NVQ or VRQ

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my tutor termed it to us that the vrq will replace the nvq (I was originally on IVQ as studying abroad) now I'm totally confused! maybe she meant were replacing it.

I think its basically the same units has the NVQ, i was told after doing a VRQ 3 i could go straight onto the shop floor has a junior stylist.

Last edited:
The difference is; to do an NVQ you need to have a work placement. If you haven't got a work placement then a VRQ is the one to take.
I know this as I did a VRQ in beauty therapy last year.

Courses are almost exactly the same as I was told from the tutors at college, same theory, same units and therefore new therapists can work on their own (at the discretion of the manager) once their course is completed
Hth :)

Im in my first year doing vry l2. this is a 1 year course, as my tutor has explained, once i complete the course by June i will recieve a reognised qualification stating what i am capable of, to then further my education i will study for a further year at nvq l2 for 1 year i can then go onto study nvq l.3 but i think i will take a year or 2 out to gain experience in a salon before furthering into level 3.

The idea behind it is - NVQ L.2 Was a 2 year course, gaining no certificate after the first year and your skils only recognised after the 2 year course was complete, students would leave after the first year with nothing to show, student who didnt would then go onto level 3 or to work in a salon.

Now by splitting into VRQ L2 you have something to show after the first year and if your situation changes and you cant go back, it waqsnt wasted you could resume later on.

weathe ryou start on vrq or just do 2 years on NVQ you wil still learn the same, you still need a minimum of 2 years training and by most salons standards be trained to level 3 quals.

im doing the same qualification and our tutor told us that they had changed it from NVQ to VRQ but its the same qualification. I hope shes right about that. :eek: xx

There's already so many threads on this subject but can't find what I'm looking for and didn't want to start another one.

As I've qouted above I started my course thinking it was an NVQ only to be told a few weeks in to it that it was infact a VRQ. The course was horrendous and I felt I learnt nothing.
I'm now assuming from what I've read on salon geek that I learnt nothing new because it's more of an equivelent of your 2nd year NVQ 2 rather than an NVQ 3? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Now my questions are;
  • Am I not as qualified as a NVQ 3?
  • Am I classed as being qualified to a NVQ level 3 so therefore wasted my last free year of education?
  • Would I be able to do a NVQ Level 3 apprenticeship or college course with already having that VRQ qualification?
Thanks geeks x

I did my nvq 1 then applied to do my nvq 2 and it wasn't till we was about a month into the course we found out we was doing a vrq, then we was its practically the same only were not working in the industry as you would be with the nvq I'm not that fussed now though as I wanted to do mobile anyway but one of my friends wanted to work in a salon and now has to go do her nvq 2 then 3 sloshed feels like she's wasted a year and alot of money x

There's already so many threads on this subject but can't find what I'm looking for and didn't want to start another one.

As I've qouted above I started my course thinking it was an NVQ only to be told a few weeks in to it that it was infact a VRQ. The course was horrendous and I felt I learnt nothing.
I'm now assuming from what I've read on salon geek that I learnt nothing new because it's more of an equivelent of your 2nd year NVQ 2 rather than an NVQ 3? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Now my questions are;
  • Am I not as qualified as a NVQ 3?
  • Am I classed as being qualified to a NVQ level 3 so therefore wasted my last free year of education?
  • Would I be able to do a NVQ Level 3 apprenticeship or college course with already having that VRQ qualification?
Thanks geeks x

. If you are VRQ level 3, then it's level 3 - The equivalent is NVQ level 3
. Yep you'd be wasting your time doing the NVQ (saying that, if you feel you've learnt nothing. Speak with your tutor)
hth :)

NVQ all the way! They are not the same thing and VRQ S are not replacing NVQ's! An NVQ is a competence based qualification and a VRQ is a knowledge based qualification. The VRQ will give you a Largely theoretical knowledge of hairdressing, they allow for a large amount of simulation which the NVQ doesn't. You could theoretically pass having only ever worked on a dolls head!! Also the units covered vary between the two! As a salon owner I would strongly recommend aan apprenticeship in salon and NVQ's. ;)

