Persistent lifter - I use Ret +, please advise

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bev Rose

Reaction score
I have a client who wears her nails seriously SHORT!

I do a NNO on her using CND Retention + & perfect Colours Pink & white.

When she came back for her next appointment for infills, she had quite a bit of lift.
I filed the lifting away, did a really serious prep & infilled.

Her nails lifted so bad, that she had lost about 4 and the others were really lifting.

I did a thorough prep, and a scrubfresh sandwich and reapplied being mega careful and left a good margin around her nails.
her natural nails do grow in a 'Fan shape' and she has very small nails, like a child.
She has a horse and rides regularly throughout the week. Doing all the usual stuff, mucking out, cleaning the saddle brushing the horse and whatever else it takes to keep a horse - but her nails are really short, no where near the end of her hyponichium, in fact, I would say she almost has no free edge at all in the way she likes them so short. I do P&W on her.
She is an office based accountant during the day.
When she came back again, her lifting was bad - coming in from both sides and leaving just a small line of attached product down the centre of the nail:irked:.
I even tried using NSI as a new set, with acid free NSI primer & using NSI Pure. No Joy, just the same.
I removed that and replaced the lot with CND, again using the scrubfresh sandwich & primer. Back she came yesterday with lifting. I had noticed her nail plates were still shiney even though I'd done a thorough prep & the SF sandwich. Which makes me think she's has VERY oily nail plates.
This time I did one hand at a time, and did SF/NF/SF/NF/Primer...re-applied CND Ret+ & perfect colours Pink & white.
This is my prep procedure....
1. Sanitise out hands with cool blue
2. Apply cuticle remover to all 10 nail around the cuticle area
3. Use my pushie to push back the eponychium
3 Use the chisel around the re-growth area to remove pterigyium (sp?!)
4. Use my CND/Designer nails Probe to remove the remaining dead skin cells and get down into the sidewalls.
5. Removed the Cuticle remover with citrusoak & water solution.
6. File away any lifted product and make flush to the nail any remaining product that is still properly adhered.
7. Clean away debris with Plush brush & manicure brush
8. Scrubfresh all 10 nails - pulling down the sidewalls and getting right into that area.
(normally I would then go ahead with my product application on other clients)
9. Apply Nail Fresh.
10. Scrubfresh again.
11. Apply Acid Free CND Primer
12. Apply products - starting with zone 1 free edge white.

That is basically how I've dealt with her, but this last time I did another Nail Fresh and worked one hand at a time & SF/NF/SF/NF/Primed the other.

Would it benefit me to try using Radical & Solar Nail Powders on her? Although, I think it's an excessively oily nail plate??

She's doing my head in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

Please help a frustrated old tech xxxxxx

Last edited:
Try doing a dry prep, skipping the cuticle remover.

I'd be more inclined to think it is something she is using which is lifting the product. Think of the lift which Cillit Bang gives. She could be using some kind of stong cleaning product in her work with the horses or in her home. If the enhancement detatched from the nail plate and had been detached for a while, well the shine would come back as the natural olis came back into the nail.
Hope you get to the bottom of it x

ok, i dont use CND, but when i was at Lee's 1-2-1 with Geeg the other day, I remember she said if your client lifts with one, switch to the other (Im talking about Radical and Ret+).

im pretty sure thats what she said anyway!!!

also, isnt the whole 'oily nail plate' thing a myth?!?!

Try doing a dry prep, skipping the cuticle remover.

Hi Sheryl - I actually did a dry prep this time - didn't mention that did i? Sorry xx

ok, i dont use CND, but when i was at Lee's 1-2-1 with Geeg the other day, I remember she said if your client lifts with one, switch to the other (Im talking about Radical and Ret+).

im pretty sure thats what she said anyway!!!

Ok, I'll give that a go next time she comes (2 wks). I got some with my sample of Popits at Excel I think.

I've asked her about cleaning products and bleaches & cillit bang, but she's not much of a one for using those sort of chemicals.

She had rubbed some yellow sulphar stuff on her dogs rash on it's leg this time, which had gone under the lifting area, no staining was left.
It had gone under it, so therefor, I'm guessing was not the cause of it. But that's not likely, I guess, as her lifting was an issue before she started rubbing the dogs leg with the yellow lotion.

