NVQ 2 Beauty Therapy - Employment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

***juice***

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I asked ages ago if it would be easy getting a job with just level 2 and you lovely geeks reassured me it would be fine.

However, a girl we go to college with came in yesterday and announced we wouldn't be employed in a salon with level 2, we could only be self employed (whether that be renting a chair or home visits). Is she right?

I'm going to do a few additional courses after my level 2 and to be honest I would want to be self employed anyway but some of the girls in the class are a bit upset as they were hoping to work in a salon.

Cheers

x

My neighbour's daughter had level 2 and has been working in a spa for at least 2 years now...

My neighbour's daughter had level 2 and has been working in a spa for at least 2 years now...

And she's definately employed, not just renting a room or whatever?

Must admit, I thought it was a bit dubious when this girl said about it to me!

My beautician is level 2. To be honest level 3 is just electrical and massage. My beautician did an extra massage course and i haven't started doing electrical stuff in the salon yet so level 2 is fine for me. She actually did nursing for quite a number of years and to be honest she was better at the job than the level 3 girl i had who has since left. I know level 3 comes in handy but to say you can't get a job with just a level 2 is madness. Have quite a few salons by me where their staff are level 2.
It all depends on what services the salon offers and how many staff they have.

She's fully employed, not renting a room, couch, tent or yurt!

I have interviewed many therapists and can say that the skills all vary so I did not short list the applicants to just NV3 or above.

Once you have your beauty foundation course there are so many short courses you could do to further your skills which in my experience was far more superior than beauty school training.

I have 2 girls working for me at my salon with level 2 nvqs. Both are excellent at what they do and get lots of repeat bookings, and I'd be stuck without them. If they wanted to go back to college part-time and do level 3 I'd be pleased to accommodate that, which they know, but they seem happy with the qualifications they have already, so I'm happy.

Mmmmm I guess it depends on the type of salon you applying to work in. Most busy salons and spas offer massage and electrical facials (like caci) both of these treatments are covered in the level 3 so most employers are going to want a therapist that can offer these treatments.

I started working in a spa when I was level 2 qualified but I was training in level 3 at the time otherwise they wouldn't have employed me due to the amount of massage they did.

At the end of the day its down to the salon owner and what they require. If I was taking on a therapist I would prefer a level 3 qualification but if I had an outstanding level 2 therapist want a position then I would give it great consideration as I really don't do that much massage and when I start offering caci I would be happy to do those treatments myself.

It all depends on the opportunities you want to be available to you.

I am currently doing Level 2 and what I have covered more than meets my current needs. I will most likely go on and do Level 3, not really because I am that keen (I find it a right slog) but because I feel I wouldn't be fully qualified until I had done Level 3. I would feel I have only part-qualified.

Also, although I am very happily self-employed at the moment, I don't know if the situation would arise in future that I would like a job in a salon or spa. Although as other geeks have highlighted you can get a job in a spa or salon with Level 2, I would want to be able to stand up with confidence against other therapists going for the job that have Level 3.

Also I have been lead to believe Level 3 gives you better grounding for other courses, ie holistics, etc.

Level 3 is no doubt hard work and another year but I am sure it would be very worthwhile to get it under your belt.

Latest posts

Back