NVQ all the way! They are not the same thing and VRQ S are not replacing NVQ's! An NVQ is a competence based qualification and a VRQ is a knowledge based qualification. The VRQ will give you a Largely theoretical knowledge of hairdressing, they allow for a large amount of simulation which the NVQ doesn't. You could theoretically pass having only ever worked on a dolls head!! Also the units covered vary between the two! As a salon owner I would strongly recommend aan apprenticeship in salon and NVQ's. ;)

Loads of my assesments were done on my dolls head. The theory was exactly the same as my NVQ course work.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

. If you are VRQ level 3, then it's level 3 - The equivalent is NVQ level 3
. Yep you'd be wasting your time doing the NVQ (saying that, if you feel you've learnt nothing. Speak with your tutor)
hth :)

Don't think it would be worth contacting her now, I finished nearly a year ago.
I've been doing a Saturday job in a salon and the girl who owns the salon is doing an NVQ 3 and hers sounds so different. X

A VRQ is only a junior qualification it's is not the same as an NVQ

I am doing VRQ which is exactly the same as NVQ the qualification is no better and no worse than NVQ its just been updated!

Im doing a vrq and have been told its the same as an nvq but its for people that are not doing an aprentaship. We still do real assesments on real clients and most of the girls like me do work in a salon but just unpaid or not as many hours. So it not classed as a aprentaship. So they cant do an nvq.

In my salon im a self employed beauty therapist and dont work for the hair salon there are two aprentaship girls and all then do all day is clean and make tea and if they stop to watch they get told to do somthing were as me if im not busy i sit at my manicure table with a view of the whole salon and watch and listen to everyone with the consultations minxing colour aplication cutting i ask questions and absorb info. I can do more than the other girls and and iv been on the course less time by a nearly a year. But i will aparently be less employable than them. X

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Im doing a vrq and have been told its the same as an nvq but its for people that are not doing an aprentaship. We still do real assesments on real clients and most of the girls like me do work in a salon but just unpaid or not as many hours. So it not classed as a aprentaship. So they cant do an nvq.

In my salon im a self employed beauty therapist and dont work for the hair salon there are two aprentaship girls and all then do all day is clean and make tea and if they stop to watch they get told to do somthing were as me if im not busy i sit at my manicure table with a view of the whole salon and watch and listen to everyone with the consultations minxing colour aplication cutting i ask questions and absorb info. I can do more than the other girls and and iv been on the course less time by a nearly a year. But i will aparently be less employable than them. X

Sounds like you've lucked out with a great college! VRQS can be taught in the same way as NVQ's. Using real clients is "best practice" however the framework for a VRQ allows for simulationsimulation

i dont think this is correct im on a vrq and im neary finnished i have to do 8 cuts 2x each of long grad, one lenght, uniform layer and short grad, And the one lenght must be above shoulder.

8 Colours covering all types of colour and tecniques to inderstry timings.

All of these are done on real human beings we are not allowed to do an assesment on a block. I think anyone aplying for a job should be trade tested not just judged on the fact its not an nvq. Also i would like to ask if anyone would hire me at 24 for an aprentaship coz i cant find anyone that will as they will have to pay me more and your not allowed to do a nvq without a work placment..

I must lucky then if this is not the case everywere. I have great teachers that all work in a salon in the day and teach in the evenings. And payed £1500 for this course so it better not be worthless. X

i dont think this is correct im on a vrq and im neary finnished i have to do 8 cuts 2x each of long grad, one lenght, uniform layer and short grad, And the one lenght must be above shoulder.

8 Colours covering all types of colour and tecniques to inderstry timings.

All of these are done on real human beings we are not allowed to do an assesment on a block. I think anyone aplying for a job should be trade tested not just judged on the fact its not an nvq. Also i would like to ask if anyone would hire me at 24 for an aprentaship coz i cant find anyone that will as they will have to pay me more and your not allowed to do a nvq without a work placment..

You are lucky then that you have a great college that continue to run to "best practice" however the VRQ does allow for simulation which creates disparity in the qualifications! Also I would be more than happy to have a 24 year old apprentice, who can be paid an apprentice wage for the first year o their apprenticeship. I have always preferred working with older people who on general want it more and are therefore more dedicated and reliable. That is just my opinion though. ;)

I am doing VRQ which is exactly the same as NVQ the qualification is no better and no worse than NVQ its just been updated!