I'm not CND but I tend to think she is fibbing a little re the horse stuff.
I've seen your work many times hun and I tend to go the way we hate to.
Clients fib.
No idea about the CND stuff but tbh I think she's having you on.
SHE is not looking after her nails and that is part of the deal? tbh.
Give something else a go if you think it may help (like I say I don't fully understand CND but if there's another option TRY IT!!!)
I tend to think it's more the clients fault than yours mate.
Good luck x

you know what i have 2 clients who have identical nail types and they both get lifting...both are fan shape....both are flat with a slight ski jump...no natural curve to them at all....both ex nail biters...i am sure its something to do with their nails cos none of my other clients have lifting.

i sometimes think that as i am trying to create a more curvy nail, i probably apply more product to try and create this look and then it just sort of pops up...the only thing that i have found works better is to make them thinner...and try to keep the natural shape of the nail. I don't know if that makes sense...:lol:

Just double check what i said tho, im 99.9% sure thats what geeg said, but like i said, im not a CND gal!

Ok, I'll give that a go next time she comes (2 wks). I got some with my sample of Popits at Excel I think.

I've asked her about cleaning products and bleaches & cillit bang, but she's not much of a one for using those sort of chemicals.

She had rubbed some yellow sulphar stuff on her dogs rash on it's leg this time, which had gone under the lifting area, no staining was left.
It had gone under it, so therefor, I'm guessing was not the cause of it. But that's not likely, I guess, as her lifting was an issue before she started rubbing the dogs leg with the yellow lotion.

I'm not CND but I tend to think she is fibbing a little re the horse stuff.
I've seen your work many times hun and I tend to go the way we hate to.
Clients fib.
No idea about the CND stuff but tbh I think she's having you on.
SHE is not looking after her nails and that is part of the deal? tbh.
Give something else a go if you think it may help (like I say I don't fully understand CND but if there's another option TRY IT!!!)
I tend to think it's more the clients fault than yours mate.
Good luck x

Thanks for that Judy :hug:
It does pee you off when you know you've done your prep right, applied your product correctly and have basically no real problems with other clients.

But also, tbh, her nail plates are very shiney, even after I've prepped them to within an inch of their lives!!!
Maybe, I'll give the Radical a try & do the scrubfresh sandwich on each nail separately & get the product on quick & move on to the next one.
Her skin around the nails does go whitish, as they do, but her blooming plates shine!

She's not complaining about the fact she's got lifting, she's a happy bunny really, as all the other times she's had nails on elsewhere, they have been off within a week, so she's quite happy - it's me that's throwing me dummy out! LOL!

You sure she's not on any meds?
You don't have to say a word on here..but a quiet word and you may solve the problem.
Sometimes peeps don't like to admit that they are taking tablets.....you can kindof understand it but it could make some sense?

bev . you did say anything about removing the shine with your 240? also I always do my file work before I do my cuticle work as the remover can disguise any lift.

and I do think her natural shape isn't helping, like Angie said above my 'lifter' has the same nails as Angie described and I have come to the belief that as soon as her nails grow they tend to just 'pop' away, with a couple of her nails which are more ski jump I re tip instead of them getting to a nno,
radical is better for clients who need tougher enhancements, worth a go, as would brisa,she might need a bit extra flexibility that the brisa would give her. xx

bev . you did say anything about removing the shine with your 240? also I always do my file work before I do my cuticle work as the remover can disguise any lift.

and I do think her natural shape isn't helping, like Angie said above my 'lifter' has the same nails as Angie described and I have come to the belief that as soon as her nails grow they tend to just 'pop' away, with a couple of her nails which are more ski jump I re tip instead of them getting to a nno,
radical is better for clients who need tougher enhancements, worth a go, as would brisa,she might need a bit extra flexibility that the brisa would give her. xx

Hi Claire,
Yes I do remove the shine with my 240 after I have done the file work.
But the bugger comes back really quickly.

I have done a thin overlay. Her nails are very flat and do grow out in a fan from the side walls. She comes every 2wks and they do grow about 2mm, and I reduce the length back to nothing each time.
I'll try her with Radical.
When I've been to the Event, I'll be able to offer Brisa (need to buy the lamp) after I've had a good practise.
Need to go and hunt down a video on gel/brisa application!

try to prep nail by nail so shine hasn't got time to get back :green:
so prep thoroughly and then immediately place your product
one tip i also was given by a realy known nailtech was if the nail plate was too greasy and the above didn't help it could help if you wipe the nail very shortly with a pad with aceton ( did get this tip but never had to use it so don't know if it helps)

there is one thing you might try , which i do on a couple of clients who have problems.

do the tip with l/p acrylic and the rest of the nail with gel.

the tip is mega strong and good for the clumsy ones and the gel has a lot of flex and cuts down lifting.

Latest posts

Back