People Shellac-ing themselves

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiggs81

Reaction score
In the last 2 weeks I've spoken to 4 people who have started doing shellac on themselves and friends. I have 2 friends ( one of whom used to come to me for her shellac) who have purchased a few colours and a cheap lamp from amazon and now do each other. I know it isn't the same as getting it done by a professional but how many other people are doing this rather than pay somebody.

In the last 2 weeks I've spoken to 4 people who have started doing shellac on themselves and friends. I have 2 friends ( one of whom used to come to me for her shellac) who have purchased a few colours and a cheap lamp from amazon and now do each other. I know it isn't the same as getting it done by a professional but how many other people are doing this rather than pay somebody.

I think you will find quite a few people do this, at my girls school some of the mums even have a shellac group!! They purchased the lamp and colours and have clubbed together to get new colours when they want a new colour! Their nails don't look great though lol and I keep ahead by being adventurous with the nail art :)

Just wait until they all start to have problems and allergies. And it's not just shellac they are buying from illegal sources either . they are doing it with lots of brands.

We have not had ONE client leave to do their own Shellac. Different sort of people I guess .. they wouldn't dream of not going to the salon. Last thing in the world they would want is to do thier own nails!! Neither do they use Face Book most of them ... they are women who like to pay noot try to get a cheap deal or do DIY. We went after that market and I'm glad we did. All of our regulars are like that.

Just wait until they all start to have problems and allergies. And it's not just shellac they are buying from illegal sources either . they are doing it with lots of brands.

We have not had ONE client leave to do their own Shellac. Different sort of people I guess .. they wouldn't dream of not going to the salon. Last thing in the world they would want is to do thier own nails!! Neither do they use Face Book most of them ... they are women who like to pay noot try to get a cheap deal or do DIY. We went after that market and I'm glad we did. All of our regulars are like that.

I'm with Gigi here my clients are ladies that are happy to pay to have a professional service. They wouldn't dream of sitting down and faffing about doing their own. I even get tempted to book in somewhere myself as I hate doing my own and I'm a pro!!!!!!

Let them get on with it. In my experience their stuff ends up in a cupboard untouched because they can't be bothered or the get problems. Put all your efforts into clients that want a regular professional service xx

To be honest I know loads of women who do this now, I've been there myself.

I think we have to remember that there will always be a market for people to try things at home to save money but there will also be people who want to have their nails done professionally.

I now accept that people want to save a buck or two by doing it at home with cheap products or go to someone who is cheaper than me so I now concentrate on those who do come to me. xxx

I have a friend who has done this, she is constantly texting asking why x, y and z has happened and I tell her because she still sends people to us for treatments.

There are home waxing systems, gel nails, facial products, everything you can think of but the beauty and nail industry is still thriving because no matter what people can do at home, they will never get the results that we, the professionals, give them

Xxxx

There are home waxing systems, gel nails, facial products, everything you can think of but the beauty and nail industry is still thriving because no matter what people can do at home, they will never get the results that we, the professionals, give them

Xxxx

Couldn't have said that better myself!! Xxx

It's just one of those things I had 2 regular clients who'd book every 2 weeks religiously and then decided to tell me that they have pitched together and bought one of the 'groupon' deals for gel polish. When telling me this they asked what should the kit contain? I replied I don't know the brand so I was unsure. One thing I will not do is tell clients the process if I know nothing about the brand.

Such as life and it happens but as already said above it'll end up in the cupboard etc as it'll be nothing like the professional service they have received from you previously.
Xxx

There will always be a certain category of people who will want to DIY things - home repair, car care and nail care. Before gel polish, these were the people who bought nail polish and did their nails at home. Most of them will buy the products (or a cheap copy), try for a while and give up. There will also be a group that takes it seriously - they buy the proper equipment, learn the skills and do a good job. Some of them will even become professionals (and isn't that how we all started?) These people are not a repudiation of the salon experience. Personally, I like doing my own nails; It fits into my crazy schedule. I like waiting until the house is quite and doing my gel polish every week, experimenting and perfecting different skills. For people that are into that, it's a lovely experience. But this DIY group is a tiny segment of the market. Industry estimates that this group for nail care is less than 1% of the market (in the US).

It's funny, after I started doing my own gel polish, my friends took notice and several tried to do it themselves as well. All but one now go to a salon - important because they didn't go to the salon before gel polish. By solving the big complaints women had about getting their nails done, gel polish has really expanded the market.

I am also on a couple of DIY boards and although a lot of people join, very few stick with it. The simple truth is that the equipment for gel polish is expensive and it's hard to get a professional looking result. So don't worry about it, the vast majority of those clients will be back and with a new appreciation of your skills.

Last edited:
My friends got bluesky stuff from eBay and a lamp from a local wholesaler who sells to the public and does hers now but they don't look good or last and when she goes away she comes back to me as she knows hers won't last.

