Pedicures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisajayne

Reaction score
Hi

I just did a manicure / pedicure course the other day.

Just having a look at other posts on here about pedicures and most people seem to remove dead skin, but none of that was covered in our course. Do you think this is something which SHOULD be offered as part of a pedicure or would I get away without including this side of it (as I hate feet)!

I could offer
a) shape, buff, polish nails
b) same as above but also with massage and cuticle work

What do you think?

Thanks

I think that it is a real shame that your course had huge gaps in it!
Could you contact the teacher and tell her that this is something that you wear expecting to learn?

I'm guessing that you did the foot massage part you could use an exfoliating foot scrub for this part but a foot file / or some kind callous remover I would think you should have been shown a demo for!

hi there!

i would definatley include the dead skin removal using a foot rasp. i would get back in touch with your course trainer. whenever i get somebody in for a pedicure and ask them if there is any concerns they have with their feet, they all say hard skin on the bottom of their feet. i think that hard skin removal is as important as the cuticle work or shaping the nails.
and if you dont like feet, then why are you doing pedicures? if you want to offer pedicures then you have to get on with and include everything in the pedicure. you cant miss out things because you dont like feet

Rachel xx

I am doing my pedicure course at the moment and what my tutor said why leave something out and cut corners if offering a service.
Its the same with manicure i have been shown to use heated mitts and massage and alot of places dont do this.Once i have got my certificate i will want to carry out all i have learned and do a good job and carry out the "delux" manicures and pedicures

I wouldn't cut out that part of your pedicures. As rachirv said, it is the removal of hard skin that is most important to a lot of clients.

And don't worry about not liking feet, I used to HATE them! But once you do a few, you will get used to them and your confidence will grow :)

I find the Callus Peel by Welcalm is fantastic.

Just leave on for 10 mins & scrape off, no airborne foot filings, no cutting, just lovely smooth skin once its scraped off into a tissue.

I just remember hearing somewhere that if you can smell something you are breathing in particles of the substance.
I don't fancy breathing in someone else's foot scrapings, & that includes my husbands!!!!!

Callus Peel in the orange box, comes with a nice moisturiser too.By Welcalm. Beauty Select Ltd.
Not sure if this is still the right No Think it may have changed but can't quite remember .01733200678

I also file away dead skin during a pedicure!! I think its a must xx

Gosh, if I went for a pedi and the therapist didn't pay a lot of attention to making the bottoms of my feet lovely and smooth, I'd be VERY put out... In fact, I wouldn't class a pedi without hard skin removal as a pedicure at all - this is what I market as a file & polish! When you talk to clients about what they wish to achieve from their pedicure, smoothing of the feet/dealing with the hard skin is their most popular reply - and in my experience this is best done by filing of the feet AND using a quality foot scrub/exfoliant afterwards. Hope this is helpful and that you can come to enjoy giving pedicures - the results are very satisfying!

My advice is: if you hate feet, don't do pedicures. IMHO, clients deserve a nail pro who loves what they do. It's not wrong that you hate feet, just leave pedicure services to someone else.

Best of luck to you! :)

Last edited:
I would say it was a crucial part of the pedicure service and what most clients want. I don't do them personally but it is an important part of the "routine" that my girls do on clients.

Recently, I helped a local college out and had a student do a pedi on me and was amazed at what they were or weren't teaching!

BTW, I hated feet when I first started out in the massage world and was further amazed when I took up reflexology......you actually soon get used it them, honest.

Just seen the link above from 'Pooh8bear' with regard to the CALLUS PEEL. Beauty Select Ltd. have moved premises and their phone no. 01942 815164. They have a new web site now which looks great too but you do have to register to see the prices and have to be a qualified beauty therapist as the product is for professional use only. Fab product and does the job of removing the callus!!

:)

Do you guys charge extra for using Callus Peel or absorb the cost in the price of your pedis? Do you use it in all pedis or just your deluxe ones?

Thanks x

Just seen the link above from 'Pooh8bear' with regard to the CALLUS PEEL. Beauty Select Ltd. have moved premises and their phone no. 01942 815164. They have a new web site now which looks great too but you do have to register to see the prices and have to be a qualified beauty therapist as the product is for professional use only. Fab product and does the job of removing the callus!!

:)

Thanks for that luckylucky, I thought that No was out of date.
Great stuff isn't it.
Yes MOOmin I add on extra for it, sometimes need 2 packets to one client, if the client is in need on the heel, ball of foot & round the side of big toe. This is why I was wondering if it was possible to get it another way as it gets quite expensive when you need 2 packets.

Thanks Pooh8bear - I'll look into it! x

Latest posts

Back