Pedicurist/chiropodist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Footwoman again you are digging up threads from 2006 and replying to them, yes they are still relavant but why not start a thread to find out the working ways of nail techs 2009?

Hi all,
Still finding my way around this site. Thought I was on new threads, apols.
footwoman.

I am still curious as to how the hard skin scrapers that have been described are sterilized between clients?
regards
Footwoman.
I use a new foot file for each pedi client, give it to them to to take away for 'homework' and ask them to bring it with them for their next appointment, they always bring it back, not always done their homework though lol.....no cross contamination there.

I use a footsie bath with disposable liners, so no vigorous cleaning/sanitising required between clients, again no cross contamination.

Metal tools santised in Barbicide.

For nail filing I use a sanistied (used on finger nails) file but always bin it after use on toe nails.

I don't think anyone here is trying to replace the services of a podiatrist, I know it takes 3 years at Uni to achieve this certification. We nail technicians and beauty therapists do what we do within the remit of our training and insurance cover to enhance the look of the foot, beautify it if you like.

However, there are many non standard salons (NSS) who do use scalpel blades to remove dry/hard skin and cause problems for the unsuspecting public, but that's another story.

Last edited:
Dear All,
I am posting here as a Chiropodist/Podiatrist to respond to questions raised about treatment limitations.
I am a bit concerned that someone was advocating having a go at ingrowing toe-nails! A true ingrowing toenail is a medical condition best treated by a Chiropodist/Podiatrist who is able to intervene surgically under local anaesthetic if necessary.
Footwoman.

What is a "true ingrowing toenail"? Can you clarify when a nail technician can, or cannot relieve the pressure from a nail pressing on the sidewall of the nail? Of course I wouldn't do this if there was inflammation or broken skin, but what if the nail just hurts a little? Can we lift the piece up a little and cut it, tapering the nail in effect?

Hi All,
Thanks for clarifying what a NSS is. There is a salon I know of that looks like a really grubby place from the outside. They use some kind of blades to remove hard skin, that's why I asked.

A true ingrowing toenail is a condition where a sliver of nail pierces the skin in the nail sulci and sets up/inflammation/swelling.

I would not advocate lifting a nail or cutting it back down the sulci. The nail walls are continuous with the sterile matrix of the nail and form a natural seal to protect against foreign bodies/infection.

Cutting the nail back, can cause the nail walls to roll over the nail plate and cause an ingrowing toenail.

If the client has pain in the nail area there could be any number of causes, possibly not related to the nail itself, so it would be best to refer to a chiropodist.

Hope that helps
regards
Footwoman.

Latest posts

Back