It's annoying but they aren't professionals so just ignore it x

I'm going to present a different perspective, if that's ok.
Those of you who know me on Facebook will know that I no longer have a beauty salon. At the time I closed it, I was warned not to mention it on here in case it was thought that I was selling stuff.
Anyway, I sold all the contents, including all the shellac to a fellow salon owner (don't worry, she's a pro, and already uses it.) so when I wanted my nails done, I trotted over to her salon to have them 'professionally' done.
Sorry, but the paint job was rubbish. Messy, amateur and too thick. This was the head therapist. Very proud of her badge from the nail company who supplies shellac too.
So, the next time I want it, do I go back? Find another salon with someone who can properly paint a nail? Or do I bite the bullet and order a new lamp and stuff, and do it myself? (I'm fully qualified before you all jump)
So I would suggest that there's always the possibility that YOU are not giving the client what she wants or expects, so they may feel as though they would rather do it themselves.

Would I rather have Geeg do it, or do it myself? I'd pay whatever Geeg was asking to be truthful. I know damn well it would be immaculate. So it's not a question of me WANTING to do a DIY job.

I'm going to present a different perspective, if that's ok.
Those of you who know me on Facebook will know that I no longer have a beauty salon. At the time I closed it, I was warned not to mention it on here in case it was thought that I was selling stuff.
Anyway, I sold all the contents, including all the shellac to a fellow salon owner (don't worry, she's a pro, and already uses it.) so when I wanted my nails done, I trotted over to her salon to have them 'professionally' done.
Sorry, but the paint job was rubbish. Messy, amateur and too thick. This was the head therapist. Very proud of her badge from the nail company who supplies shellac too.
So, the next time I want it, do I go back? Find another salon with someone who can properly paint a nail? Or do I bite the bullet and order a new lamp and stuff, and do it myself? (I'm fully qualified before you all jump)
So I would suggest that there's always the possibility that YOU are not giving the client what she wants or expects, so they may feel as though they would rather do it themselves.

Would I rather have Geeg do it, or do it myself? I'd pay whatever Geeg was asking to be truthful. I know damn well it would be immaculate. So it's not a question of me WANTING to do a DIY job.

This brings up a really important point. There is a certain segment of the DIY market that turns DIY because of an unpleasant or inadequate experience with a professional. These are people who had their nails damaged, were treated badly, were overcharged, left with poorly done nails, etc. Although that's not been my experience (and as a former tech, I can probably spot and avoid bad techs), but it is a significant chunk of the DIY population. So we do need to consider whether we are giving the client what she wants.

Last edited:
Talking about DIY nails there's a groupon now for UV gel kit and nearly 500 people have bought it!!! See things like this all the time but has not affected my business, shellac all the way!

Interesting- however I am newly licenced - I'm sure my gel polish application isn't as professional as some others only for lack of experience-- what addvice do you give me? I find it fair to tell my client I'm new @ this - is it fair they pay me $25 for gel polish & pay a tech next to me with 10 yrs experience $25 also?
How is this handled?
I'm good @ what I do - but issues happen here & there- I try to trouble shoot - but usually boils down to "experience" & doing "it" over & over.....
Just curious- I feel like the client might sometimes think *they can do this themselves!

Talking about DIY nails there's a groupon now for UV gel kit and nearly 500 people have bought it!!! See things like this all the time but has not affected my business, shellac all the way!

As you say 500 people have bought .... The reason the 2 clients I mentioned who bought a 'groupon' deal stated that with 2 visits from me (doing both clients) equaled the same amount for the kit in which they can do it themselves.

I don't have a problem with DIY'ers if that's what they want to do that's what they want to do. The way I look at it is they earn their money and can spend it as and where they please!

The majority of my client don't want to do their own nails. I have a few DIY'ers but, interestingly, they still come to me for an important event or party.

We can't stop the DIY'ers but when they do come for a manicure we can make sure we do our usual professional work and they'll know the difference!

Interesting- however I am newly licenced - I'm sure my gel polish application isn't as professional as some others only for lack of experience-- what addvice do you give me? I find it fair to tell my client I'm new @ this - is it fair they pay me $25 for gel polish & pay a tech next to me with 10 yrs experience $25 also?
How is this handled?
I'm good @ what I do - but issues happen here & there- I try to trouble shoot - but usually boils down to "experience" & doing "it" over & over.....
Just curious- I feel like the client might sometimes think *they can do this themselves!

You practice your painting skills, over and over, until it's perfect first time every time. The cuticle should be a perfect arc. The sidewalls perfectly straight, and the colour perfectly even. Use cheap nail enamel and practice till it's perfect first time every time. THAT'S what clients expect. I don't expect flooded cuticles, dragged, ragedy sidewalls, and the free edge not fully covered and sealed if I'm paying a 'pro' for a service. As a nail pro, you should be able to paint a perfect freehand French without issue.
I've not worked as a therapist for many years, and I can still paint perfectly.

The cuticle should be a perfect arc. I don't expect flooded cuticles
I don't expect any cuticles with my paint job, flooded or not... Although I know what you mean lol :wink2:

Boots are selling uv lamps and polishes too!!

This was actually how I started doing nails. I used to go to a salon regularly for gelish nails and didn't have a problem with them at all until I had a week off of them and realised that my nails were really weak. I'd never known anything about gelish but I did know that they were suppost to make your nails healthier. The lady who did mine (and was fully qualified I might add) FILED them off to remove them, I'd never done them or had them before so I just assumed that was how they were meant to be removed. So I bought them myself. I enjoyed doing them so much that I went on a harmony gelish course and now go mobile. I love it so much but don't judge the DIYers because sometimes you just have to do it.

Latest posts

Back