This isn't correct. I say this as an employer, teacher, assessor and with lots of industry experience under my belt.

I've recently just been hiring (looking for a new stylist) and I ended up with 3 piles of applications for the same job - 1. Rejects 2. People who qualified to either NVQ or VRQ Level 3 at a college and 3. People who qualified to either NVQ Level 2 or NVQ Level 3 in a real working salon.

I hired my stylist from group 3. I interviewed a few from group 2 but told them all before the interview that their lack of any industry experience meant they'd be getting interviewed as a 1st year junior and would have to retrain from scratch. I hired one girl from this group as our new first year junior - despite the fact she is qualified to VRQ Level 3 - and she's happy to do so as no other salons would even touch her with a bargepole (her words, not mine) as they all demanded salon experience.

The VRQ screams "Hey, I have a piece of paper but likely no skills that you could use properly in your salon when you compare me to your existing 1st year junior staff".

I know it's disappointing to hear, but think about it this way ... whoever heard of someone qualifying as a nurse without ever once having worked in a hospital during her course? See what I mean? Our clients are like our patients and we need to know they're in good hands with experienced people looking after them.

To get a job as a stylist you need to qualify as a stylist, and that means training somewhere stylists actually work so you can learn the job properly.

College prepares you to get a piece of paper but not necessarily a job. I think all salon owners on here will agree with me by saying we have never ever employed someone fresh out of college with a level 2 (or 3) piece of paper as a stylist on a full stylists pay. Even the best college leavers usually need a minimum of 6 months training before they're even able to colour or cut to salon standards.

I'll leave you with the words of our new junior's mum, who said to her lat week, "I wish you'd just gone there in the first place instead of wasting 3 years at that college!"

:eek:

yes i was told in leeds theres no chance of getting a apprentice because im 24 and nope not one place would consider me there but funnily enough ive been applying for london and had 3 interviews so far 1 of which ive got a salon placement so i can do my nvq level 3 and still got more interviews set up so it is possible but i think down south they get more funding x

This isn't correct. I say this as an employer, teacher, assessor and with lots of industry experience under my belt.

I've recently just been hiring (looking for a new stylist) and I ended up with 3 piles of applications for the same job - 1. Rejects 2. People who qualified to either NVQ or VRQ Level 3 at a college and 3. People who qualified to either NVQ Level 2 or NVQ Level 3 in a real working salon.

I hired my stylist from group 3. I interviewed a few from group 2 but told them all before the interview that their lack of any industry experience meant they'd be getting interviewed as a 1st year junior and would have to retrain from scratch. I hired one girl from this group as our new first year junior - despite the fact she is qualified to VRQ Level 3 - and she's happy to do so as no other salons would even touch her with a bargepole (her words, not mine) as they all demanded salon experience.

The VRQ screams "Hey, I have a piece of paper but likely no skills that you could use properly in your salon when you compare me to your existing 1st year junior staff".

I know it's disappointing to hear, but think about it this way ... whoever heard of someone qualifying as a nurse without ever once having worked in a hospital during her course? See what I mean? Our clients are like our patients and we need to know they're in good hands with experienced people looking after them.

To get a job as a stylist you need to qualify as a stylist, and that means training somewhere stylists actually work so you can learn the job properly.

College prepares you to get a piece of paper but not necessarily a job. I think all salon owners on here will agree with me by saying we have never ever employed someone fresh out of college with a level 2 (or 3) piece of paper as a stylist on a full stylists pay. Even the best college leavers usually need a minimum of 6 months training before they're even able to colour or cut to salon standards.

I'll leave you with the words of our new junior's mum, who said to her lat week, "I wish you'd just gone there in the first place instead of wasting 3 years at that college!"

:eek:

I agree!! I am also a salon owner and assessor with years of industry experience. If you can't get an apprenticeship then is there enough jobs for all these college trained hairdressers? How many thousand are being churned out annually? It doesn't add u! :-/

yes i was told in leeds theres no chance of getting a apprentice because im 24 and nope not one place would consider me there but funnily enough ive been applying for london and had 3 interviews so far 1 of which ive got a salon placement so i can do my nvq level 3 and still got more interviews set up so it is possible but i think down south they get more funding x

Best of luck! You won't regret it! :)

Latest posts

Back