NVQ or VRQ

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just because you have a vrq does not mean you have no salon experence. I would say that 80% of my class work at least 2 days in a salon or a few evenings. It just means they did not do an aprentaship. They got paid a normal wadge or worked for fee. X

Will we still need training and i would happily start as a junior. On min wadge untill such a time i could do anything that walked through door with out help.

Also i have have not just dont 8 cuts i will have done 8 assesments. Iv cut 4 people at home my mum sister boyfriend and friend.

I did some highlights on tuesday. So i think.its all about how much the person has put in in their own time. x
Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Even my stylists are astonished at how much hair and colour theory I know. I trained back in the good ole days of city and guilds.

36 is right, there are a lot of pretty good hairdressers who cant get jobs right now, let alone hundreds of poorly trained college leavers being churned out each year.

I feel so sorry for them, they have been so mislead. The rules that salons work under mean it is so stacked against them.

i know i have mentioned to my tutor how people do not take a vrq seriously and she dissmisses saying oh its not true you are going to get a job after level 3 but i can see this is not the case even i dont feel they teach them to the standards a salon would need.. but what you proffesionals advice to some like me who is wanting to become a hairdresser and have got the determination and drive x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

i know i have mentioned to my tutor how people do not take a vrq seriously and she dissmisses saying oh its not true you are going to get a job after level 3 but i can see this is not the case even i dont feel they teach them to the standards a salon would need.. but what you proffesionals advice to some like me who is wanting to become a hairdresser and have got the determination and drive x

Work experience, and lots of it. I did it, and got my foot in the door.

Just because you have a vrq does not mean you have no salon experence. I would say that 80% of my class work at least 2 days in a salon or a few evenings. It just means they did not do an aprentaship. They got paid a normal wadge or worked for fee. X

Will we still need training and i would happily start as a junior. On min wadge untill such a time i could do anything that walked through door with out help.

Also i have have not just dont 8 cuts i will have done 8 assesments. Iv cut 4 people at home my mum sister boyfriend and friend.

I did some highlights on tuesday. So i think.its all about how much the person has put in in their own time. x

As I have said before some students are lucky, with
Colleges and tutors who still work to "best practice" however the VRQ framework allows the worst case scenario to happen and result in passes!! Our industry is an extremely difficult one, training hundreds of hairdressers every year without the right skills is a huge dis service to everyone! Things like cutting and colour theory are hugely important and are only properly embedded by endless practice! When I qualified only a level 2 was required to be a qualified hairdresser, this took me two years solid an I was no slouch! I worked my socks off and was lucky to have a boss who gave me endless training as long as I wanted it! I brought models several evenings a week on top of our normal training times! After I completed my level 2 I did 2 years as an improver, colouring and blow drying for senior stylists and also started to build my own column. Only then were we permitted to look at level 3. How can students complete an advanced qualification when they have only just completed the first? Sorry if I've ranted an once again this is only my opinion as a long qualified stylist and salon owner( others in my situation seem to agree too!). Can we all be wrong?

Im not saying you are wrong. But it does.seam pleople with vrqs are being dismissed as usless and wont know anything and wont be conciderd for a job. When the whole picture should be taken into account not just the type of qualifaction. E.g be trade teasted, asked if they have worked in a salon, not just asumed they havent.

Im not saying you are wrong. But it does.seam pleople with vrqs are being dismissed as usless and wont know anything and wont be conciderd for a job. When the whole picture should be taken into account not just the type of qualifaction. E.g be trade teasted, asked if they have worked in a salon, not just asumed they havent.

In my opinion the "whole picture" isn't being taken into account when they keep re- devising these qualifications every other year! Which salon owners/industry experts are they getting to advise?

Work experience, and lots of it. I did it, and got my foot in the door.

you see thats what i want but in my area nobody will take me on why because of my age and college is not suppoetive with trying to find a salon placement but im lucky to have found a salon placement near my dads that means giving up my house changing my kids school etc but im determined as hairdressing is something i really want to do but its still not fair on the millions of others who are being lied to by there college etc

In my opinion the "whole picture" isn't being taken into account when they keep re- devising these qualifications every other year! Which salon owners/industry experts are they getting to advise?

true but this not the students fault. we.have to make the best of a bad situation.x

There's already so many threads on this subject but can't find what I'm looking for and didn't want to start another one.

