Oh dear.. Has anyone had good training at the Carlton?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellikat

Reaction score
Just been reading on the site about everyone elses experiance with the Carlton in Windsor and abit worried now...

I am booked to do both my NVQ level 2 & IHBC with them in two weeks, Total cost just over a grand........:cry: Then extra £300 as hubby booked me into a nice "spa" hotel for gift for Valentines prezzie. Money is NON refundable..

Has anyone got anything good to say about them???

I am a Florist by trade but took time out to look after my youngest son who hyperactive and wanted to do something around the kids (times not place LOL) Always been nail addict myself and very into arty stuff so thought nails would be GREAT from me to do... I`ve been so excited and nervous over this "new start" and now I`ve read the bad press on this site about it I`m not sure I`m doing the right thing (course not job change)

(I have Nail trainer which I use for my free hand nail art as been designing on nails since I was young for my mum...)

Hi hun i cant comment on the nails course from there but have done beauty and swedish massage . The courses were quite good but the after care was rubbish when u come to do the your portfolio , type carlton institute into the search tab at the top of the page hun and you will see the replies about this hth .

I cant comment on them specificially but I had training at my local college - it was pretty rubbish, especially the nail side of things. So you might not have been any better off if you trained at a local college either.

If the money is non refundable then I would go and get the most out of it, just bear in mind that it might not tell you all you need to know. The thing I would do then is practise practise practise, read every you can find and remember you wont be perfect to start with - I know I found it really hard to start and still find that I lack confidence with nails even after 4 nearly 5 years!

Karaxxx

I agree with Kara - get the most out of it :hug:

Go in with a positive attitude, don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, especially if you are stuck

I also did a VTCT at a local college (possibly the same one as Kara) and it was shockingly bad!

You have to start somewhere, and fingers crossed, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck! :hug:

I agree with Kara - get the most out of it :hug:

Go in with a positive attitude, don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, especially if you are stuck

I also did a VTCT at a local college (possibly the same one as Kara) and it was shockingly bad!

You have to start somewhere, and fingers crossed, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck! :hug:

Im also doing a course at my local college :eek: wish id gorn to cnd/nsi for my training, as ill be doing it anyway now, lets just say we learn by are mistakes,and yes it was shockingly bad :irked:xxx

Good luck with the course hon, get out of it what you can and learn from it!! xx

I am currently compiling my portfolio for IHBC, IIHHT and NVQ3 through the Carlton Institute. I trained for massage and nails at Windsor and IHBC at Exmouth. Exmouth offer smaller class sizes so I found it slightly better there but the massage courses were fully comprehensive at Windsor.

The nail extension course is slightly crammed in and the idea is to get you safe and able to pracice at home - nothing more! I sort of expected to finish the course and be able to do a lovely set of nails, but 7 months on I can do a lovely full set but it still takes quite a while (but a I don't do them very often I am never going to get quicker!).

The aftercare is good but you do have to ask, I was on the phone quite a lot and in the end I went back to do the nail extension course again (free of charge if you do it within 8 weeks). Your portfolio is a bit daunting when it arrived but once you have all your evidence and assignments completed it is pretty straight forward, once again if you are unsure then just give them a call.

Hope this helps! And I hope you enjoy your break!:)

I went to the cartlon about 10 years ago so things might have changed quite a bit but i thought it was good. The smaller units such as eye treatments are really good and sufficient to start working on client straight away. Our class sizes were very small.

I did the nail tech module as well and it is very fast so you have to pay attention and i'm not sure it would be sufficient to go straight into a salon but if gives you the basics. If you already have a nail-trainer you will be able to spend time practicing afterwards before you do your assessments anyway.

I also had no problems with aftercare and found them very helpful. I agree with the other comments go in with an open mind and have fun!

Lilac

I went to the cartlon about 10 years ago so things might have changed quite a bit but i thought it was good. The smaller units such as eye treatments are really good and sufficient to start working on client straight away. Our class sizes were very small.

I did the nail tech module as well and it is very fast so you have to pay attention and i'm not sure it would be sufficient to go straight into a salon but if gives you the basics. If you already have a nail-trainer you will be able to spend time practicing afterwards before you do your assessments anyway.

I also had no problems with aftercare and found them very helpful. I agree with the other comments go in with an open mind and have fun!

Lilac

I think it is pretty impractical to make a statement based on something you did 10 years ago, if you don't mind my saying so. :green: Absolutely nothing you have said is applicable to the poster as to what is happening NOW. The whole nail syllabus has changed 3 times since 10 years ago and nails is no longer one unit but a whole NVQ on its own.

If you can't get your money back and do a course with a better reputation then as said, do the best you can with what you've got. You can and will need to go on with your education regardless of where you start as the NVQ only provides a minimum standard of learning and certainly does not prepare you to enter the industry.

hi,

I agree with everyone, i went to a loacal college which was so bad, i dont feel i got the right tution, im just practising, and practising.

I am currently compiling my portfolio for IHBC, IIHHT and NVQ3 through the Carlton Institute. I trained for massage and nails at Windsor and IHBC at Exmouth. Exmouth offer smaller class sizes so I found it slightly better there but the massage courses were fully comprehensive at Windsor.

The nail extension course is slightly crammed in and the idea is to get you safe and able to pracice at home - nothing more! I sort of expected to finish the course and be able to do a lovely set of nails, but 7 months on I can do a lovely full set but it still takes quite a while (but a I don't do them very often I am never going to get quicker!).

The aftercare is good but you do have to ask, I was on the phone quite a lot and in the end I went back to do the nail extension course again (free of charge if you do it within 8 weeks). Your portfolio is a bit daunting when it arrived but once you have all your evidence and assignments completed it is pretty straight forward, once again if you are unsure then just give them a call.

Hope this helps! And I hope you enjoy your break!:)

Thanks to all that answered,
So glad there was at least one person training with them now who answered. I am looking forward to the course again as read your advice and brought a lovely dic-a-phone which i will be taking with me (hiding in needed)LOL.

I am reading loads and practising on my nail trainer as much as possible, I dont want to go straight into working at salon as sure it will take time to get my quailty and timings sorted....

thanks xxx

Hi - I did a body massage course with the Carlton Institute in Windsor and Nail Extensions and i thought the tutoring there was fab - I didn't do the NVQ or assessments with them so cannot comment on that but i loved it and thought the teachers were really good. thumbs up from me - hope this helps

hi,

I did my training at the carlton institute in windsor in september 2007 and am currently finishing off my paperwork to send in for my assessment. I throughly enjoyed my training although the paperwork is a bit hard to discifer but once you do it all falls into place.

hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your training:lol:

Latest posts

Back