where I live, I know where it is, and I know that it is Asian people who run it!
She was so happy with her nails, for the first say 4 weeks.
After this her nails started to go a greenish colour, so she went back and they just re applied some more gel over the top in a more pink colour so you couldnt see the green!
Needless to say within 6-8 weeks she had a full on bacterial infection in all of her nails!
They were a dark green.
Her nails were also pitted and very ridged!!!
She paid £45 a set for these and everytime she went back for maintenance it cost her £30!
I did tell her about these Nss salons but she took no notice!:mad:
Does make me angry!!!

Why do people not try to get their money back/sue/report them! If I had caused this kind of trauma to someone I would expect them to get my insurance details from me and try to get some kind of compensation so why do they just not bother.

Shame though as thislady is a friend of yours:hug:

Teri x
Not really a friend but more of an acquaintance and I didn't want to annoy her by pushing the issue in case it offended the dinner hosts.

She may have possibly reacted that way as she thought you may have been trying to get her business ? look at this way,

My old hair salon used to use bleach on my hair then a friend told me that the salon she went to used an alternative that doesn't damage your hair as much ( or something like that ) anyway i changed salons & have been happy since, but if a hairdresser had said it to me instead, oh they shouldn't be using bleach, I would never do that etc. then i would have immediatley thought that he/she was telling me that to get my business !!
Im quite suspicious so i wouldn't have dreamed that they were trying to help me, i would just think they were after my money.

Just my thoughts :hug:

Luckily i have never even seen an NSS salon or had a client from one, there isn't any that i know of in the area.

She may have possibly reacted that way as she thought you may have been trying to get her business ? look at this way,

My old hair salon used to use bleach on my hair then a friend told me that the salon she went to used an alternative that doesn't damage your hair as much ( or something like that ) anyway i changed salons & have been happy since, but if a hairdresser had said it to me instead, oh they shouldn't be using bleach, I would never do that etc. then i would have immediatley thought that he/she was telling me that to get my business !!
Im quite suspicious so i wouldn't have dreamed that they were trying to help me, i would just think they were after my money.

Just my thoughts :hug:

Luckily i have never even seen an NSS salon or had a client from one, there isn't any that i know of in the area.
:lol: Problem there is that she lives in Chiswick and I live in St. Albans but thanks for the suggestion,lol. xx

My MIL was getting her nails done at a nss salon, but i wasnt aware of this untill i joined this site a few weeks ago, she decided to remove the nails herself using acetone, which she said took HOURS! she also said some of her natural nails are slightly damaged.

I told her that she had been using a nss salon and she was horrified to hear this, and wont be going back to a nss salon ever again, but she turned round and said " but they did have some sort of nail certificate on the wall" :irked:

I think what the problem is, is that people just dont know that they are using nss salons and need to be educated on this, as i didnt even know about them untill i joined this site.

I live in a small town and there are only about 10 shops in it but 2 of them are nss salons, and in the next town in the local shopping area all the nail bars are nss salons! , in my area the only way to get your nails done unless you do reasearch ie looking up mobile techs or go further afield is to go to nss salons, because there are so many of them around:irked:

If this was put on the news and a big deal was made about it people will never realise.
Other business like plumbers, electricicians, carper fitters, mechanics etc would be closed down if they didn't operate correctly. People don't see NSS being closed down so they think there can't be anything really wrong with them or they'd be closed down.

With newspapers picking and choosing the information they publish like the one reciently we're never going to get any where. It will take a proper television programme with beauty professionals, health care professionals, customers with true accounts and things like under cover filming in NSS before people start to sit up and listen. Kind of like a rogue traders sort of thing!

It was in the media over here a couple of weeks ago, however as usual they got their information wrong and were basically targeting all tech saying we dont have correct qualifications and hygine was dreadful, it's was mostly nss but there were attacks on mobile techs too. Saying that tho, it's good that clients stop to think about hygine etc, half the time when im sanitising a new clients hand/nails they look at me funny, thats worrying!

Latest posts

Back