Patch test eyelash extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was taught patch tests are not necessary!
I just explain to my clients that it is not necessary as nothing comes into contact with the skin, however if they feel they have sensitive eyes ect and would like a patch test then i would happily do one, nobody has had one yet! x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

I have done skin testing , 2 of my clients have had lashes for a year and all of a sudden reacted to them but have been fine for the past year. Anyone can have a reaction at any time weather been skin tested or not

I was trained with Lash FX and was told to always patch test new clients. The test is to put the adhesive behind 1 ear and the primer behind the other. We weren't taught to place the SP lashes on the lashes for the test x

We apply 2 or 3 lashes to each eye for a patch test. We don't agree with applying lash glue to the skin. Best thing to do is check with insurance if unsure, they will either tell you to follow your training or manufacturer recommendation xxx

Yep I contacted mine today and that is what they told me to do also. Disclaimers do not stand up in court xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I was taught by eyelash emporium and the patch test was two lashes fixed to two lashes, never to skin. The glue is classed as an irritant by eu law and the chemical in it reacts with water so in theory you shouldn't react, but you could do. Personally, I think eyes are a really sensitive area as anything wrong could compromise a major part of their life. I'd always patch test but I probably wouldn't say that if I wasn't taught that way!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

What would you girls suggest with being mobile ? I do always ask the client if there eyes r sensitive in ant way or if they have had them on before if they haven't I will test . As tough know with being a busy mobile hair and lash therapist it can b hard to travel to every client and test before each time xxx

What would you girls suggest with being mobile ? I do always ask the client if there eyes r sensitive in ant way or if they have had them on before if they haven't I will test . As tough know with being a busy mobile hair and lash therapist it can b hard to travel to every client and test before each time xxx

Whether it's hard or not, it needs to be done I'm afraid. I too am mobile and I've calculated my prices to include the time required for patch test. At the end of the day you will not be insured, so if they sue you when they go blind, you'll kick yourself.

This is very true. How much extra do you charge x

I asked my insurance yesterday and they said they don't require a patch test but advise you do what you were trained to do but not to use disclaimers cos they don't stand up in court. My trainer said to do a patch test but if the customer said they didn't want one or was a walk in that was fine as long as they sign a disclaimer. So now I'm just confused.

I asked my insurance yesterday and they said they don't require a patch test but advise you do what you were trained to do but not to use disclaimers cos they don't stand up in court. My trainer said to do a patch test but if the customer said they didn't want one or was a walk in that was fine as long as they sign a disclaimer. So now I'm just confused.

Insurance said do as you were trained but to disclaimer. Trainer says to test unless you get a disclaimer. You already know the disclaimer is worthless so you are only left with one option......patch test ;-)

This is very true. How much extra do you charge x

I charge £50 for sp lashes and take a £5 deposit when visiting to do the patch test, so if they don't go ahead I've at least covered my petrol. Tbh, it's usually existing clients that book them while they're having another treatment so I'll patch test them at the time.

Glitter box... this is exactly how I feel .. lol. Trainer says no need and insurance says follow manufactures instructions bit none mention testing

:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr: Patch test debate again

I am gobsmacked that training companies can get their courses accredited without recommending patch testing.

I wish I had taken pictures of my eyes when I took a reaction

They were swollen shut, leaking, gunky and the skin on the lid dried up and peeled off. I couldn't work for a week.

If I had been patch tested I would have taken a minor reaction and wouldn't have gone on to have the full set applied.

Doing a patch test is never foolproof. However, it WILL give an indication of whether or not a client may potentially react.

Of course you have to go on the guidelines of your insurance. However, use common sense.

This is essentially superglue you are using around the eye. Ok, it isn't exactly the same product, but the active ingredient cyanoacrylate is what is in superglue.

If there is a possibility a client may react, isn't it good practice to do what you can to avoid the risk?

Last edited:
Insurance said do as you were trained but to disclaimer. Trainer says to test unless you get a disclaimer. You already know the disclaimer is worthless so you are only left with one option......patch test ;-)

Oh yes I definitely intend to patch test. I was just a bit surprised that the insurance company don't require it and a bit confused about what to do if a customer doesn't want one- just refuse to do lashes? Is that what everyone else does?. I know I've chosen not to get hair dye patch tests in the past because it involves me schlepping across town to get the test then going back again a couple of days later for the actual treatment.

I wasn't taught to do a patch test as we were told that the glue doesnt touch the skin. On my sensitive clients though I do attach one small lash on either eye just to be on the safe side xxx

For sure . What form do you guys use for them to sign to prove they have been given a skin test . Was looking online to print one offbut can't seem to find one xxx

Oh yes I definitely intend to patch test. I was just a bit surprised that the insurance company don't require it and a bit confused about what to do if a customer doesn't want one- just refuse to do lashes? Is that what everyone else does?. I know I've chosen not to get hair dye patch tests in the past because it involves me schlepping across town to get the test then going back again a couple of days later for the actual treatment.

In short, yes, I politely refuse. My reputation and the health of my clients is far more important to me than £50!!

For sure . What form do you guys use for them to sign to prove they have been given a skin test . Was looking online to print one offbut can't seem to find one xxx

Have a look at www.lashbase.co.uk. Under the information tab are lots of downloadable forms including patch test forms etc x

Sent from my AT100 using SalonGeek

Do any of you guys use a disclaimer ? If the clients are offered a skin test but refuse one? X

Latest posts

Back