NSS salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5@MB

Reaction score
Hiya Geeks! I've just had a booking with a lady who said she went to the 'Discount Salon' for Gel nails, she said they dipped the brush in liquid then in a powder and was adament it was gel. I said I thought it was acrylics but she said 'no, no, no'!!! Anyway she wants me to infill with Gel, my question is can I do Gel over Acrylic if thats what it is? I don't do Acrylic so not sure. X

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya Geeks! I've just had a booking with a lady who said she went to the 'Discount Salon' for Gel nails, she said they dipped the brush in liquid then in a powder and was adament it was gel. I said I thought it was acrylics but she said 'no, no, no'!!! Anyway she wants me to infill with Gel, my question is can I do Gel over Acrylic if thats what it is? I don't do Acrylic so not sure. X

Yes, the product has cured so its not classed as mixing systems. Just be sure to make her aware there may be a slight colour difference between the 2 products as they are different brands/systems, a good opportunity to upgrade the treatment to include polish/uv colour coat and increase profits :) hth xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea the nss round here say its gel but actually use l&p, as said you can mix them but it will propbably show as slightly different colurs, so I'd recommend a polish over the top

Will it go yellow? I'm not sure she'll believe me but hopefully when I show her the difference between the products she'll see. Thank you for replying. X

I did a client last Thursday, she came for polished toes and shellac nails, she had said she always had gel enhancements, but had grown them out due to the mess from soaking off and the efile, I explained itt was l&p and she was adamant it was gel, at the appointment I showed her hard NSI gel and the light and she realised they'd been lying etc.

Their loss my gain.

Re colour I've never actually done gel over nss l&p, I've always soaked off and redone in gel on the couple I've done, but know from what I have read there will be a slight colour difference.

Just one last question, I'm guessing I'll need to buff first before applying the gel? Xx

If your doing a infill then yes as you old normally, only thing is you may find its thicker than you would normally do and may take a bit of time to buff down, not like say nsi gel would take, so would give yourself a bit extra time :)

Thank you so much! I'm not looking forward to it actually! X

My advise is- never infill other nail techs job! And ones from nss I wouldn't touch in a miles!

Oh gosh really! Would you soak off and start again? I think its going to be a battle just convincing her about the differences of gel and acrylics. X

Don't soak off and start again! If she's been going to a NSS her nails are likely wrecked underneath... we all know that thin & damaged nails are prone to heat spike. Not only that, soaking that concrete takes an age and it STINKS :(

I wouldn't infill either though - I would REBALANCE.

Take the bulk of the old enhancement down and proceed as if it were a new set - that means there shouldn't be an obvious colour difference between the two products as you're going over one with the other rather than just blending the two together. I'd be inclined to use a semi translucent pink (I use NSI Balance and Builder Blush would work well for this) so you further mask the old product.

xxx

Oh my days! What a nightmare! I'm going to be worried about this all night. I'll just explain the options to her and let her decide but I won't be soaking off! Would it make a difference whether I used buff off or soak off gel? X

Oh my days! What a nightmare! I'm going to be worried about this all night. I'll just explain the options to her and let her decide but I won't be soaking off! Would it make a difference whether I used buff off or soak off gel? X

Don't panic. I'd use a buff off gel - slightly tougher (she will probably be used to rock hard talons if it's anything like my local NSS).

xx

Listen to Verde. She's got the knowledge on this one.

Some techs don't like infilling over someone else, and that's fine. It's all about your comfort zone.

However... If you try to soak them off, and its mma, its gonna take forever, PLUS, once removed,.if the nail bed is to damaged to work on, you'll have one very dissatisfied client with nails overly sensitive to heat and cold. Even hand washing will hurt. (been there)

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Thanks everyone! I'll let you know what happens. X

Oh gosh really! Would you soak off and start again? I think its going to be a battle just convincing her about the differences of gel and acrylics. X
Absolutely!!!!! 99% product they've been used contains MMA- would you guarantee what chemical reaction those and your acrylics going to?! Plus filing will take you ages as MMA makes it all very hard. I always take such product off and start from scratches, I don't have a fear then when client lives my salon than thing might go wrong , plus as I said I wouldn't touch anything with MMA as it is, for my own safety and health!

Absolutely!!!!! 99% product they've been used contains MMA- would you guarantee what chemical reaction those and your acrylics going to?! ........ I said I wouldn't touch anything with MMA as it is, for my own safety and health!

There won't be a chemical reaction - the product has already cured.

MMA is safely used in the dental and medical industry - when cured, it's not dangerous at all.

xxx

Last edited:
As soon as you file it, you should be able to feel if it's acrylic or gel .... more than likely it's acrylic with a gel topcoat (that's what NSS call gel).

You should also be able to tell if it's MMA when filing, it will be harder to file and will smell differently.

Not all NSS use MMA (that' just being used as scare tactics these days).

Assess the nails and do you best ..... that's all you can do

Absolutely!!!!! 99% product they've been used contains MMA- would you guarantee what chemical reaction those and your acrylics going to?! Plus filing will take you ages as MMA makes it all very hard. I always take such product off and start from scratches, I don't have a fear then when client lives my salon than thing might go wrong , plus as I said I wouldn't touch anything with MMA as it is, for my own safety and health!

You might want to go back and edit this statement because it is misleading and absolutely NOT true.

As an CND Ambassador who has been working closely with this particular sector of the nail community for over a year, I can tell you as a FACT that they do not all use MMA in their salons. They might use liquid and powder which are cheap and smell different, but they are not all MMA. MMA is pretty hard to actually get hold off.

In fact, according to Geeg, the only true way of knowing if they are using MMA is to have a substantial sample of the liquid and send it to the labs to be tested. It is impossible for any of us to determine otherwise however clever we may think we are.

Latest posts

Back