As I've qouted above I started my course thinking it was an NVQ only to be told a few weeks in to it that it was infact a VRQ. The course was horrendous and I felt I learnt nothing.
I'm now assuming from what I've read on salon geek that I learnt nothing new because it's more of an equivelent of your 2nd year NVQ 2 rather than an NVQ 3? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Now my questions are;
  • Am I not as qualified as a NVQ 3?
  • Am I classed as being qualified to a NVQ level 3 so therefore wasted my last free year of education?
  • Would I be able to do a NVQ Level 3 apprenticeship or college course with already having that VRQ qualification?
Thanks geeks x

Can anybody else help with my question please? : ) xx

From reading through, VRQ does have its flaws and I know because I have 1 assessment left before completing it. I am lucky to have tutors who take it seriously and definitely dont let anyone cheat on the tests. We will have a city and guilds qual at the end, and whilst its not the same as working in a salon, I dont regret doing it. I guess I'm lucky because ive worked hard to build up my own experience. The minute I learnt how to do any technique Ive started doing it on friends and family, to the point where Ive built up a mini client base of at least 40 regular people and this has definitely improved my skills and knowledge. VRQ lacks in a lot of in depth colour theory and this is probably the worst part. However, every single girl in my class knows how to do a good perm, set, style. The only girls who lack skills in colour and cut are the ones that piss about and never come to college. My year have one 7 hour day in the salon a week with proper paying clients, we dont get help from our teachers, we just talk through what we will be doing with the client i.e the best colour options etc. Then we get left to do the assessment on our own with the teacher coming round and checking regularly. There's plenty of room for improvement as with anything, but I know a hell of a lot more than I did in september. A lot of that is probably through my own research and practise, but I feel I have the base training to allow me to attend and understand colour courses and progress my own hairdressing knowledge in my own time whilst im at uni. Doing an apprenticeship is awesome if you know you want to be a hairdresser the minute you leave school, but if you're like me and took a more unorthodox route, i.e. doing A levels then going to hairdressing then going to uni to do photography, theres no way I would want to devote my entire life to just one trade. I did it more because I enjoy it and its a reliable way of earning money, but not sure I could spend my whole working life in a salon.

Hi here is some info I hope it helps

What does NVQ / VRQ stand for?

NVQ stands for 'National Vocational Qualification'. VRQ stands for 'Vocational Related Qualification'. Both are nationally and internationally recognised qualifications.

What do the different numbers mean, e.g. NVQ 2 and VRQ 3?

NVQ’s and VRQ’s are designed to open up your career opportunities and enable you to continue learning throughout your lifetime. The number after an NVQ / VRQ demonstrates to employers, colleagues and clients, the level you have reached in your career so far.

Level 1 = Beginner, Level 2 = Intermediate, Level 3 = Advanced, Level 4 = Senior/Management.

Why do employers say “Candidate must have NVQ 3 or equivalent” for jobs? What does the 'equivalent' bit mean?

In England and Wales, the qualification is known as either NVQ or VRQ. The same (or equivalent qualification) has different names depending on the country in which you studied.

For example, in Scotland the NVQ is commonly called an SVQ (Scottish Vocational Qualification). In America, the NVQ equivalent is to be a qualifed State Registered Hairdresser. In Australia, the NVQ equivalent is the WRH Level 3 Certificate.

Employers will consider foreign workers who have achieved this level of certification.

In neither the UK, or many other countries, would a certificate from “Bobs Hair School” for example, ever be recognized as proof that you are a fully qualified and fully trained hairdresser. Upon graduating from the Liverpool Hairdressing Academy you will receive your full NVQ / VRQ certification through the international awarding body, such as City & Guilds or VTCT.

I understand the importance of getting an NVQ / VRQ, but I am short on time. Should I pay to do a shorter course and then do an NVQ later on?

No. You will find it pretty much impossible to find employment in the industry without an NVQ / VRQ. Employers always advertise for NVQ qualified staff and receive many applications for positions from already qualified hairdressers.

