Opinions about this starter course for me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinNails

Reaction score
Hello, im newly registered but have been reading this forum for weeks and have found it great for information! I have no beauty training but would like to start my training to become a nail technician. At the moment i cannot travel far for courses for private reasons id rather not disclose and cannot stay away from home either. So yeh as i said id like to start my training, id love to do more courses in the future further away so i can train with the real top brands but i dont see that happening in the near future so my options are pretty limited! Home courses are a no no, i just cant see me learning it all from a DVD :eek: no offense to anyone who has/is but i just dont think its for me. However ive been reading, reading and reading some more about all sorts of courses and what they must involve and have found one i think "may" be good to start building my skills with. But id like to see what you geeks say as even though ive read alot im still pretty clueless!

The course is 4 days in classroom, 3 weeks practising on clients/trainer hand and then a fourth day for more classroom work and the final assessment.

What it includes:

1. You WILL need to complete a home study exam
  2. and one case study with photos
  3. Health Hygiene & Safety
  4. Basic Anatomy & Physiology
  5. Nail/Skin Disorders & Diseases, contra indications
  6. Implements & Products
  7. Electrical equipment
  8. Preparation of room
  9. Consultations & Record cards
  10. Benefits of Manicure & Pedicure
  11. Manicure Procedure
  12. Massage Movements
  13. Preparation of natural nail
  14. Demonstration of application of tips & Products
  15. Practical with students covering Gel & Acrylic or Fibreglass & Silk
  16. Rebalance & in fills
  17. Removal of Artificial Nails
  18. Pedicure procedure
  19. Free hand nail art
  20. Troubleshooting
  21. Questions & Answers
  22. Workbooks & Tests
  23. Aftercare Advice

and the course is accredited( i know it doesnt mean anything at times with alot of courses lol) with:
* BABTAC (British Association of Beauty Therapists & Cosmetology)
* Professional Beauty Direct
* Guild of Holistic Therapists
* Guild of Beauty Therapists
* Guild of Nail Technicians
* ABT (Associated Beauty Therapists)

Yes i understand its not a hugely amazing course and i cant go of and be a nail tech as soon as i take it but would it be a good foundation? I just really want to get started but in my difficult curcumstances it wont happen for years if i wait to travel or go to college :cry:

Last edited:
I think it looks like it covers a lot, which is good but is the thing that bothers me. Short courses in some peoples opinions are not a good thing, but I think they are ok and if you are going to build on it as a foundation. Nevertheless, it sounds like A LOT to cover in 4 days to then go and practice in 3 weeks. You have not mentioned who the course is with, which is a very important part of your choice. There are a lot of companies that will look good form the outset in that they cover alot, but if it is in a short space of time or too cheap to be true-in my opinion they are not worth it. It will only mean you will end up paying twice as you will not learn enough to then go out and charge the public for your services and also you wont have the confidence to either.
Personally, its up to you of course, if you feel this is the only way you can begin your adventure into the nail industry thats fine, if you think you can wait a while and go with a reputable company as you say, then wait.
Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck-beauty is a great industry to be in.
x

im afraid i am going to say no.

that is too much to cover thoroughly in the amount of time you are given.

however it may be a good introduction to nails to see if it is something that interests you. it will not give you enough time to become proficient enough to offer the treatments to a professional standard.

it all depends on your expectations really.

its very gratifying to see that you are doing some research and are interested in what industry professionals think though, so good luck with whatever you choose to go ahead with.

There are lots of ways to get started in the industry of nails (as you have found out) and a start is just that and only that .. a start!

You have intelligently looked around .. it all seems to be good info and with the right credentials so if it suits you then go for it. It would be better if you were working on live models rather than just the Nail Trainer!! Still it is a start and that is what you are after.

Many moons ago I taught hundreds of new nail technicians on the 3 day Foundation course with CND and guess what ?? .. it was a start and we trained the best nail technicians in the industry today and they still are!!! :hug:

Latest posts

Back