NVQ or VRQ

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In response to the bit i was quoted, toni and guy actually told me that this is what they would have to pay me, so im not just talking off the top of my head. It is entirely down to the individual, a lot of the girls in my class including myself have at least a year of salon experience, Ive worked in two since I was 15, and will be looking for a placement to gain more experience when i move cities. This argument would be a bit different if colleges were still offering NVQs like this did til a few years ago, moreover it would be salons saying they dont want to employ anyone from college, which is fair enough, but you cant put everyone in the same boat.

I have just found this when googling;

Diploma/NVQ - City & Guilds
Level
Level Three

What's it all about?

This qualification is for students who have successfully completed a level 3 (VRQ) qualification, or the level 2 NVQ/Diploma as an apprentice. This qualification will also be appropriate for a stylist working within the industry whom may wish to progress and develop their skills and knowledge within hairdressing to an advanced level.
Within their study time there are many exciting enrichment opportunities to take part in, such as a visit to Salon International in London, a trip to Europe or even America to the Wella Studios, photographic shoots, supporting fashion shows and much, much more!

Progression

This qualification will enhance career prospects and can be used as an entry route onto higher level qualifications, such as the the A1 Assessors qualification or to progress to a supervisory, managment role within a hairdressing salon.

Entry Requirements

In our experience in order to be successful on this programme you will need one of the following:
  • an NVQ level 2/technical certificate in hairdressing
  • VRQ Level 3 in Women's Hairdressing
  • successful completion of an apprenticeship programme

So a VRQ Level 3 is the same as a NVQ Level 2? So I have technically done the same course twice?

hey. .
an nvq is a qualification that you have got and learnt using real clients,
a vrq is a qualification that get using blocks, mates, or clients
at college i was told employers much prefer a nvq however you still end up with the same qualificaition in the end it just means your training was different,
a vrq will not prevent you from working in a salon it just means you may need extra help if you havnt done a lot of clients, it wont limit you to just family and friends and you can usually get fully insured on a vrq!
i would prefer to do an nvq however a vrq is ok as well only thing i dont get is that in my college an nvq level 3 is one day a week but a vrq 3 days a week, also a lot of colleges are changing over to vrqs now anyway so some places you dont have a choice :)
Hope this helps:)

I have just found this when googling;

Diploma/NVQ - City & Guilds
Level
Level Three

What's it all about?

This qualification is for students who have successfully completed a level 3 (VRQ) qualification, or the level 2 NVQ/Diploma as an apprentice. This qualification will also be appropriate for a stylist working within the industry whom may wish to progress and develop their skills and knowledge within hairdressing to an advanced level.
Within their study time there are many exciting enrichment opportunities to take part in, such as a visit to Salon International in London, a trip to Europe or even America to the Wella Studios, photographic shoots, supporting fashion shows and much, much more!

Progression

This qualification will enhance career prospects and can be used as an entry route onto higher level qualifications, such as the the A1 Assessors qualification or to progress to a supervisory, managment role within a hairdressing salon.

Entry Requirements

In our experience in order to be successful on this programme you will need one of the following:
  • an NVQ level 2/technical certificate in hairdressing
  • VRQ Level 3 in Women's Hairdressing
  • successful completion of an apprenticeship programme

So a VRQ Level 3 is the same as a NVQ Level 2? So I have technically done the same course twice?

I don't read it like that. It says you need to have competed a NVQ/VRQ level 2 to do level 3?

Thanks for your reply.
Hmm I dunno, I read the entry requirements as an NVQ level 2 or a VRQ Level 3.
I just want the best training and qualifications I can get and I guess I just feel like I didn't get that from the VRQ. X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

That's how I read it aswell. It definitely seems to be a lesser qualification, my NVQ Level 2 course work is the same as my VRQ level 3 (except for a whole unit on healthy eating and wellbeing :rolleyes:)
It really is confusing. lol.
I really want to try and do the NVQ 3, but don't know how to go about it if colleges are just doing VRQs and I don't know if I'll be eligible to do an apprenticeship with me already having a Level 3.

x

I asked my college if for my level 3 i can go on a nvq as i work in a hair salon but they said i could only do that if i was on an offical aprentaship were they paid me i dont get paid at all for it at the moment i know the salon wont officaly employ me so i will have to stay with the vrq. X

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Are you doing the courses part time or full time?
I'm undecided about whether to do Hairdressing or Beauty therapy and I've got a place on each of the course ( just got to decide which I'm gonna take) but they are both full time and they are both nvq and not vrq and its not through an apprenticeship.
Why is my college different to yours? And in fact I looked at 5 colleges near me and they are all nvq.