I wrote on this thread orginally and also showed it to my college tutrs who then called a meting with all students on the vrq course to explain it all in depth.

I am almost finished at my level 2 vrq - just have my updp to do next week and one barbering assessment - this was not compulsory for me as im now 25 but i chose to pay for it and do itas an extra unit.

I have now succesfully obtaine a position in a salon which i start on 4th May, i also have helped out my own stylist in her salon, - her other stylist had to leave urgently as her father had atragic accident and passed away so i helped out for 5 days, it was nice she thought ofme and asked me, and it was a fab experience, her feedback at the end was i will make a fantastic hairdresser, my knowledge is of a high stanard and i am been trained well, the cuts i did were as expected, as where my foils and rot touch up, along with my picking and mixing the colours myself.

The salon i am going to have trade tested me and aare hppy with my work. I wont bereturning to college netyear and will be working - fully insured which i already now have n place for my start date, and then i wish to further my skillswith individual courses, i have obtained the wella education book for 2012 and i feel that it will be more benificial for me to train in specific areas that i am most passionate about at my pace than having it thrown at me in another year at college.

Alot of people on here put a VRQ Students down on here, how many of you have actually trade tested some one from a VRQ To actually see what the individual is capable of?

As for the "trained in the good old days of city and guilds" remark, the VRQ Is city and guilds.

Some of these points are valid but we do have to look at the bigger picture.
SOME Colleges may mislead their learners but not ALL. Just like SOME employers train their Apprentices but not ALL. We are always going to have a split opinion with this one. However as Tutor, Assessor and Salon worker I see both sides of the story. Just like anything it's never cut and dry.

Reading all these post have made me feel abit worried about which course qualification would be best for me i'm 35yr, in september i have been offered a VRQ 2 which will mean doing two evenings a week or i can do a NVQ 2 one evening a week at another college which has a built in salon with paying customers.

The college tutor explained and i quote what she had said at my interview both VRQ and NVQa are equivalent in terms of learning the basics, but the VRQ's are mainly for people who want to do it at home, it does not have strict guide lines on assessments like the NVQs.

Yes I have trade tested many fresh out of college stylists. Only one managed to do a cut that was level both sides, and pretty straight.
The worst I saw was a long one length cut that was 6 inches out.

I've been following all the posts about qualifications, nvq, diplomas and training in general.

I hear and understand it from most points of view.

As a salon owner with no beauty skills apart from waxing I want to start with diplomas just so I have and understanding when managing staff for the future.

I have been told that's all that is required as I never intend to be employed by anyone else in this field.

I have other qualifications to my name. Daughter is qualified hairdresser.

My question is, no matter what course anyone goes for, does anyone ever fail, get kicked off courses. Tutors have told me It's very rare in both hair and beauty and most colleges and assessors will get students through at whatever cost!

Does this approach make a mockery of the whole education process?

from Debbie's HTC Sense

I've been following all the posts about qualifications, nvq, diplomas and training in general.

I hear and understand it from most points of view.

As a salon owner with no beauty skills apart from waxing I want to start with diplomas just so I have and understanding when managing staff for the future.

I have been told that's all that is required as I never intend to be employed by anyone else in this field.

I have other qualifications to my name. Daughter is qualified hairdresser.

My question is, no matter what course anyone goes for, does anyone ever fail, get kicked off courses. Tutors have told me It's very rare in both hair and beauty and most colleges and assessors will get students through at whatever cost!

Does this approach make a mockery of the whole education process?

from Debbie's HTC Sense

There have been 2 students removed from my course at college, this is becaus ethey were not their to learn, had and showed no interest in thecourse and where simply rining it for the rest of us. I lucky to be in a small group of 7 students all of whom are over 19 and we get alot of 1 to 1 with the tutor. We also understand that it is important to wait if the tutor is with another student and client where as a lot of the younger ones jsut steam ahead as are to impatient and get it wrong.

