Opportunity??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilly T

Reaction score
I have had a bit of an opportunity put in my path and I was wondering what people's opinions were on it.

I asked opinions a while ago on whether to go with VTCT Acrylics (18 weeks) in September or a product based course (NSI, Ezflow, CND etc). In the end I resigned myself to VTCT even though it would take me longer and it would be a slower learning process etc.

Anyway, I have just found out that I am getting a tax rebate... :) It's not mega bucks but it's enough to do a foundation course. I've spoke to my other half and he's agreed that I can spend it on a course. But to make things worse I've discovered that if I signed up for the 30 week NVQ instead of 18 weeks VTCT in Acrylics I can get funding for it so it will be free other than my kit but it's a year long.

I am really, really tempted to go for a product based course. I know, obviously, I will by no means be competent and will need lots and lots and lots of practice etc., but at least I'll be able to start practicing sooner.

What do people think.. what would you do?

I did a year long vtct if you can get funding I would do it!!wy not do both and get 2 certificates?? College is great because you learn slowly and you have your class mates to practice on and compare notes. Im going to do conversion cources etc aswell and i think that all the education you can get is a bonus if its freeeee!! Good luck xx

I thought about doing both but I thought I might get fed up doing the year long course after I'd done the foundation course.. Why did you choose to do the VTCT first?

Because I new nothing about nails hadnt even had a set done before but I realy wanted to learn it so went and signed up for vtct manicure and pedicure and vtct nail tech. In college you get your certificate and then if you want to be a creative tech you convert and you can advertise as creative trained and use there logos etc..What system the college use is up to them like I said I didnt no that you could train in one system. I realy enjoyed college though and I did for hair aswell and if its free then take it!!!!!!xx Good luck xx:hug:

I have nearly finished the college course and I am really glad I took it. Because it is longer I think everything will sink in more (nail disorders, health and safety, promoting products, how to set up your own business, self employed, partner, sole trader etc.) There was a lot gone over in the course that I couldn't imagine being fitted into 5 days. I can imagine the 5 day course being good for individual practical learning though.

Although I am on a college course I also considered doing the 5 day course as well at the same time.

I'm not knocking one or the other, but I am definately glad I did the college course because I have stuck at it and feel that in itself is an achievment. Lots of other students have finished for one reason or another and at the end of it there are just the dedicated students left.

I have had a bit of an opportunity put in my path and I was wondering what people's opinions were on it.

I asked opinions a while ago on whether to go with VTCT Acrylics (18 weeks) in September or a product based course (NSI, Ezflow, CND etc). In the end I resigned myself to VTCT even though it would take me longer and it would be a slower learning process etc.

Anyway, I have just found out that I am getting a tax rebate... :) It's not mega bucks but it's enough to do a foundation course. I've spoke to my other half and he's agreed that I can spend it on a course. But to make things worse I've discovered that if I signed up for the 30 week NVQ instead of 18 weeks VTCT in Acrylics I can get funding for it so it will be free other than my kit but it's a year long.

I am really, really tempted to go for a product based course. I know, obviously, I will by no means be competent and will need lots and lots and lots of practice etc., but at least I'll be able to start practicing sooner.

What do people think.. what would you do?

Gilly, go with what you know will be the best route for you chick.

There has been some debates on quick courses (1,2,3,4,5 days etc) if you feel you have the ability to learn it all in a few days and would feel better doing it that way go for it.

IF you feel your knowledge will be greater doing it over X amount of weeks then do that.

There is skill builders and one to ones you can book on to to help iron out any probs you may have. I myself did 4 days over 2 weeks and then did a one to one and a conversion along with comp training and i would like to think my nails are ok lol

I know its not just about nails and infections, diseases H&S etc come into it but you have already done mani pedi so will have a good understanding of that already to help you on your way.

Follow your heart chick, your one fab person and you will do well whichever you choose :hug:

Gilly, go with what you know will be the best route for you chick.

