opinions wanted please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlebopeep

Reaction score
hi!just a little help please,opened my own small salon at the end of last year,its going good and have started building my clients up.Now here's the problem i have to take a few days off in july,and as i work on my own, was thinking of closing for the 3-4 days, and just letting my clients know in advance, but someone i know said to employ a girl for the few days,not too gone on this idea as i have worked so hard to build up clients and they are used to me working on them, any help would be appreciated as i've been thinking about this for ages:Scared:

It's a difficult situation to be in as you work alone, I would do extra hours either side of you're 'time off' and explain to clients that this is a well earned break! Loyal & valued clients will understand this, give them plenty of notice & I'm sure they will be flexible! The ones that think you should be there 365 days a year to serve them aren't worth worrying over! :) hth xx

just close the salon for 3/4days! it will keep your mind at ease! youll be worrying if shes open up ok and then locked the door probably? did she remember to close all the windows? did she switch everything off? etc! and if you dont know her or worked with her before how do you know what her standard of work is? its 3 days! im sure your clients arnt going to be banging the door down to try find you! if you let them know in advance im sure it will be all ok :D x

I would not bring in anyone else, its your name on the door and its you that people are used to and its your quality of work that is bringing the clients back again and again.

As someone has already said so long as your clients have enough notice they can book accordingly.

Close up and enjoy your 4 days.

Jacqui xx

I work on my own too and whenever I need time off I just close up. I change the answer phone message to say when I'm back and let all my regulars no in advance and they just book around. Everyone has to have time off! Your loyal clients as said will understand. I personally wouldn't take any one on just for 4days, they might pinch ur clients or not write down every client etc. Xx

Definitely close.
At the end of the day we all need time off (whether it be a holiday or for personal reasons).

CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE - for your own peace of mind.. its only 4 days!! Just enough time for clients to miss you a little bit! xx:biggrin:

I would close for sure!!
I also worked on my own to start with and never had a problem, I went to Thailand for 3 weeks and just put a note on the door and a message on answerphone and obviously told all my clients!! That was 3 yrs ago and my clients are still coming to me!! (Did have to work crazy hours before and after though!!)
Go away and enjoy your well deserved break xxx

I take 6-8 weeks off a year. I am human, I want holidays. I take them.

am off on thursday for 10 days.

Start telling your clients now, perhaps put a notice up too. Everytime they make an appointment remind them.

If you have email addresses email them.

I send out 300 emails out and let everyone know when I am going to be away when they make their appointments. The only time I've had anyone complain is when they are not regular and let me down by not turning up or being late, they are the "messers".

You will always get someone who is not happy but hey, they probably are like that with everything. Genuine clients will slot in, the fly-by-nights are the ones who let YOU down at a drop of a hat, so why put yourself out for them.

I've just had a week off. I made sure everyone knew I was going away in the month before and gave my injury clients chance to see me just before i left and booked them in as soon as I would be back at work. Everyone else fitted around the days either side of my break. Each and every 1 of my clients told me to enjoy my break and rest. How many of your clients never have a break?
Dont get anyone else in. You are the unique selling point in your business and clients probably wouldn't go to her anyway.

I'd definitely close up! I take three weeks off every August and my clients are used to this. In fact, I'm almost fully booked up for September as they all know they need to book early to get back in with me as soon as I get back. Hope you enjoy your break.

It's a difficult situation to be in as you work alone, I would do extra hours either side of you're 'time off' and explain to clients that this is a well earned break! Loyal & valued clients will understand this, give them plenty of notice & I'm sure they will be flexible! The ones that think you should be there 365 days a year to serve them aren't worth worrying over! :) hth xx

I totally agree!! I work on my own and i rent a room in a hair salon. I take time off during the school holidays and work just a few days. It is very hard but you need time off. Your loyal clients know how you work and will be flexible. You will have those who think you are there just for them but they will come and go. Your loyal clients are your bread and butter!! Just give plenty of notice and have a lovely holiday.:p

:hug:thank you,thank you,thank you to all the ppl that replied to this post, will be able to sleep way better tonight!!!gonna close it for the few days atleast wont have to worry while i'm away:D

Latest posts

Back