I feel we have all been very lucky on my course, with such a small group of us it has meant thelevelof learning has been exceptional,

I am known by other tudent for been the teachers pet, because i ask the questions and i know the answers when asked, but that down to my enthusiasm, ive done lots of research at home, on the theory side and practiced on many friends, ive taken clients every session since january, unlike all the others who work on a training block - How boaring and so unrealistic! Im not bothered what my student friends think im on the course for me and my family (2 small boys) and our furture, i lovehairdressing and i feel so happy to be achieving my goals, yes a little later than i wanted to but im doing it, and to beable to go to work ben happy and come home been happy means a happy home for my boys to grow up in.

persianista, i wish i was in a good travelling distance to you, id come and show you not all us VRQ Students are the same, i want this career so much, ive put so much in and already am getting the rewards for my hard work, i just want to keep achieving, please understand we are not all bad VRQ Students, I think with all that has been said every one should have an open mind about both nvq and vrq quals, as its not just the qual taht makes a good stylist.

There have been 2 students removed from my course at college, this is becaus ethey were not their to learn, had and showed no interest in thecourse and where simply rining it for the rest of us. I lucky to be in a small group of 7 students all of whom are over 19 and we get alot of 1 to 1 with the tutor. We also understand that it is important to wait if the tutor is with another student and client where as a lot of the younger ones jsut steam ahead as are to impatient and get it wrong.

I feel we have all been very lucky on my course, with such a small group of us it has meant thelevelof learning has been exceptional,

I am known by other tudent for been the teachers pet, because i ask the questions and i know the answers when asked, but that down to my enthusiasm, ive done lots of research at home, on the theory side and practiced on many friends, ive taken clients every session since january, unlike all the others who work on a training block - How boaring and so unrealistic! Im not bothered what my student friends think im on the course for me and my family (2 small boys) and our furture, i lovehairdressing and i feel so happy to be achieving my goals, yes a little later than i wanted to but im doing it, and to beable to go to work ben happy and come home been happy means a happy home for my boys to grow up in.

persianista, i wish i was in a good travelling distance to you, id come and show you not all us VRQ Students are the same, i want this career so much, ive put so much in and already am getting the rewards for my hard work, i just want to keep achieving, please understand we are not all bad VRQ Students, I think with all that has been said every one should have an open mind about both nvq and vrq quals, as its not just the qual taht makes a good stylist.
You are missing my point. The qualification name is not important, it is the lack of education within colleges that is my bugbear. They lie to you and tell you that you can do hair, when reality is that they have not prepared you anywhere near enough to handle the general public in a normal salon environment.

The colleges are misleading people into thinking they will get a job.

What the colleges won't tell you is just how much you won't learn, that you will be faced with on a daily basis in a salon.

I have had a college leaver slate me in salon because I expected her to do Ghd curls in half an hour, she told me I was treating clients like a conveyer belt, and I should stop rushing people. The client went mad because she took an hour and a half. The girl was hopeless. Her mouthing off from a position of ignorance was the icing.

The argument between nvqs and Vrqs is pretty academic. I actually don't think either are great.

My juniors do day release and models in salon. After 6 months she can just about do a blow dry, and apply a colour (not to salon speed or standard).
Are you seriously saying she should now be a stylist? She has done some cuts on blocks. Would you let her cut your hair?

Colleges offer full time and apprenticeship routes. Apprenticeship routes are going to gain you more experience as you are in salon most of the time. However the salon you are in MUST train you.

I find some salons rely on Colleges or training providers to supply all the training. Thats not what an apprenticeship is.

With the NVQ system you have to complete assessments in particular time frames. Most salons do work a lot quicker than the time frames set. Tutors deliver the standards, Habia set the standards, city and guilds approve the certificates, the government supplies the funding. It's a vicious circle xx

The argumentis just becomming out of contorol, in comparison, lewis hamilton and jenson button can drive a rally car, doenst mean they would be the best drivers on the road with every one else.

Your simply tarnishing every one with the same brush which is unfair, iv worked my backside off and put in hours of extra work and commitment to get where i am, iv fulfilled a trade test and got my poistion that i wanted, through my hard work, comitment and been dedicated to the future, it doesnt seem to matter how polite people are to you, your have had a bad experience and are now refuing to give others the chance to shine because of their qualification, but in actual fact how are any newbies gonna improve when people will not simply give them the opportunity and chance, im lucky i have been given that chance and i am determined to prove it was a good decision for the salon. The only way to get speed up is with practicing and getting it right.

Latest posts

Back