personalised plates and tax refunds

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllaX

Reaction score
sorry its un-nail related
on mandys poll she asked who had personal plates (i have) and i noticed there was a few of you so you maybe able to help me here.

sold my car to a major car dealer - usually i keep the tax disc out of my old car and send it off 4 a refund (theres 9 months still on it so thats about £80) however the dealer took it off me and put it in an envelope for dvla saying it was now void and i dont get a refund. have rung dvla and they say i do, apparantly they transfer the disc back to the old reg send back to garage and they send it back to me for a refund - im so confused now - has anyone else had this prob?? xx

This is a car dealers favourite thing, they make loads from the refunds of car tax discs, although they may have taken the refund into account when they valued your car, and it often says it on your written contract. I think you need to have a word with the Sales Manager of the Car Dealership.

Hi

I work in Fleet and I know that you can get a refund. What should have happened was that you send it back, the dealer has obviously got a nice meal out on you! I would ring him up and tell him!

xx

Hi,
I have just bought a new car from a major dealer and the salesman told me to take my tax disc out before I handed the car over and I would get a refund, it only had a couple of months left on it, but every little counts. So it sounds to me like he has pulled a fast one, I would phone them and give him the rough edge of my tongue!! Good luck

have rung the dvla and wrote down exactly what they said told them the dealer and everything (they said take it up with the dealer but told me what should have happened) - then i rung the dealer and explained to them that id called the dvla and WAS entitled to a refund - they then chased it up with their admin dept who phoned me and the refund is in the post now apparantly they have sent it off on my behalf with relevant paperwork, i was told wrongly last night by an admin girl who was just covering - still i always thought that it woul be ME that sent it off not them.
also was charged £125 for a years tax on new car - looked at the tax disc this morn and tax was only was £100!!! ggggrrrrrrrrrr
only £25 i know but its still £25!!
i think its cos we are women dealers think we are an easy target. xx

Oh hun, u are having some trouble with this aint ya!!??

Did you get a reciept with your tax? if you did I would definately go back and complain!!! get your money back, 25 quid is 25 quid at the end of the day!!!!

I hop it all gets sorted out with the tax!!!!

Good Luck!!!!

ps, I got all the papers through for my number plate, just got to wait till I buy my new car now!!!! he he!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

mand778 said:
ps, I got all the papers through for my number plate, just got to wait till I buy my new car now!!!! he he!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hope you have more luck then me!!!! first time it was stright forward just this time ive had a going on. what car you thinking of getting. xx

I'm thinking of getting an all black ford ka!!!!!! I can't wait!!! probly wait a couple of months till i start looking then get it insured the day i hit 21, december time so the insurance will be lower, save me a few pennies!! lol

What car have you just brought????

i got a silver fiesta zetec. my sisters just got a ford ka - shes just turned 21 (friday) her insurance is not a lot cheaper then normal (it goes on no claims discount mainly rather then age) its when you get to 25 it goes down. saying that hers was about 200 cheaper then my fisrt car was and i was 18 when i got that x

yeah, that is what I thought but with my insurance comp, it goes down a bit when I get to 21. Plus my insurance on my current car is up in november so I get 1 years no claims (fingers crossed) and renewal discount too!!! so I'd just transfer it over to my ka.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My insurance is up for renewall on Friday and my brooker quoted me £690, with 5 years no claims. Went onto Sheila's wheels and got it down to £495!
My brooker matched it!

x

ha ha, they are little buggers!!!!

I think when you apply for a quote they always quote you a lot higher coz they get bonuses for getting more money out of us!!!

yeah, your best bet is to shop around and go back to your current insurer see whether they will match it!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Had to fax off proof and everything, she didnt believe me at first. I wouldn't mind but I'm 26, 5 years no claims and I actually work in Fleet and am in charge of driver training! Laughable!!!!
I have got a Mercedes though so I suppose you pay the price for driving a nice car.
Next car will be a Steet Ka cause i luv em! Anyone got one???

my insurance is £304 thru the post office (6yrs no claims)- and u get £50 cash back which brings it down to £254!!! - so if any of you geeks are due a renewel soon they got a good deal on.

whitmore said:
Had to fax off proof and everything, she didnt believe me at first. I wouldn't mind but I'm 26, 5 years no claims and I actually work in Fleet and am in charge of driver training! Laughable!!!!
I have got a Mercedes though so I suppose you pay the price for driving a nice car.
Next car will be a Steet Ka cause i luv em! Anyone got one???

OH I would love a Mercedes or a BMW hehe!!!! my friend bought a Street Ka not so long ago and she got a few grand knocked off coz apparently they are not making anymore of them. She was really pleased!

Well how's this for madness. My mum's been with the RAC for insurance for ages. They sent her a renewal notice for £400. So we went online and for ths same insurance it was £186!!!!!!!!!

I have a lexus RX300 and have been with the same broker for years.

This years renewal came through for £480 ish and they said that they have looked around and this is the cheapest.

Anyhow - we got a quote from priveledge (sp) and the quote was £280!

guess what - we have ditched the broker!

Sorry forgot to say that the online quote was ALSO from the RAC, talk about rip off!

I think Norwich Union is quite good because they are not too expensive! I was with Admiral when I first got a car and I think they are really expensive! My second year I thought I would see what the quote was with Admiral and it was about £980 and then checked with Norwich Union and they quoted me £840 so there is a big difference!

Norwich Union do this thing where u build up your no claims quicker, every 9 months I think its for young drivers. Only thing is you have to be with them for the duration of 5 years and not being able to change. So I have another 3 more years with them.

tesco's insurance has always worked for me - cheap as chips !

Latest posts

Back