There has been some debates on quick courses (1,2,3,4,5 days etc) if you feel you have the ability to learn it all in a few days and would feel better doing it that way go for it.

IF you feel your knowledge will be greater doing it over X amount of weeks then do that.

There is skill builders and one to ones you can book on to to help iron out any probs you may have. I myself did 4 days over 2 weeks and then did a one to one and a conversion along with comp training and i would like to think my nails are ok lol

I know its not just about nails and infections, diseases H&S etc come into it but you have already done mani pedi so will have a good understanding of that already to help you on your way.

Follow your heart chick, your one fab person and you will do well whichever you choose :hug:

Aww.. thanks :hug:

I'm going to have to think some more. I just know that I will become impatient doing the longer college course. I will enjoy the extra time and practice etc but I just know that I can get a little bored.

Plus if a couple of the girls from my mani/pedi course are on it, it will do my head in. They are just not serious about it and mess about most of the time.

I'm really being swayed to the short course.. might take Sarah's advice and do both, 4/5 day first and then start the college on in September too. hmmm....

Thanks for the advice x

Thanks everyone for replying. Your thoughts are really appreciated. :hug:

I obviously need to give it a lot more thought. There are good reasons for each route.. just got to figure out which will be best for me. x

Thats the reason i did the short course, i know that with my concentration i would have jacked it in had i gone for a longer one.

I easily get bored and fidgety when sat on my back side for long periods of time. Im more hands on, i like to get stuck in from day one...very eager to learn and been more of a hands on person i pick things up far better and quicker than sat watching someone scrawl on a blackboard or read notes for hours and hours at a time.

Good luck chick in your decision :hug:

MY OPINION WOULD BE TO GO WITH REPUTATION for your company course and do that .... at least this way, you will get excellent training which has reputation and recommendation behind it.

Later you can do the VCTC thing if you feel the need ... BUT ... the quality of teaching varies considerably and in my experience, the quality of the training ind the product line you choose are far more important than the lottery that is college education.

MY OPINION WOULD BE TO GO WITH REPUTATION for your company course and do that .... at least this way, you will get excellent training which has reputation and recommendation behind it.

Later you can do the VCTC thing if you feel the need ... BUT ... the quality of teaching varies considerably and in my experience, the quality of the training ind the product line you choose are far more important than the lottery that is college education.

Thanks Geeg..

Product line is another reason I am swaying a bit. The college I'm at now can't decide which product line they are going with. I have been reading lots of threads on here about which systems people prefer and to be honest there is a real mix. People have said which systems they use and that they love it but not everyone says exactly why. If they only use one system then they have no comparison to make to substantiate why they love it..

Which product line to go for is also posing a problem for me but then that's another thing altogether. :)

Thanks Geeg..

Product line is another reason I am swaying a bit. The college I'm at now can't decide which product line they are going with. I have been reading lots of threads on here about which systems people prefer and to be honest there is a real mix. People have said which systems they use and that they love it but not everyone says exactly why. If they only use one system then they have no comparison to make to substantiate why they love it..

Which product line to go for is also posing a problem for me but then that's another thing altogether. :)

Doesn't matter what product the college uses if a good educator does not go along with it.

If you are interested, CND is the ONLY nail company to have ever won an award for the best industry trainingt (in fact they have won it twice). To add, CND are the only nail company to have ever even been nominated for this award!

So if you want the best education PLUS the best products I will leave it to you to fill in the blank!! :lol: If you want info on courses then ring 08452106060 ... they will be happy to chat with you about your career path or to send you information.

Doesn't matter what product the college uses if a good educator does not go along with it.

If you are interested, CND is the ONLY nail company to have ever won an award for the best industry trainingt (in fact they have won it twice). To add, CND are the only nail company to have ever even been nominated for this award!

So if you want the best education PLUS the best products I will leave it to you to fill in the blank!! :lol: If you want info on courses then ring 08452106060 ... they will be happy to chat with you about your career path or to send you information.

My curiosity got the better of me on this front, already got the training brochure :)

Latest posts

Back