One step forward, 10 steps back

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedAdmiral

Reaction score
Based on a few threads I've read recently I have a question about Nail technician's pricing. Now I know it varies from place to place and also experience but for me I feel that prices are back to where they were 10 yrs ago!
I've been doing nails since 1999 and qualified in 2002 in enhancements, like many of you I was unsure what to charge and did some for free, some for a fiver and then started about £15. I quickly moved up to €35 (moved to Ireland) and then €45 in my first 'real' job renting in a tanning shop 5 yrs ago. I have trained and trained and trained - not a year goes by where I dont attend a class and proudly hanging on my wall are 15 of my best certificates. My pricing is that of a Master and that of an Educator €70 full set. (last yr average price was 60) My salon looks great and is everything I could ever wish for in a modern nailbar.................. so I go for a little walk around town and see the new breed of NSS (which over here come form our neighbours in the East and not the far east!) and low and behold the average price of nails is €45. I have thought about a reduction as yes times have changed but for me to go back to such pricing is ridiculous and I feel I would have to cut corners to get there.

On previous post I have heard: 'I paid that price when I got married', Gigi said she started at £35, The girl who had the client tell her she was off to NSS as they were cheaper, implying she wasnt competitive!

I know I'm going on a bit but really what is going on? how can you stay competitive? are there really enough clients out there that will pay for a top end product? I believe yes............. at the same time I dont wanna be known as 'the expensive place'................... I'd love to hear your thoughts

I think this is a complex issue - look at the economy and how prices rise and fall, recession. People working in NSS usually those from abroad have a different work culture - working longer and harder for much less. (that is not a dig at us!) Competition also can affect pricing. However so does quality and I think this is where you have to base it on if you want to be at the higher end of the market. I would not refer myself to the expensive place but the place that offers quality customer service and products. :)

Good point, I dont refer to myself in that way but would be embarrased to think others thought that and it stopped them coming in - I dont want to be a niche salon.

Also I want to add that after reading pages n pages of another thread I do not want this to be about NSS bitching, I merely would like to know why some techs are so cheap or are lowering their prices at the moment.

Good point, I dont refer to myself in that way but would be embarrased to think others thought that and it stopped them coming in - I dont want to be a niche salon.

Also I want to add that after reading pages n pages of another thread I do not want this to be about NSS bitching, I merely would like to know why some techs are so cheap or are lowering their prices at the moment.

Because they don't know the first thing about running a business, that's why! They think being cheap will attract custom ... which it may for a short time, but what sort of custom???? Then they become trapped and too frightened to price themselves realistically. Crazy what is going on there.

Here in Spain I would say the average price for a good technician is 50.00€ which is realistic.

From my point of view, which of course may not be of much help to you because I'm far away, but anyway, recession is everywhere and everywhere people discount things.

In my area there are (even reputable! let alone rubish ones) salons that cut their prices almost to the half! All of that with excuse - it's crisis, let's not lose customers, we all have to tighten our belts. Some of them even started working with rubish cheap products, to lower the costs.

And I think, for some of them, that was an 'opportunity' to 'invisibly' dump the prices down in order to gather more clients or steal them from competitions, you know, like they twisted that 'crisis is oportunity to win' saying in completely wrong way.

But, every action has it's conseqence, and therefore, lower prices - got clients who catch only on discount and freebies and will run away with the next discount sign. Some of the old clients say - if you can work on this price, what the hell was I paying for last year? :eek: Also, those who changed to inferior products, messed up their quality and clients trust.

But I did not lower my prices and am not thinking about it. One who hasn't got 2 coins for something, wont have 1 coin either.

This is my second year of business and in spite of recession, bad standard and mass media panic all around, I'm getting busier and busier.

I'm not saying anything new...I know :green:
I just wanted to put your mind at ease a little :hug:

Its funny how times do change.... when I first started out on my own (space renting not being employed) the price for a full set was anything from £40-£50 now 8 years later it can be anything from £25-£30 for a good quality salon!
I think everyone has got scared of the competition and the price war with NSS

I dont see NSS as competition... they arent... they are the low end of the market.... and I'd like to hope that we fall into the higher end of the market
I haven't ever lowered my prices for full sets or maintenance in 12 years... my prices go up to reflect increased costs of products, my experience etc...

I think that its such a shame that people think they should only charge £25 for a full set that's half of my one colour full set ... not p&w or design... but one colour sculpts with polish
I charge more for maintenance than that
I know I do have experience and am well qualified etc.. but even so we shouldnt as an industry except that lower than £30 is the norm....
I was only saying to one of the girls who rents space from me that she needs to be putting her prices up but she is worried to.... she charges from £35

I do realise that different areas do have different price brackets, but due to everyone charging too little it has got worse and worse

I have to admit.... I was worrying about the economic down turn and losing clients.... one of my clients had decided to take a break after 8 years(I paniced inside) but she hasnt gone to another salon or any where cheaper she just wanted to see how she got on with out her nails for a while........and I have had 2 new ladies this week to make up for it, they are willing to pay my prices and both have rebooked.... so I must be doing something right and panic over!

Please don't undersell your selves as it affects the whole industry in the long run.... with silly price wars and thinking its okay to charge pitance....

Its a bit like I could buy a jacket from Primark and it will only last one season or you could get it from M&S and it will keep going for years.... you do I believe get what you pay for!:wink2:

Last edited:
One who hasn't got 2 coins for something, wont have 1 coin either.

Absolutely!

I find it much more beneficial to offer an upgraded service rather than a discounted price. Like if you normally charged more for parafin, include it for free on your slower days. This also gives regulars an opportunity to try the add-ons with nothing to lose to them.

I've also had alot of success offering a discount for a client who buys a package of services. We're in a seasonal area, so in the winter time our clients can purchase a series of 20 services for the price of 10, only to be used during the slow times. This gives us some cash up-front to get through the winter, yet allows us to still take advantage of the busy summer months.

In nearly 10 years I have not once put my prices down, they have increased by £10 (so on average £1 per year) I do, however, like to give away my add on treatments for free...eg - I usually add on an extra £5 for glitter tips so occassionally I run an offer saying 'free glitter tips with every full set' it always goes down well :)

Thanks for the replies and rep points geeks. I refuse to put my prices down and instead have been offering my natural set as an alternative (€55). They are just as good and as I airbrush feel the smiles are great. They have they choice to change at anytime to pink n whites and I explain this service is cost effective as I only need to refill them each time.

I do find it strange that prices have come down over the years and I'm delighted to hear some of you are with me with not comprimising. I will look at my prices and maybe a sliding scale is in order - if they go to my nail tech 1-3yrs exp then we will charge a smaller price, if they request me then the prices are same.

Jessebruner I def will upgrade some of my services

Latest posts

Back