Are they defo NVQs? The college I attended advertised the course as an NVQ but it wasn't until maybe 10 weeks into the course that we were told it was infact a VRQ and the college website still shows the course as being an NVQ. X

a VRQ and NVQ are exactly the same. The only difference is a VRQ is for people who didnt get the grades at school to do an NVQ.

a VRQ and NVQ are exactly the same. The only difference is a VRQ is for people who didnt get the grades at school to do an NVQ.
That is not correct.

Guh, so much speculation over this. It really depends from college to college, but the VRQ is the college equivalent of an NVQ, and yes you do use real clients, not blocks. All my assesments bar 1 perm were on clients (and that was only cos we didnt have enough perms clients for everyone in the class to do one). Plus, for every summative assessment (eg. the one we got graded on) we had to do 2 practice assessments, again on real people. So for every single aspect- cutting one length, cutting graduated bob, full head tint, tint roots etc we had to do at least 3 clients for each of these, mostly more due to demand. I dont know how it works in other colleges but mine had loads of money spent on redeveloping the entire place, so we had 3 practise salons, 1 commercial salon and 1 graduate salon where people who had passed level 3 and were the best worked full time.

That's not true at all. I got great gcses and went on to do a level maths & English equiv at college. I could of done nvq but as I do my course in the evenings I couldn't due to commitments. So I opted for the vrq.

I'm on my level 2 vrq, we are being taught the same as the nvq but the only difference is we don't get timed for our assessments.

We have to do all our assessments on clients that come into the college salon, bar the perm as we can do those on the block If we can't find anyone who wants a perm.

I just thought that's what they changed nvq too because its fast track now? I did my nvq 1&2 at college 10 years ago n now retraining doing a vrq level 2 fast track, and to be honest, we're getting through things that fast, if I hadn't of already studied hair I don't think it would all be going in! x

That's not true at all. I got great gcses and went on to do a level maths & English equiv at college. I could of done nvq but as I do my course in the evenings I couldn't due to commitments. So I opted for the vrq.

I'm on my level 2 vrq, we are being taught the same as the nvq but the only difference is we don't get timed for our assessments.

We have to do all our assessments on clients that come into the college salon, bar the perm as we can do those on the block If we can't find anyone who wants a perm.

Ah thats odd my college times vrq assessments, they do give allowances for sy applying fullhead tint to excessively thick hair as its more important to get good coverage, but girls who took ages and also need help from the teachers after the consultation run through automatically failed.

NVQ all the way! They are not the same thing and VRQ S are not replacing NVQ's! An NVQ is a competence based qualification and a VRQ is a knowledge based qualification. The VRQ will give you a Largely theoretical knowledge of hairdressing, they allow for a large amount of simulation which the NVQ doesn't. You could theoretically pass having only ever worked on a dolls head!! Also the units covered vary between the two! As a salon owner I would strongly recommend aan apprenticeship in salon and NVQ's. ;)

You are absolutely correct. I run an academy which trains to NVQ standard. Its a much better qualification and many salons will not employ anyone with less than an NVQ. We had the option to offer VRQs and were told that they were a stepping stone to NVQs but currently we do not offer them, as we would rather our students attain a better qualification and understanding by having in salon experience. The colleges are running VRQs as students do not need a salon position which is hard to come by.

I don't agree with the above statement. I think most salons prefer to employ someone after having trade tested them first to check their ability, regardless of NVQ v VRQ.

It's largely irrelevant what qualifications potential employees possess if they can't demonstrate an ability to perform a range of hairdressing services within a reasonable timeframe.

Also, just like learning to drive and passing your test, a hairdressing qualification demonstrates the student has attained a basic level of competence, but I'd expect them to continue to learn throughout their career.

Therefore, to any geeks in training at the moment, don't worry too much about the qualification title but spend time on really learning your craft. This is what will ultimately get you where you want to be.

when i've applied for jobs in the past they've all specified that they're looking for a NVQ qualified stylist i've never seen a VRQ!!!

Has anybody managed to get an employed salon job with a VRQ (in hair or beauty)? Most employers I've spoke to seem to be unsure of the VRQ.

Has anybody managed to get an employed salon job with a VRQ (in hair or beauty)? Most employers I've spoke to seem to be unsure of the VRQ.

Just bumping this question up. :)

Its because the qual is so new, like literally only a few years old, and gradually colleges are supposed to be phasing it in so a VRQ should be college only training and an apprenticeship should be NVQ. Lots of salons might not have heard of a VRQ. Loads of girls I went to college with managed to get jobs as junior stylists with a VRQ level 2. I think because of the inconsistency of colleges it really varies what kind of VRQ education you will get and this will cheapen the qual. Theres no standards really so one college everyone might do their VRQ on blocks and barely any real people, and another they might do it on all paying clients.. so it is down to the individual to take the basic training and I feel especially if youve been to college you have to prove yourself more, so I will be taking any training I can afford to boost my skills and CV.

Latest posts

Back