Pets and new sofas - dilemma Fabric or Leather

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie23

Reaction score
I have decided to redecorate the living room in the next few months, hopefully for Christmas. The dilemma I have is that I cannot make up my mind about whether or not to go for a fabric or a leather sofa. Considering that I have 4 dogs (2 yorkshire terriers and 2 cavaliers) that sit and sleep all over the sofas I want something thats going to stand the test of time. So I would appreciate it if people would offer opinions based on own experience particularly dog owners. The pros and cons I have thought of are:

Fabric

Pro - my preference is fabric, love bold bright patterns and textures. I like plain cream walls and plain velvet curtains, so I can afford to be adventurous with sofas.

Con - dogs might mucky it too quickly would need prof cleaning every so often regardless of scotchguard. In the best will I would forget and mucky paws would walk over it sometimes.

Leather

Pro - easy to clean, can brighten up with scatter cushions

Con - worried dogs will click leather with claws, ethical issues - thinking of returning to vegetarinism again

so you can see i am erring on the side of fabric but torn! help needed :eek: thanks in advance

anne xx

Last edited:
I have dogs that aren't allowed on the sofa but always sneak on there as soon as i walk out of the room! We used to have fabric and it looked shabby fairly quickly even though it was scotchguarded. We had the covers dry cleaned every couple of months but I still felt it didnt look that great. We bought leather sofas last year and it was great. Easy to wipe clean - doesn't retain a 'doggy smell' :eek: Only bad thing was that our cat (who has since died) used the back of one as a scratching post but we can get that sorted with insurance. I'm all for the leather sofa! x

We had a beautiful fabric sofa at our old house but I got a bit giddy when selling it and told a young couple they could have all the furniture & white goods :eek: my husband wasn't overly happy with me at this point cos they were all like new haha, so when we moved I was in a similar place to you fabric/leather? We went for leather because it is sooo much easier with kids/pets cos you can just give it a wipe over and it's good as new but I do miss the warmth of a fabric sofa. Our old one was quite a neutral colour & I was constantly cleaning it and I don't find leather holds on to animal smells as much as fabric too. hth's

xx

thanks so far, never thought of the smells as well, with 4 it can be an issue at times - another good pro for leather

anne xx

Lakeland also do a fab cleaning kit for leather that you do just a couple of times a year to keep it really fresh looking, it has a cleaning sol/moisturiser and stain remover in it.

xx

If you choose fabric, I highly recommend micro fiber. It's the BEST fabric I've ever had on a sofa. It's long lasting and it cleans up like a dream.

We have cats and I purchased a pet sofa cover. It really helps keeping the pet hair and 'residue' off the sofa. HTH! :)

The persians have dessicated my leather sofas. My cavalier spanial having a snuggle on it really is the least of my problems! I would always plump for leather with animals, mainly because of the smell issue.

I have a fabric settee and a dog, no smells at all ( the kids smell more! )
I had leather but exchanged it for fabric imo its much more homely, comfortable and cosy, choose colour carefully and you wont see any marks x

i have a singing dancing leather chair (actually its just a heat and massage one!) and its been absolutely ruined by my cats they wont leave it alone also my dog(no longer with us) used to love anything leather whether it be a pair of leather gloves or furniture and chew it think it was the lovely smell!!

i have just invested in a new sofa and opted for a fabric one for these very reasons as i think id be gutted if i spent a small fortune on a snazzy leather sofa for it to be ruined by the animals and as most insurance companies in my experience will tell you your insurance wont cover you for your pets ruining your furniture!! and at least you can still clean up fabric if needed!

plus few years back with my ex, we had a leather sofa and it was hot and sweaty in the summer and freezing cold when you first sit on it in the winter!!!

i am actually now thinking about getting a professional cleaner to sort out my sofa and chair (had to get rid of other sofa to make way for a hospital bed) as a temporary measure so as not under so much pressure to save for new, I can take my time that way to save.

Plus I really love the sofa I already have (see attached pic with 2 dogs sleeping for the awwww factor) I am also considering buying a chaise longue cos I have a medical problem with legs and need to have legs raised a lot - thing is I feel a bit lady of the manor, so not me :eek: its mainly for practicality. I think it does look nice when one chair/sofa is different from the others.

anne xx

Attachments

• sleepingDogs.jpg
    sleepingDogs.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 70
I have 2 leather sofas, my wire fox terrier has scratched them with jumping up and also scratching his way up to the tops to look out the window & I have yet to find something that will restore the colour (dark brown) where he has scratched them -I've even used solar oil on the scratches lol! No luck tbh.
So next time, it's a fabric jobbie for me xxxx

Attachments

• Bob at 1yr old resized.jpg
    Bob at 1yr old resized.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 63
Hi ,

I have a fabic sofa with removable covers and it came with two sets . I plumped for one set in cream and the other Burgandy ( my winter one )

I have a cavalier who insists on sleeping on the sofa with me .

I bought a cream throw and I put this over the seat part of the sofa . That way I do not have to worry if she sneaks up there with muddy paws and I can wash it when needed .

She only goes on the big sofa so its not a problem . No smells at all

xx

I sort of have the same problem. I have two small Children under 5 and are as messy as pets!!!!! sticky fingers, crayons, you name it. I have a leather sofa and love the fact that I can wipe it over with baby wipes!!!! I have learnt to use throws on the sofa when crayons are about. Why not use some huge throws that if your pets mess up, you can just pop them into the washing machine. Take them off when people come and visit.

xx Good luck xx

Hi there, well I have a Frenchie and he sheds like there is no tomorrow, So when I got new sofas, that was one of the factors. Ikea do the Klippan sofas and they are great because you can get so many different covers and as the covers are removable you can just throw them in the washing machine, and if you really couldn't make up your mind you could always get the leather one and then get the fabric covers as spares or a different look as well. Having said that, with leather, you needn't worry that when your guests get up from the sofa they will be covered in hair :lol:. Bugs jumps all over my sofas, and when I had a leather one, he didn't leave scratch marks on it, or maybe I was just lucky:lol:.
Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back