People Shellac-ing themselves

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about DIY nails there's a groupon now for UV gel kit and nearly 500 people have bought it!!! See things like this all the time but has not affected my business, shellac all the way!

I saw a groupon offer in my area and it had sold 1057 times in 3 days. I am not so worried about the DIYers because my clients come to me because they can't polish their own nails. But I do worry that more people will become allergic to the gel polishes because they don't understand about the precautions that they need to take where uncured gel is concerned.

I did shellac on my friend a couple of times then her mum bought a cheap kit off EBay and did it for her as she couldn't afford to keep having me.
I look at it this way, if she couldn't afford me she was no longer going to use me so I haven't lost out by her mum buying a kit, I lost out because she can't afford it.
This gives me more time to do someone who can afford me.
There are plenty of customers out there for us all, the ones who can afford it will come, the ones that can't will do their own, I suppose it's like nail polish and box hair dyes.

This was actually how I started doing nails. I used to go to a salon regularly for gelish nails and didn't have a problem with them at all until I had a week off of them and realised that my nails were really weak. I'd never known anything about gelish but I did know that they were suppost to make your nails healthier. The lady who did mine (and was fully qualified I might add) FILED them off to remove them, I'd never done them or had them before so I just assumed that was how they were meant to be removed. So I bought them myself. I enjoyed doing them so much that I went on a harmony gelish course and now go mobile. I love it so much but don't judge the DIYers because sometimes you just have to do it.

The amount of clients iv had who previous nail techs have filled their gelish off is shocking!

Interesting opinions ladies - thank you.

I completely agree that doing your own nails is a pain. I guess because I am only just starting out mobile I am discovering these things as I go along. I am confident with my painting, I've been doing it for years, admittedly Shellac has taken some getting used to with regards to thin application and speeding up my times etc but I know the end result is a good one. I just think people love to save a few pounds even if the result isn't the same but like many of you say, they aren't the type of clients I wish to have anyway!

this thread scared me a bit when i first started reading (as a newbie nail tech desperately trying to actually get some clients) I was thinking so that's why i'm getting no clients, ''they are all at it themselves'' so i felt like hanging up the nail file

however

suppose its no different to them polishing their own with regular polish instead of having a manicure which loads of women have always done, if they want to do it they do it. I personally, before being trained and qualified polished my own due to finances but would of had manicures if i had a bit m ore spare cash

its made realise how important getting my nail art out there is though and trying to hone my nail extensions skills as these are 2 areas that they are less likely to be doing themselves

I have one of my friends who bought a cheap lamp and some CND Shellac off someone (her friend whos a nail tech bought them for her !!!! :irked::irked:), at the time she bought her products I started my course with CND, after a couple weeks I asked her how she was going doing her own nails and she admitted she gave up because it wasn't working properly and took too long !! :|

another friend of mine bought a cheap lamp and when I finished my course she asked if I could buy her some OPI gelcolour, after listing off the reasons of not having correct lamp and issues that can arise and the cost per bottle of colour, she very quickly changed her mind and is now booked in for me to do them for her (mates rates of course) ;)

I think that's the thing that annoyed me, I want to be offering something which isnt readily available for home use, but I guess with the likes of Amazon and Ebay, that is becoming more and more difficult! The person I know who has purchased her diy kit has a cheap lamp but the other products are genuine

its never the same as a pro doing it, even when i used to polish my own before training i got fed up with not being able to get it as good as a pro and when a nail broke i couldn't fix it, that was the worst, but now i can, so breaking nail is no longer the end of the world as 20 mins later its like it never happened ....Love it :)

I think that's the thing that annoyed me, I want to be offering something which isnt readily available for home use, but I guess with the likes of Amazon and Ebay, that is becoming more and more difficult! The person I know who has purchased her diy kit has a cheap lamp but the other products are genuine

Well shallac will not work without it's own lamp so that is not going to work out very well for her for a start.

Shellac is as exclusive as it gets in a world where anyone can get anything if they want to badly enough.

CND certainly do not condone the selling of anything to non pros and here in the UK if people are getting it, then they are buying illegal goods that have been shiped illegally or they are buying stolen goods or they are buying diverted goods. One or the other.

Latest posts

Back