Opinions please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katherine21

Reaction score
hi, ive just finished my set of nails im entering into a competition. the rules said no gel finish on l &p so i have buffed them to finish. also no oil was allowed so here are my photos. please tell me what you think. its my first time :rolleyes:
xx
i dont know how to show them so i have saved them on my profile, hope you can find them xx

here is one of her pics.
what category are you entering?

it is young nail tech of the year, only as its the first one ive come across. hopefully salon nail challenge next time. x

it is young nail tech of the year, only as its the first one ive come across. hopefully salon nail challenge next time. x
the first things i noticed was that your smile lines arent very crisp and that the white doesnt look that bright.its difficult to say too uch about your nails as i dont know what they are looking for eg. deep smile lines, c curve etc...
theres lots of nail comps that require different things try going on www.professionalbeauty.co.uk and you should find more on there.x

Your smile line is too far up the nail bed,
if this is because your model has short nail beds you need to find someone with nice long slender nail beds as this is one of the main things that is judged at a comp,
another main thing they judge is the polish finish, you need to have a very small free margin around the nails eponychium and side walls that are free from polish,
you have filed away the lower arch on some of them and you need a deeper C curve,
please don't think i am picking on you because i am not in no way shape or form doing that, im just trying to point out what the judges will see when they look at them,
they have a lovely shine though and the line of light is good on most of them, hth :hug:

Last edited:
Lovely pics.. I would take the sides in a bit on your nails and use less white and have more pink on the nail and be careful when you apply your red polish that you don't forget to "cap" the ends with the polish .. well done for posting:hug:

thanks for your thoughts, now i wish i could do them again:irked:. i noticed myself that the definition between pink and white isnt 100%. why could this be? i tried to get the smile line as crisp as poss?!?!?!
xx

thanks for your thoughts, now i wish i could do them again:irked:. i noticed myself that the definition between pink and white isnt 100%. why could this be? i tried to get the smile line as crisp as poss?!?!?!
xx

You could be working too wet or not letting the bead sit on the nail for a few seconds before working it into place, hth

Your smile line is too far up the nail bed,
if this is because your model has short nail beds you need to find someone with nice long slender nail beds as this is one of the main things that is judged at a comp,
another main thing they judge is the polish finish, you need to have a very small free margin around the nails eponychium and side walls that are free from polish,
you have filed away the lower arch on some of them and you need a deeper C curve,
please don't think i am picking on you because i am not in no way shape or form doing that, im just trying to point out what the judges will see when they look at them,
they have a lovely shine though and the line of line is good on most of them, hth :hug:
Hi Katherine,
As well as what Lou has said they also look rather flat no apex in a few of them.
It could just be the camera angle.
I would get yourself a model with longer slender nail beds for competition work hun. As the white to pink ratio is too much.
Well done for posting though.
Just keep practising and you will get there:hug:
Jen xx

Latest posts

Back