Opportunity - too good to miss?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caro

Reaction score
I'm looking an opportunity where by I would be renting a room within a very well known hairdressers solely doing spray tanning. There are 2 other rooms available and they would be let to a beauty therapist and a nail tech.

I am currently working 30 hrs a week in a local school and work my mobile business around school. The room would mean giving school up and becoming fully self-employed.

My funds are extremely limited at the moment and I know I don't have enough to upgrade my equipment and buy some retail. However, I don't want to miss this opportunity.

What do you think? :?:

I'm looking an opportunity where by I would be renting a room within a very well known hairdressers solely doing spray tanning. There are 2 other rooms available and they would be let to a beauty therapist and a nail tech.

I am currently working 30 hrs a week in a local school and work my mobile business around school. The room would mean giving school up and becoming fully self-employed.

My funds are extremely limited at the moment and I know I don't have enough to upgrade my equipment and buy some retail. However, I don't want to miss this opportunity.

What do you think? :?:

Anyone?

Do you think you could gain enough clients to make it successful? It's a really tough one, the one thing I miss about being employed is that guaranteed wage every month. If your funds are limited are you in a position to allow for slow periods? There is only you that will know if it's the right thing to do. Listen to your head and your heart x

I may get shot down for this by someone that has made it a successful business, however I have been renting a room now for 18 months doing both general beauty and spray tanning. I find that tanning is mostly seasonal and there are only a few clients that have them done regularly for nights out even though I constantly push the service and get very good feedback on the results of my tans.
Maybe you could keep your job and do a few days at the salon to build it up a bit first before taking the plunge?
Also if one of the rooms is to be taken by a beauty therapist you would need to make sure there is a clause whereby she cannot offer tans of any kind as this usually goes hand in hand.
Good luck with whatever you decide :)

I may get shot down for this by someone that has made it a successful business, however I have been renting a room now for 18 months doing both general beauty and spray tanning. I find that tanning is mostly seasonal and there are only a few clients that have them done regularly for nights out even though I constantly push the service and get very good feedback on the results of my tans.
Maybe you could keep your job and do a few days at the salon to build it up a bit first before taking the plunge?
Also if one of the rooms is to be taken by a beauty therapist you would need to make sure there is a clause whereby she cannot offer tans of any kind as this usually goes hand in hand.
Good luck with whatever you decide :)

I think this is a realistic post. It can take a while to build things up and I too find tans to be seasonal. Also mote towards the weekend than during the week

You need to offer more than just one treatment if you want to be fully employed. There are weeks where I do only maybe one or two tans; that's not enough to sustain a business!
This is not a opportunity; this is a disaster waiting to happen. Sorry!

Just did some quick maths for you, you would need to attract around a hundred clients every week to make a living at it.
Realistically, can that be done? I bow to superior experience because spraytans are not very popular in my salon, we only do a few a week.
Advertising wise, that means reaching out to 10000 people every week to get your 100 spraytan clients.
Rather you than me.

Also ask yourself this, why has the busy, well known salon not bought a gun/kit and employed a girl on minimum wage to do it?

as already said,

if you giving up a full time job and expect and need to have the same wage coming in, don't do it.

this week I had 5 people miss appointments with me!

I also find spray tanning seasonal, last week only did about 3 but did 6 Friday afternoon due to the change in weather! Will be quiet again for while now but as it's one of many treatments it's ok. In the current climate I honestly doubt you would make anywhere near enough to survive, I know this isn't what you want to hear but i would keep your job in the school and build up your training to offer more services. good luck with your decisions xx

Seriously my darling you need to listen to the advice already given. There is just not enough business in spray tanning alone. If you are wanting to replace your salary from your job then I would say that this is not an opportunity really but could end up as a great big headache!

I would carry on the way you are for the time being really and let this one go! :D

In my experience there is no such thing as an "opportunity too good to miss"... Everything has it's downsides and frankly, I think this is one of those "nice to dream about, but doomed to failure" opportunities.

Tanning alone won't work. And if another beauty therapist is going to be there too, she'll most likely be doing spray tans as well... I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole personally!

Thank you for everyone's honest opinions - I think I already knew the answer but didn't like the answer!

To be honest - the thought of spray tanning all day every day all day is a little off putting if nothing else...

Think I will give it a miss for now x

I really wish you the best of luck with whichever road you decide to take x

just think of the brown nostrils every day....I'd leave it...

xx

I really think you have made a brilliant decision my darling. It is much harder to decline an opportunity like this and I think you will make an amazing business woman having made this good solid decision.

Something else will turn up and you will be glad that you turned this down!

I wish you the very best of luck my darling! :D

Latest posts

Back