Panic is setting in!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minxymax

Reaction score
Hiya!!

Im starting to panic!!! The reason being next tuesday i am starting in a new salon, its a hairdressers and im going to be doing all the nails there.. I organised it about a month ago, and i thought that by this stage (less than a week to go) my appointment book would have been red hot... Well its not and im absolutely panicking!!
I have put posters in both of the salons (they also have one up the road), i have put pricelists and flyers (showing what i do) into both. I have also handed flyers out yesterday to all the local businesses.. I have put adverts onto free advertising websites and nothing... I have a few appointments but they are from my mobile who i have persuaded to have their appointments in the salon... BUt no new ones, the girls from the salon have said t me that will be a different story once im in there and people can see me... I just hope that they are right as i have spent a fortune on things to make it look good and that i have all the correct stock etc....
Have i missed something? why isnt my phone ringing?
Any advise would really be appreciated as im pulling my hair out!!!
Thanks!! xxx:Scared: p.s i have also done a website, trying to cover all bases, what do u reckon? is it ok? thanks!!!

hi its so nice to hear someone had the same problem as me!! i recently set up in a hairdressers exactly the same as you and i was new to the area so i knew no one. i flyer ropped advertised posters recomend a friend and all the rest. The first 2-3 weeks were dead for me and i had a max of probably 3 clients a week. ive been there for almost 2 months now and it seems to me the way i have gotten buisier is through word of mouth! i wouldnt say my appointment book is overflowing but its building up and i can see it getting busyier! i think that you can advertise and advertise but really all it takes is a feww really good sets of nails and word will spread that you're there. ive found that being in the hairdressers has helped because i pray on the hair clients and talk to them hand them a flyer offer them a small discount....i hope this has helped but try not to panic and role with it it might be slow to begin with but i promise you once words out that youre there and your providing a great service you wont have time to think!!! good luck!! xXx

My advice? NEVER discount to attract business ... there are so many reasons why.
1. It sends out the message you are desperate
2. It sends out the message that you are worth less than you are.
3. It makes you look cheap
4. Professionals do not offer discounts
5. It attracts the sort of clients you do not want .... I could go on

Your work will be your best advertising as we all know, and word of mouth when people are pleased and satisfied with what you have done.

Why would people book someone with whom they are not familiar and whose work they do not know? The girls in the salon are correct ... when you get in there you will start to make your mark. The best of luck to you.

Thankyou to you both for your reply's!! I understand what you're both saying and i appreciate both of your opinions!!x
Good job you said what you did geeg cos ive been sat here thinking about desperate ideas, ie discounts and yes youre right that ill make myself look desperate!!
It'll be fine, PMA, its just last minute nerves!!

max x

I'm sure you do not have any reason for panic or nerves but we all have them for one reason ... we all worry that we may fail. You won't.

If you have chosen a good salon with an already good reputation and a good business, then I'm sure you will fit right in.

Nerves are also part of excitement. It is always uncomfortable to try something new but without trying you get nowhere .... you know what they say, "keep doing what you are doing and you will only get what you've got." You HAVE to step out into the unknown to move upward ...

I really do wish you al the best. Keep your nerve and do the best job you know how for every client every day ... over deliver on the experience they expect ... you'll do fine. x

hi did you contact your local paper (free press release) to let the public know you will be working (new treatments) in the hairdresses its free press for you and the salon owner, get them to come and take a pic of u and the owner at the salon. :) good luck

I think that is what it is, stepping out of my comfort zone etc.. But this is what i really want and thats why im doing it and i will do my best for my clients so that they have a five star experience... I've just got to keep repeating it to myself over and over again!! lol!!
Sharon, that's a great idea, i hadnt thought of that, the salon wants to put me into the local top quality magazine, and for me to pay half which i think would roughly cost about £200 which im a bit dubious about paying at the mo cos ive paid out so much out. So that is a really good alternative, free really appeals to me!! Thankyou!!
I shall let you all know how i get on!!!
Take care Max xx

Don't worry, you'll get there.

I agree that once people see you, they'll be perfectly happy to book in.

Make sure you do the hairdressers nails too (free) so that they can promote you.

October is quite often a quiet month, i'm sure you'll be booming in December.

Thanks flawless, i got told that apparently november and april are the best months to open a salon as ladies are thinking about christmas and in april theyre thinking about the summer. Even if thats not right which hopefully it is it was still a fab comment , made me think positive thoughts!!
Ive got to say a huge thankyou to all of new friends on here, as all of your comments have made me feel so much better and confident. At one point i was thinking oh god what have i got myself into (again) lol!! But now i am up for a challenge and i know its going to take time but im up for it!! If any of you ever need me to boost you and give you some PMA like you all have for me, i am always here!!! Youre all stars!!!

Max xx

Latest posts

Back